• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle

Dynasties are bad for the Central! Oh by the way, there were two long dynasties (Indians in the 90's and the Twins in the 00's) for much of it's existence.

I quit reading after that. Did the author even acknowledge that the Tigers DID take the moneyball approach in the early part of the decade and failed spectacularly? Anyone remember Bonderman, Maroth, Robertson? The trio of young pitchers that were supposed to lead Detroit to the promised land? Inge, Thames, Monroe, Pena and Infante? The 'young core' that was supposed to be their future position players?

I feel sick to my stomach thinking about those dark days.

But I wouldn't accuse the Tigers of ever playing "moneyball". They were woeful at drafting, scouting international players, and Illitch seemed far more interested in the Red Wings than the Tigers until it became clear there was going to be a cap in the NHL. There is a certain inelegance about having Victor Martinez, Delmon Young, Miguel Cabrera, and Prince Fielder in the same lineup if all are healthy. I love that we have Fielder and it'll be fun watching this team for the next few years, but I can't help but think that money would've been better spent courting a Beltre or Reyes than another DH.

Cabrera has been better than I expected in the first 6 games at 3rd so I'm not gonna be some concern troll though. I'll save that for my fear of Kansas City killing any thoughts of a Detroit Dynasty in the near future.

In any event, I'd say most of the bigger spending teams are guilty of this same kind of inelegance with the exception of the Rangers so far.

----

Anywho, Peavy striking out our first 2 hitters is not the way I wanted this day to start.

turnbuckle

Haha, game being delayed for a moment as Miguel Cabrera argues that the lines in the batter's box is off by several inches, closer to the pitcher.

zulux21

Haha, game being delayed for a moment as Miguel Cabrera argues that the lines in the batter's box is off by several inches, closer to the pitcher.

I saw Jake Peavy struck out 2 in 9 pitches and on field delay... I had to go find my radio to make sure that Peavy wasn't broken again lol

zulux21

I wanted to ...Chalk it up to Boesch and Jackson being impatient, but now I know it's just the Sox cheating :p

It's cheating that doesn't make much sense though, Scherzer throws harder than Peavy at this point if I am not mistaken so it would help the Tigers more than the White Sox.
Wouldn't be surprised if the guy that chalked the batters box got yelled at though for being lazy and not exact.

I don't recall ever hearing of a delay like that before though.

turnbuckle

It's cheating that doesn't make much sense though, Scherzer throws harder than Peavy at this point if I am not mistaken so it would help the Tigers more than the White Sox.
Wouldn't be surprised if the guy that chalked the batters box got yelled at though for being lazy and not exact.

I don't recall ever hearing of a delay like that before though.

I don't think they were actually cheating

zulux21

I don't think they were actually cheating

sorry, I should have been more telling with my lead in to the guy getting yelled at to let you know I was just continuing on with your joke. I didn't think you were actually trying to call them cheaters I mean you had a ":p" face and everything.

and both pitchers have a perfect game through 1... who will have the wheels fall off and give up 5 runs first?

and both pitchers have a perfect game through 1... who will have the wheels fall off and give up 5 runs first?

*looks at both teams lineups with great detail and bias

I wonder.

Thought Prince was safe, but i wasn't right there like the ump was...

And Peavy lighting the lineup.... up

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I would do that but I like reading the post-game quotes too much.
meh, i don't get much out of those. Its the same bullshit every time. Shitty questions and shitty answers. Athletes are trained to give an answer while saying nothing at all and writers ask the worst questions either because they don't know any better or because they don't want to risk pissing someone off and losing their access.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
meh, i don't get much out of those. Its the same bullshit every time. Shitty questions and shitty answers. Athletes are trained to give an answer while saying nothing at all and writers ask the worst questions either because they don't know any better or because they don't want to risk losing their access.

It's the journalist in me that likes them. It's an instructive process on how not to conduct a competent interview.

I enjoy laughing at the comments section too much.

This too.

h3ro

Council, I apologize for my tardiness due to work but...

A9h60.jpg

to5Ep.jpg

Kuroda looking BAUSS-like so far. :D

ToxicAdam

we should designate regular mlb-gaffers to "root" for the teams that are not represented regularly so we always have someone to talk shit to.

Seriously. I nominate all the Royals fans. They should be allowed to root for their team until June, then once they become mathematically eliminated they should have to pick from a pool of teams to root for after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom