• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Sergio Santos is killing me. :(

so far I am glad the White Sox have Hector Santiago as their closer instead of Santos. I hope Santos turns it around for you though as he is a feel good story(drafted as a position player and converted to a pitcher in the minors) and I hope he has more success than just the two years with the White Sox.

so far I am glad the White Sox have Hector Santiago as their closer instead of Santos. I hope Santos turns it around for you though as he is a feel good story(drafted as a position player and converted to a pitcher in the minors) and I hope he has more success than just the two years with the White Sox.

Is the video of him being told he made the roster online somewhere?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jango needs to stay out of the race wars threads. (I'm assuming that's what did him in again. Who knows, could be ponygaf related or something.)

I believe in the "On The List" theory. You say something that's not quite ban-worthy but close, they put you on the list. The next time you say something kinda close, it's like meeting Elijah Dukes. I've seen too many examples of this to argue against it.

Quick

Banned
Oh shit, sound the alarm :(

Fun game until the 9th, oh well

There was a feel-good attitude for most of the night (outside of the various fights in the other sections), then that all went out the window in just a few minutes into the 9th. Really hope Santos gets his shit together.

There was one fight in particular that entertained a few of us in our section. Someone got doused with a shit ton of beer. I saw scuffles, then BEER SHOWER.

Someone nearby got nailed with a foul ball right in the face. The guy was leaking pretty bad and I think he had to get stitched up. I saw him riding around in the EMS cart with a couple of big marks on his face.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i could never find any video or audio before on walt weiss's great play in the 1999 nlds vs the astros. Well just now I found a audio clip!

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/99gm3.mp3

got to be one of the greatest plays i have ever seen. I believe the situation was that rocker came into the game with the bases loaded and no outs in game 3? I think it was extra innings as well (astros home team). Ball was hit up the middle and he made a incredible diving play and threw it home for the force out.

wish there was a video of it online :(

the audio does not do it justice.

bunch of other audio/video clips on here http://www.astrosdaily.com/media/ (mostly astro stuff)

edit: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU199910080.shtml

edit2: also, it would be nice if mlb fucking released a greatest games compliation for the braves like every other team on the planet. i'd buy the shit out of that

Chuck

Still without luck
Welp, with Jangocube gone for 2 weeks, I'm going to do my best to fill in as token Orioles superfan. :p

...I'll probably do a poor job so apologies in advance.

Ah, poor Jango. Didn't seem like what he said was too bad, but one backhanded comment did him in.

I'm curious to see where the Orioles will be in the standings when he returns.

Windu

Ah, poor Jango. Didn't seem like what he said was too bad, but one backhanded comment did him in.

I'm curious to see where the Orioles will be in the standings when he returns.
looking at their upcoming schedule..i'd say last in the east.

verbum

Well the media is starting to really look at Fredi Gonzalez:
Let’s rank the Braves’ relievers in order from best to cannon fodder, shall we:

Craig Kimbrel
Jonny Venters
Eric O’Flaherty
Kris Medlen
Cristhian Martinez
Livan Hernandez
Chad Durbin

There’s nothing controversial there, right. One could argue about the order of the last two, but really, no one can possibly be that bored.

Now let’s look at the innings those seven guys have thrown during the Braves’ 0-4 skid to start the season:

Craig Kimbrel – 0
Jonny Venters – 1
Eric O’Flaherty – 1
Kris Medlen – 3
Cristhian Martinez – 2
Livan Hernandez – 3 2/3
Chad Durbin – 2

Isn’t there something wrong with that picture? Every game the Braves have played has been close at some point. They lost the first 1-0, the second 4-2 with Hernandez giving up a run in the seventh, the third 7-5 after a gallant comeback attempt in the seventh and eighth innings.

It was Monday night’s game that manager Fredi Gonzalez employed a particularly atrocious strategy. The top three relievers are all rested and ready to go, yet down 4-3 to the Astros after five, Gonzalez picked Hernandez, who gave up two runs in two innings. Durbin then came in during the eighth and gave up two more runs to finish any hopes of a late comeback.

And that’s just ridiculous. No, the Braves never did score again tonight, so looked at that way, Gonzalez didn’t cost them anything by going with his worst arms. Still, it’d be nice if he started playing to win one of these days.
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/10/please-fredi-stop-using-your-worst-relievers-in-close-games/

HOUSTON — A day after Jason Heyward hit a two-run double Sunday that was the Braves’ only hit this season in 14 at-bats with runners in scoring position at New York, the right fielder was out of the lineup Monday against the Astros and Matt Diaz was in right.

Diaz was 8-for-15 with a home run against left-hander J.A. Happ, Houston’s Monday starter.

Rather than play Martin Prado at third base and Diaz in left, Gonzalez said he wanted to get third baseman Juan Francisco some at-bats against to get some idea of what Francisco could do against a left-hander before Jones returned to the lineup. The Braves acquired the left-handed hitting Francisco from Cincinnati in a trade on the last weekend of spring training.

In parts of three major league seasons with the Reds, Francisco hit .284 with 11 doubles, one triple, five homers and 29 RBI in 169 at-bats, only 26 of which came against lefties.

“I just want to see the other kid Francisco [against a lefty],” Gonzalez said. “If we activate Chipper in the near future I’d like to see [Francisco] play against a lefty just in case we have to [later].”

With the Reds’ Triple-A team last season, he hit .343 (72-for-210) against right-handers with 10 homers, a .370 on-base percentage and a .956 OPS, while against lefties he hit .269 (29-for-108) with six homers, a .298 OBP and .798 OPS.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/04/09/francisco-at-3rd-diaz-in-rf-heyward-on-bench/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

Not looking good for Fredi so far, whatever support he had is starting to disappear.

h3ro

Jango down.

mXnLD.jpg

Also, this is pretty amazing:

gafgoldmastersmall128l3zkw.gif

Runus

Fredi has got to go. His bullpen management is unbelievably bad. I was also greatly confused by not playing Heyward last night. I was pretty hyped for this season, but not so much now. I know it's still early, but the Braves just make my days a little less happy every day.

Sucks that Jango got banned.

It is really early in the season and I think the Braves will still be in the running for the division but I am really surprised to see Durbin getting a lot of work for them. He really sucked for the Phils last year. He is one of those guys that if you bring him in to a blowout he can get out but if you bring him into a tight situation he totally fucks it up. I wouldnt trust that guy at all.

Windu

Well to be fair, fredi didnt have spring training to look at Francisco since we just got him on the 1st. I didnt mind heyward being out of the lineup. He is not going to play 162 games this season anyway and a lefty is a logical place to not start him. Just don't sit him for long periods of time like last season and I am fine with it.

bryehn

Ah! SANTOS!

Can we get Rauch and Frank Francisco back? Maybe League? Hell, even Gregg!

25 blown saves last year, already on pace for 80 :/

Well to be fair, fredi didnt have spring training to look at Francisco since we just got him on the 1st. I didnt mind heyward being out of the lineup. He is not going to play 162 games this season anyway and a lefty is a logical place to not start him. Just don't sit him for long periods of time like last season and I am fine with it.

Him not using his best relievers to keep the game close last night is the bigger problem.

I believe the bats will come around, see Uggla last year, but you have to give your team a chance to win in close games and you're not going to do that when you put your worst 2 pitchers out there.

Also, the left side of the infield better get their shit together.

Jon

RIP Jango. We'll see you again soon, when your team is 3 and 12.

Windu, how are you holding up man? When will the NL East return to its natural order?

Jon

Even as a South Floridian, I'll never understand why people are so obsessed with Fidel.

Well, are you Cuban? I doubt any other Floridians are as passionate as Cubans who have escaped. I mean, when you have to flee a country via row boat, something must be going wrong.

Windu

RIP Jango. We'll see you again soon, when your team is 3 and 12.

Windu, how are you holding up man? When will the NL East return to its natural order?
the braves are only 1 game back from the phillies and 1.5 (1 in the loss column) from the marlins with 158 games to go. I'm fine.

oh and chipper is back tonight too.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Seattle got touched up badly...but I have to say I am impressed with the offense they have displayed so far. The youngsters are hitting well, especially Kyle and Ackley(who had an 0er today)

Ichiro is hitting well and Figgins could be the CBPotY..

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Even as a South Floridian, I'll never understand why people are so obsessed with Fidel.

You don't understand why a city with more than 30% of it's populace being Cuban might be more sensitive to comments nobody else really cares about?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1180...ntary-remarks-about-fidel-castro-in-2008.html

Let me take you back to September 2008.

I interviewed Ozzie, then the White Sox’ manager, for a back-page Q & A in the national magazine Men’s Journal.

I asked him questions such as “What’s the best advice you ever received?’’ (“Be youself.’’) and “What’s your nickname?’’ (“Paio.’’) and “Do you ever wish you were somebody else?’’ (“Yes, Ron Jeremy. No, no — a bullfighter, Morenito de Maracay.’’

And I asked him this: “Who’s the toughest man you know?’’

His response, which took me by surprise: “Fidel Castro.’’

Why?

“He’s a bull---- dictator and everybody’s against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him,’’ Ozzie replied. “Everywhere he goes, they roll out the red carpet. I don’t admire his philosophy; I admire him.’’

There is a distinction in what he's saying there and he's said it before and nobody cared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom