• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

While a shithole, Wrigley is at least significantly more comfortable than Fenway.
Other than the beams that obstruct vision, which just means you should avoid buying seats in infield reserve. Anyways, I love how tight Wrigley Field is compared to most fields in baseball, and I hope it stays for ever. In spite of the shitfest down Clark 81 days a year in Wrigleyville.

I'm two blocks west of Camden Yards...but the Orioles aren't in town. Just my luck.

Doogdogg

A new Fenway would be very nice. Almost happened a decade ago. But that could also be Boston worst nightmare had McCourt ended up being the owner.

And Luke Scott is an asshole.

zulux21

To be fair, the bathroom experience at every ballpark is a little shitty.
It's not bad at all in the 300 section of (I refuse to call it the cell) Comiskey Park. Don't know about 100 or 500 sections anymore as I haven't been to those in years but the 300 section is clean, barely has any lines, and in general a positive experience lol. Of course the 300 section also has vendors who allow you to order off a menu from your seat and deliver food to you so the whole section is a bit above average :p.

Talon

Ordering from your seat is great.

Until you realize you paid $12 for 3 chicken tenders.

Turner Field has some terrible food. With the exception of the Funnel Cake stand behind the 1B line.

How many times did you go?

To Fenway, just once. To the bathroom multiple times. My buddies and I took the train from NH to Boston, and then the subway to the stadium and drank the whole way. I dont know if it was just our section but the mens room just had a trough and some stalls and it was so dirty and smelly, it made me sick every time I went in there. Easily the worst public bathroom I have ever used.

Edit: fuck I want funnel cake now. Disney World had pumpkin funnel cake in epcot and it was amazing. Man I wish I could get that stuff all the time.

Enron

Banned

Turner Field has some terrible food. With the exception of the Funnel Cake stand behind the 1B line.

Just stick with the chick-fil-a stands and everything's ok.

zulux21

Prices are for the most part the same as the other venders in Comiskey with some exclusive items on the seat menu. I Normally just get a Bacon Cheeseburger which was like $5.95 the last time I was there. Throw in a free drink from the DD program and it's not that bad at all for baseball food.

GarzaThrow4.gif.opt_medium.gif

Makes me giggle.

Why is the last gif a routine double play? AM I SUPPOSED TO BE IMPRESSED?

I watched the full highlight. Did he say, "The fuck was that?" to his catcher after the error?

My advice, keep it that way. It's an awesome museum, but it's a fuck-awful ballpark.

Yeah I dont see myself going back. I have my list of stadium I want to visit and Camden Yards is next and then Wrigley. Every summer my wife and I talk about going to Chicago to catch a game and see some sites but it hasnt happened yet.

zulux21

Yeah I dont see myself going back. I have my list of stadium I want to visit and Camden Yards is next and then Wrigley. Every summer my wife and I talk about going to Chicago to catch a game and see some sites but it hasnt happened yet.

There are two teams in Chicago, if you go you should hit both.

RBH

There's a couple of new things at Turner Field that I may try out this weekend:

New to eat

Kevin Rathbun Steak, a concession stand by Section 203, will serve the acclaimed Atlanta chef/restaurateur’s sirloin steak sandwich ($15 with chips).

And in the fan plaza, Braves Brick Oven Pizzeria will cook pizza the old-fashioned way ($8 per slice).
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/whats-new-at-turner-1415082.html

Those prices are ridic, but expected.

New LED board looks nice:

slideshow_1002342353_041212newturner_CC1.jpg

slideshow_1002342355_041212newturner_CC2.jpg

RBH

There's a reason why the Rathbun stand is so expensive. Have you ever been to/heard of his restaraunts in Inman Park? It's fancy-dancy food, at the ballpark. Honestly Turner Field needs a couple of places like this.

I've been to Rathbun's before, so that's why I'm not surprised. I'll be getting the steak sandwich this weekend.

This is also pretty nice:

The Braves are also saying that AT&T has installed more than 330 Wi-Fi access points around the ballpark. I just double-checked with the Braves PR folks and they said it is FREE to use, and you don't have to be an AT&T customer.
http://www.talkingchop.com/2012/4/1...tlanta-braves-new-things-at-the-ted-this-year

zulux21

I have never really anything about the Whitesox stadium, is it really worth seeing?

I personally think it is. When it was first built it was very sterile/unwelcoming and overall not that good of a park, over the last 5-7 years though they have spent a lot of money to make it more friendly/welcoming to the point where I find it to be a fairly nice park. I haven't been to a ton of parks though Just Wrigley a few times (poor park with a funny smell which if you get seats on the ground more than 8 rows back in the infield you will likely be watching the game on a TV on the back of a pillar, though the skyboxes aren't bad.), the metrodome once (decent park but nothing special, the fans... wind blowing ones not baseball ones, can get distracting though) and Miller Park once (I liked this park, it was interesting walking in from the parking lot and being in the upperdeck without having to go up, and in general looked nice... if you are looking to have a burger though... good luck they seem to only have one stand for those and they weren't that good.)

Also I am a white sox fan so I might be a little biased, but in general my views are if you are in a town to hit a park you might as well hit both as who knows when you will be back and get another chance.

Talon

I like US Cellular a lot, actually. Surprisingly nice stadium. The pinwheels are pretty cheesy, but good views to be had all around.

That is a good point. Is Chicago rally big? I am wondering if we stay at a hotel near Wrigley would it be a far trip to the other? If think you have sold me though. It would be nice to one day have visited all the non-NY parks.

Talon

That is a good point. Is Chicago rally big? I am wondering if we stay at a hotel near Wrigley would it be a far trip to the other? If think you have sold me though. It would be nice to one day have visited all the non-NY parks.
The two parks are on opposite sides of the city - go figure. I'd say it's probably a 35~ minute ride on the red line straight from Addison (Wrigley) to Sox-35th (US Cellular).

zulux21

The two parks are on opposite sides of the city - go figure. I'd say it's probably a 35~ minute ride on the red line straight from Addison (Wrigley) to Sox-35th (US Cellular).

googlemaps agrees with that assessment.
with it being a .1 mile walk from wrigley to the train and a .2 mile walk from the train to comiskey.

if you rent a car it says it's a 21 min drive, but in chicago it's usually best to at least double the google maps estimate if it's between the hours of 7am and 6pm lol

Talon

googlemaps agrees with that assessment.
with it being a .1 mile walk from wrigley to the train and a .2 mile walk from the train to comiskey.

if you rent a car it says it's a 21 min drive, but in chicago it's usually best to at least double the google maps estimate if it's between the hours of 7am and 6pm lol
You could trip out of the Addison station and fall right into Wrigley Field. I actually miss living above Lakeview. Nothing like riding through and seeing a packed Wrigley Field right in the neighborhood.

And then the shitshow around it.

Jon

Scott Lewis said:
Heard this: MLB advanced media to crack down on GIFs #nofun #nogifsforyou

Haven't heard anything official on MLB and GIFs, but understanding is they may attempt to impose a 24-48 hour window ban

Seliggggggggggg.

zulux21

You could trip out of the Addison station and fall right into Wrigley Field. I actually miss living above Lakeview. Nothing like riding through and seeing a packed Wrigley Field right in the neighborhood.

And then the shitshow around it.

I lived near Joliet growing up so for the most part it was just one or the other when we came into town. it was always nice to be riding with my dad and the ballpark come into view as both of them stand out in the sea of tall buildings that is chicago.

Talon

I'm sure the conversation went:

Selig: "What are these god damn tiny videos I see?"
Intern: "Those are .gifs, sir. They're looping images."
Selig: "THEY'RE STEALING VIDEO! Unleash the LEGAL TEAM."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom