• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think people are remembering Utley's D as better then it acrtually was. He was really good before but not very good at all last year. Galvis has more range then Utley ever had, and especially last year.

Great win by the Phils tonight. The offense has looked so much better the last 2 games. Blanton looked great tonight, hopefully he can some how keep that up the rest of the year.
Utley had the knees of an 85-year-old grandmother last year, and even then he was awesome with good range.

Why I am defending Utley's value to a Phillies fan?

LOL, I love Utley, even got a new Utley jersey last year. I just think Galvis is a better defensive player, Utley is much better at everything else though. Which one of those stats you linked is supposed to show range?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If you look on the right-ish side of the Advanced Fielding columns, there's one that says "RngR" which is his runs saved above average by range factor. Not a completely accurate number, especially given the sample size, but it's still a pretty good indicator. He also had the 3rd highest RngR score among 2Bs last year, for the record.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ethier just got nailed... why do I get these games by the way? Is the MLB giving a free trial right now or something? I've been loving watching every game.

Anyone check on Greinke lately? Make sure he didn't off himself.

2na8nzp.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Still sad the Rays traded away Garza :(

Guess it can still pay off in the end. Archer was pretty filthy the other night and Hak-Ju Lee is still the future!

And of course it got us The Legend, Sam Fuld.

Can someone explain blackouts to me? (I am trying to get into baseball this year, so I am unfamiliar with some stuff).

I wanted to subscribe to mlb.tv on the iPad today so I could watch the Padres/Dbacks game, but both clubs are listed as blackouts to me. Then, seeing the ToS, it says all postseason games are blacked out, along with Fox games. What does any of this mean? Does this mean I can't watch any Padres or Dbacks games?

Carlbeego

Can someone explain blackouts to me? (I am trying to get into baseball this year, so I am unfamiliar with some stuff).

I wanted to subscribe to mlb.tv on the iPad today so I could watch the Padres/Dbacks game, but both clubs are listed as blackouts to me. Then, seeing the ToS, it says all postseason games are blacked out, along with Fox games. What does any of this mean? Does this mean I can't watch any Padres or Dbacks games?

You live in an area where they broadcast those games. Either Padres or Dbacks

I know the Padres are on Cox cable. If you have Direct TV Dbacks are on there on one of the Fox sports channels.

Postseason games get broadcasted live on TBS and Fox for the alds/nlcs/alcs

Fox for the world series.

My home team is the Dbacks. So, I won't be able to watch any of their games on the iPad because of the blackout? And, I won't be able to watch the World Series because they will be on Fox and therefore be blackouted as well? Not being able to watch my home team makes no sense (so that's why people complain about blackouts!)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
My home team is the Dbacks. So, I won't be able to watch any of their games on the iPad because of the blackout? And, I won't be able to watch the World Series because they will be on Fox and therefore be blackouted as well? Not being able to watch my home team makes no sense (so that's why people complain about blackouts!)
enter your Zip Code in the text field at the bottom of this page: http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?c_id=mlb&affiliateId=mlbMENU#date=4/12/2012

Blackout Rules: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_subscriptions.jsp#q8

I think on the iPad mlb uses the gps to find out your location. (at least that is what it does on the iPhone). There used to be a jailbroken app that you could install which was something like Fake My Location or whatever to get around it. Not sure if it works still. On the PC/Mac side it just uses your ip address so you can use a proxy server to get around it if you really want to.

basically, they don't want to piss off the TV Networks. If you have access to the games on TV, they want you to watch it on TV. (or it could be like me where they black you out of Astros, Rangers, Royals and Cardinals and you can only get Astros games, /cheer). The whole thing is based off of how far teams radio signals could travel back in the day, so that is what their market is. (basically it makes no sense)
also notgraphs recently had a article explaining it: http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/mlb-blackout-rules/
Chad Moriyama complains about nine teams being blacked out in Hawaii, which, last I checked, is not within reasonable driving distance to any major league ballpark. So I thought it would be helpful to put together a complete list of MLB’s blackout rules.

1. Teams have exclusive rights to broadcast video into designated territories. These territories were determined in 1806, before the invention of Major League Baseball, the invention of video, and the statehood of the most recent 33 states to join the union.

2. Territories are determined based on the following criteria, in no particular order:

(A) Where the team’s games are carried on local network or cable television.
(B) Where the team’s games could be carried on local network or cable television, if a cable company wanted to bother.
(C) Where someone could realistically drive to attend the team’s games.
(D) Where there is at least one recorded fan of the team, perhaps with a blog or Twitter account or something like that.
(E) The nearest major league team, even if that team is hundreds of miles away, except when (F) applies.
(F) Not the nearest major league team, but some other team that’s sort of near, or used to be the nearest team until some other team came into existence.
(G) An entire country, if that country is Canada, because only one person lives in Canada anyway.

3. If you live somewhere, and you like a particular team, there is a 100% chance that team’s games will be blacked out.

4. Teams have exclusive blackout rights to regions that range from zero square feet (in the case of the Rangers and Astros, which share blackout territory) to entire sections of the country (in the case of the Red Sox, which has exclusive blackout rights to New England).

5. Also, all games are blacked out Sunday through Saturday, day and night, for nationally televised and untelevised games on FOX, TBS, ESPN, MLB Network, Cartoon Network, the Home Shopping Network, and some dude with Skype and a Slingbox and a PlayStation doing some fancy technological stuff.

6. Seriously, the actual map of blackout territories is pretty ridiculous to look at.

Fedos

Baseball Tonight crew says that V Mart might be able to make it back sometime later in the season, not needing surgery. Would be great to see him return to the lineup, might have the kind of effect that Delmon had last year when we went on that winning streak heading into the playoffs.

I suppose I can turn off location services on the iPad, connect to a proxy somewhere on the east coast, and then watch the games that way? I, I guess, I don't understand why they do this. Is it supposed to be at incentive for me to go to the game?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I suppose I can turn off location services on the iPad, connect to a proxy somewhere on the east coast, and then watch the games that way? I, I guess, I don't understand why they do this. Is it supposed to be at incentive for me to go to the game?
they want you to watch it on tv.

zulux21

So, I guess there's no reason for me to subscribe. Bummer.
The thing most people overlook is the fact that even with black outs you can watch the games after they finish in the archive as the blackouts are only while the game is being broadcast live. I know it's more fun to watch them live, but if you can keep yourself from learning the scores you can actually set MLB.TV to not tell you the scores at all and just watch stuff a few hours late or the next day.

sangreal

if you want to watch inmarket games, just get a slingbox. Better than the inmarket streaming options offered by teams. Assuming you have cable, but that is required for the stream too

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Joe Maddon on the Rays playing in Boston's home opener for Fenway's 100th anniversary:

"That's cool, it's very cool," manager Joe Maddon said. "In our country we don't have enough old stuff to celebrate its 100th anniversary. I think it's great. It's a baseball situation. Good for them. Obviously, it's an iconic park. And I do love it. I think it's a great place to play, and I'm looking forward to it."

Luke Scott on the Rays playing in Boston's home opener for Fenway's 100th anniversary:

"As a baseball player, going there to work, it's a dump."

"I mean, it's old. It does have a great feel and nostalgia, but at the end of the day, I'd rather be at a good facility where I can get my work in. A place where I can go hit in the cage. Where I have space and it's a little more comfortable to come to work.

"You're packed in like sardines there. It's hard to get your work in. ... You have to go to their weight room if you want to lift. From a fan's perspective, it's probably pretty cool to go see a game at a historic park. But from a player's point of view, it's not a place where you want to go to work."

Doytch

"You're packed in like sardines there. It's hard to get your work in. ... You have to go to their weight room if you want to lift. From a fan's perspective, it's probably pretty cool to go see a game at a historic park. But from a player's point of view, it's not a place where you want to go to work."
Isn't...that...how it usually works? I don't understand, does he want some barbells and assorted weights strewn around the dressing room?

Sharp

Joe Maddon on the Rays playing in Boston's home opener for Fenway's 100th anniversary:

Luke Scott on the Rays playing in Boston's home opener for Fenway's 100th anniversary:
It seems kind of hypocritical to me for someone who plays regularly in Tropicana Field to be ripping on other people's stadiums. Then again, I guess he's used to Camden Yards.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Isn't...that...how it usually works? I don't understand, does he want some barbells and assorted weights strewn around the dressing room?

Honestly I don't know, it's Luke Scott.

Maybe most parks have a weight room for the road teams as well? Not sure why that'd be the case, doesn't seem you'd want to go out of your way to help the opposition out.

And yeah it's hilarious for a guy on the Rays to take a dump on Fenway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom