• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rando14

I wish I could fast forward to 2015. The M's future is starting to look a bit brighter. Kyle Seager is awesome. Michael Saunders is finally putting it together. Montero has been decent enough for being a rookie. Ackley hasn't even started hitting yet.

Hultzen has been downright dominate in AA. Same with Walker. Paxton needs to throw strikes but hasn't been terrible.

The M's AA affiliate has 7 players going to the AA All-star game.

Nick Franklin is destroying AA now and I'm surprised they haven't moved him and Hultzen to AAA.

Hopefully Zunino signs and pans out quickly ... I think he will. Jason Varitek when he was younger seems like a very good comp for him.

Now if only I could jettison Blake Beaven and Hector Noesi somewhere ...

I am really looking forward to seeing Hultzen and Walker, they seem like they'll do really well. And yes, Noesi needs to at least be kicked out of the starting rotation.

I'll gladly call the phillies garbage.

Thats fine, I can see when a Braves fan would be pissed at the Phillies since they have won the division 5 straight times and the Phillies B team swept the Braves in Atlanta and ended their season last year. I just wonder if 2 years ago you were calling the Phillies garbage when they were like 10 games out? Phil are going to get Doc and Howard back and they are going to win the NL East again.

verbum

If I counted this right, Kerry Wood got his 200th strikeout facing his 607th batter.

Strasburg is sitting at 186 K after 596 batters faced. So, the best he can do is finish as 2nd fastest.

The player he can unseat is Hideo Nomo, who got his 200th while facing his 638th batter. So, look for Strasburg to get his 14th K before he faces 42 batters. It’ll be a tight one. After that with room to spare is Doc Gooden. Stras will finish with 3rd fastest, with a decent chance at 2nd fastest.

That’s for starting pitchers. Among relief pitchers, ahead of Kerry Wood for fastest to 200K are Saito, KRod, and Percival.

From 5/27/12 at http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/fastest_to_200_strikeouts_can_strasburg_become_2/

Further down in the thread:

Ok, looking at current relievers. Kimbrel is going to be close to 480 batters faced, which will shatter the 590ish of KRod and Saito.

Kenley Jansen is at 173 in 421, which means we should look for him to also be under 500.

We sure are in a new era of pitching, when the rate of striking out batters at the top end is going to fall so fast. These relievers are getting Ks at 20% faster than the fastest ones before them.
from 6/3/2012-
Update: Kimbrel [Braves] just notched K #200 on batter faced number 474.
and
Kimbrel’s stuff makes Strasburg look like Jamie Moyer. His slider is straight up disgusting. I don’t know how anyone hits that.

cashman

Banned
Thats fine, I can see when a Braves fan would be pissed at the Phillies since they have won the division 5 straight times and the Phillies B team swept the Braves in Atlanta and ended their season last year. I just wonder if 2 years ago you were calling the Phillies garbage when they were like 10 games out? Phil are going to get Doc and Howard back and they are going to win the NL East again.

With Howard back in, the Phillies will get all those rbi's they were missing out on!

Talon

B Team? Everyone played in that series.

Doesn't make it any less embarrassing, although I'm still pissy about that series in St. Louis the month prior.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
talent on the field will never stop me from calling that franchise garbage.

Talon

They definitely pulled guys during the last game at least.
Howard and Polanco were the only ones pulled, and that was in extra innings. Howard was after getting plunked, if I recall.

Also, you don't get to use the B team argument when Cole Hamels fucking pitched in relief.

RBH

Jason Bay scratched from lineup due to flu-like symptoms. and it starts!

bay2jpg-f86b9d408031d86e_large.jpg

Keith was gonna say sumthing mean about Zimmerman's throwing motion but said he wont because it might get tweeted lol
The way Dickey's balls have been moving so far has been magical.

I'll also agree the Phillies blow ass.

So wait, you're telling me Halladay, Utley, and Howard are going to somehow get MLB's worst bullpen to stop giving up tons of runs at the end of the game?

By the way, when the Phillies win 14 in a row, call me.

I'll also agree the Phillies blow ass.

So wait, you're telling me Halladay, Utley, and Howard are going to somehow get MLB's worst bullpen to stop giving up tons of runs at the end of the game?

By the way, when the Phillies win 14 in a row, call me.

I dont think their bullpen is close to being the worst, plus if they start scoring more when Utley and Howard come back, and giving up less when Doc replaces Blanton or Kendric, then yes that will help them win more games.

Prade

So for the month of June, Ike Davis is hitting .095 lol. Since .200 is called the Mendoza line, from here on out the .100 mark should be called the Davis line.

Meier

Regarding K's out of TBF discussed above: Jansen is up to 181 K's out of 442 batters. Only 8 out of his last 21.. dude is slackin! ;)

Link

The Autumn Wind
So for the month of June, Ike Davis is hitting .095 lol. Since .200 is called the Mendoza line, from here on out the .100 mark should be called the Davis line.
Davis needs to be sent down when Bay is activated. He's painful to watch at this point.

... Utley and Howard may not be back until August. Or at all.

Where did you hear that?
Utley will be back before Howard. I heard Utley was supposed to start rehab games shortly.

Both guys are already playing in extended spring training games. Utley has actually swung the bat well so far and Manuel has said that he looks great swinging the bat. It is possible that if he comes back first he will play 1st until Howard comes back since Galvis has played such good defense. I think Utley will be back by the start of July and Howard not to far after, but obviously a lot can still change.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Replacing one hole with another. The Met way!
Not like they have a choice with Bay once he's healthy. There's no roadblocks to sending Ike down. Plus as much as we rail on Bay, he's never been as bad as Ike is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom