• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Arod seems like the annoying person in your high school who says your name wrong on purpose and makes dumb jokes.

h3ro

Arod seems like the annoying person in your high school who says your name wrong on purpose and makes dumb jokes.

RBPMS.jpg

Talon

I know I said this earlier as part of a joke, but I would literally rather have Livan in the rotation than JJ right now.

Oh, and under the Bobby/Schuerholz administration, you know JJ would have gotten at least 3 more months before anything happened. Better approach? I don't know. Harder to watch though.
Bobby would've given JJ another two years at this rate.

Remember John Thompson?

the guy who said no team in baseball history would ever use a closer to get out of a jam.
Ah hahahaha Amazing

Talon

eznark

Banned
Power Rankings are a thankless job at SI. It get's passed around, is considered a lot of busy work and, as of 2009, it's only about $2000 more for whoever does it.

Sort of hilarious. Chris Mannix used to complain incessantly about doing them.

Not anymore. Now they use the fangraps WAR expected wins.

eznark

Banned
So projecting based on an incredibly small sample size. Hooray, it's as arbitrary as an editor writing it up on his spare time at night.

The numbers are one thing, the justifications are AMAZING!

Here's a case where a team's WAR winning percentage can be more telling than its current record. Judging by wins and losses alone, the Royals have been atrocious. But their offensive line of .254/.316/.408 is pretty close to league average and their pitching hasn't been disastrous. The problem has been when the hits have come: Kansas City has hit just .198 in high-leverage situations. The Royals don't have to play much better in order to start winning games -- they just need to start coming through in the clutch.

Royals need to be more clutchy! Also, if they had some grit I bet that would help too.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
He seems to have pitched well last year. Seems kind of odd that they are dumping him after 4 starts.

I wish the Brewers would do that with Wolf.

It's a combination of him having been terrible since last July and his stuff/mechanics looking like complete crap since the start of spring.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/04/23/mlb.power.rankings/index.html

There simply are not enough lol's in the world. I wonder how badly SI is kicking itself for hitching its wagon to fangraphs?

If the Brewers were ranked higher you'd think it was a fantastic list.

verbum

Honestly, I hadn't even looked at the Brewers when I posted it. I saw the Royals and immediately hit reply on gaf.

I agree completely with this list, Braves @ #4, previous week @ #20. What a jump!

And Toronto just got the Royals on a bad week. Next time it will be "Lights out Tonto, I mean Toronto."

eznark

Banned
I agree completely with this list, Braves @ #4, previous week @ #20. What a jump!

And Toronto just got the Royals on a bad week. Next time it will be "Lights out Tonto, I mean Toronto."

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Astros and Tigers neck and neck seems completely plausible.

verbum

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Astros and Tigers neck and neck seems completely plausible.

What the hell is a WAR win? The Angels have 8 "WAR' wins and 6 real wins on that list. So they actually won two games they lost on the scoreboard?

eznark

Banned
What the hell is a WAR win? The Angels have 8 "WAR' wins and 6 real wins on that list. So they actually won two games they lost on the scoreboard?

Just their method of pythag. Which seems to focus very heavily on starter ERA and UZR (lol) which is why it's a cluster-fuck of nonsense.

verbum

Just their method of pythag. Which seems to focus very heavily on starter ERA and UZR (lol) which is why it's a cluster-fuck of nonsense.

SI hasn't been relevant for at least 10 years. I actually prefer the NYT Sports, at least you get decent writing.

verbum

Say what you will about the website and FOB bits, but their feature writing is excellent as ever.

Yea, I did enjoy some articles in the magazine the last time I was at the dentist. I wonder how long they can keep the print edition going.

Talon

Yea, I did enjoy some articles in the magazine the last time I was at the dentist. I wonder how long they can keep the print edition going.
The old guard of magazines are actually doing better than you'd think. A lot of them, such as Runner's World, have turned back to churning out more long feature pieces, and they've solidified a niche for themselves.

It also helps that all these organizations got a lot leaner.

verbum

The old guard of magazines are actually doing better than you'd think. A lot of them, such as Runner's World, have turned back to churning out more long feature pieces, and they've solidified a niche for themselves.

It also helps that all these organizations got a lot leaner.

And I imagine all those waiting rooms will never put out Ipads or Kindles. Cheaper to just put out the dentist's old Money, Yachting, and Field and Stream magazines. My sister said she was waiting in a general surgery practice waiting room and someone else found a Playboy on the end table.

Talon

And I imagine all those waiting rooms will never put out Ipads or Kindles. Cheaper to just put out the dentist's old Money, Yachting, and Field and Stream magazines. My sister said she was waiting in a general surgery practice waiting room and someone else found a Playboy on the end table.
Hey, Playboy actually spends coin on good feature stories.

It's a running joke, but it's true.

Reading Raney's column is so heartbreaking and depressing. Reading the SI Power Rankings is like escaping it with hard drugs.

I love WAR wins! The Royals are 8-8, tied with the Tigers! And the White Sox. Also, Jupiter is the capitol of France. Cock-a-doodle-doo!

eznark

Banned
Reading Raney's column is so heartbreaking and depressing. Reading the SI Power Rankings is like escaping it with hard drugs.

I remember the Yost years. Those were dark fucking times. I wonder just how good that 08 team would have been with even a marginally functioning human being replacing the clearly mentally retarded Yost.

I remember the Yost years. Those were dark fucking times. I wonder just how good that 08 team would have been with even a marginally functioning human being replacing the clearly mentally retarded Yost.

I bet he would've had Jeter bunting all weekend if he was managing the Yankees.

For us, Jose Canseco as skipper would be an upgrade. It'd probably sell some tickets, too.

eznark

Banned
I'm 100% convinced that having no manager would be better than Yost, Roenicke, Bochy, Mattingly, and just about everyone else.

The Mets have placed Jason Bay on the 15-Day DL with a nondisplaced fracture of a rib on the left side and recalled infielder Zach Lutz.

Last night, Terry Collins told reporters tonight that Bay injured his ribs during the second game of the team’s doubleheader against the Giants while diving for a ball in the fourth inning.

Collins said last night X-Rays were negative, though Bay underwent an MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan this morning which revealed the injury.
*sigh* and he was starting to hit too...

Binx

David O'Brien ‏ @ajcbraves
#Braves recalled Cory Gearrin from Triple-A Gwinnett to take roster spot of Jurrjens, who was optioned after Monday night game

Looks like Gearrin has been stellar in Gwinnett.

verbum

I love that the "most home runs by a 40-year-old Brave" list goes like this:

Hank Aaron, 20
Babe Ruth, 6
Warren Spahn, 4
Chipper Jones, 2

Nice company there, Chipper. Today is Chipper Jones's 40th birthday.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Chieng-Ming Wang apologized today for an extramarital affair he was having.

The strongest argument against the superior NL is now the fact that pitchers who injure themselves running bases end up having affairs while on rehab. He would have never injured himself, he'd still be pitching for the Yankees and he wouldn't have hurt his family and friends by being a cheater either.

Mike Pelfrey felt some tightness on his elbow.
Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN
Mike Pelfrey MRI. Right elbow swelling. Will miss next start. Headed to DL. Robert Carson en route.

Well now Rubin just twitted this out. Pelfrey is getting a second opinion and said his elbow actually feels good.
Adam Rubin ‏ @AdamRubinESPN

He's not convinced there's ligament damage

Ryan Howard is going to resume baseball activities starting next week they hope. I was actually happy for him to get extra time off, but with as finished as Thome is they need him back as quickly as possible.

6:00 pm: According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Pelfrey has a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, and the team is preparing to lose Pelfrey to season ending elbow surgery.

According to SNY’s Matt Dunn, Pelfrey will be seeking a second opinion on his elbow, although he isn’t overly concerned considering he felt good after throwing a long-toss session after his outing on Saturday.

Pelfrey said he felt a “grabbing” in the first pitch of every inning during his outing on Saturday, but then it would subside until the next inning.

“I felt good the other day,” Pelfrey said, according Dunn. “I would throw one pitch and it would go away. The ball came out good. Everything felt good. There was just a little bit of tightness, which I thought was a little bit of tendinitis.”
... for cripes' sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom