• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

jbug617

Banned
Rosenthal had a good article about what the Red Sox are doing. Sox have been mentioned a lot since World Series ended.

He says Sox like Beltran but probably not going to happen.
Ruiz is more realistic than McCann
Tim Hudson is realistic and the Sox can trade some pitchers this offseason due to good contracts (Lackey, Peavy, Dempster)
He says don't expect them to sign big name relievers. They are looking to buy low like they did with Koji.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...n-carlos-ruiz-free-agency-trade-rumors-110913

Zep

Banned
I don't think Ive ever seen RBH so....upset. Its almost like he wants to become a phillies fan now or something.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Oh great, Mauer's moving to 1B full time for 2014.

Whatever shit bird Met hit that foul off his mask, I hate you forever.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Good for Mauer.

It's so bizarre to see Twins fans turn on the guy when hes still as good as he's ever been. Not his fault the rest of the team is trash.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Good for Mauer.

It's so bizarre to see Twins fans turn on the guy when hes still as good as he's ever been. Not his fault the rest of the team is trash.
As someone who's spent plenty of time around Twins fans, I can tell you most of them are fucking idiots. Mauer is the only reason to watch the team today.

Enron

Banned

Nope. The county's taxpayers will be footing some of it.

Cobb County taxpayers are all basically tea-party levels when it comes to taxes, and they won't like it, but this will really boost the southern end of the county. The area where the stadium is going really could use some help. The lower end of cobb parkway (closer to buckhead/vinings) is pretty well off with a lot of nice shopping and premium eats, while the upper end towards windy hill/southern marietta area is kind of run-down and not quite as nice. The stadium will be a huge win and a major revenue generator for the county.

Hah.

https://twitter.com/FakeFP/status/399931037246963712/photo/1

BYzXKNICQAAmWFr.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
Rosenthal had a good article about what the Red Sox are doing. Sox have been mentioned a lot since World Series ended.

He says Sox like Beltran but probably not going to happen.
Ruiz is more realistic than McCann
Tim Hudson is realistic and the Sox can trade some pitchers this offseason due to good contracts (Lackey, Peavy, Dempster)
He says don't expect them to sign big name relievers. They are looking to buy low like they did with Koji.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...n-carlos-ruiz-free-agency-trade-rumors-110913

They can buy low on Joba. Also I want the Yanks to snag Ruiz on a 1 year deal.

Malvingt2

Statement from Mayor Kasim Reed on the Atlanta Braves

ATLANTA - The Atlanta Braves are one of the best baseball teams in America, and I wish them well. We have been working very hard with the Braves for a long time, and at the end of the day, there was simply no way the team was going to stay in downtown Atlanta without city taxpayers spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make that happen. It is my understanding that our neighbor, Cobb County, made a strong offer of $450M in public support to the Braves and we are simply unwilling to match that with taxpayer dollars. Given the needs facing our city and the impact of Turner Field stadium on surrounding neighborhoods, that was something I, and many others were unwilling to do. We have been planning for the possibility of this announcement and have already spoken to multiple organizations who are interested in redeveloping the entire Turner Field corridor. Over the next three years, we will be working with our prospective partners to bring residential and business development that is worthy of our city and strengthens our downtown. Those conversations will continue and I am excited about how we use the land that is now Turner Field, to be a tremendous asset for our residents, our city, and our region for years to come.

http://www.atlantaga.gov/index.aspx?page=672&recordid=2415

Enron

Banned
Statement from Mayor Kasim Reed on the Atlanta Braves

http://www.atlantaga.gov/index.aspx?page=672&recordid=2415

Buck and Kincaid on 680 the fan just fucking RIPPED the mayor a new asshole over that press release.

Kasim Reed crying about how it would cost TAXPAYERS MONEY after he just gave away a boatload of taxpayer money on the Falcons deal, hahaha.

He's counting his lucky stars the braves waited until after the week he was reelected to announce this, wow.

Malvingt2

Kevin McAlpin‏@KevinMcAlpin
MLB statement on #Braves: “Major League Baseball fully supports their decision to move to a new ballpark in Atlanta for the 2017 season”

RBH

I feel as if this makes perfect sense. Traffic at 285/75 does suck already, but have you ever tried getting to a Braves game from the suburbs?

Hundreds of times from Marietta since I've lived here.

It's just as bad.
I don't agree. There's a bit of a bottleneck when you approach the two exits that take you to Turner Field, but other than that, I've never had much of an issue honestly taking 75-S to Turner Field.

There's no public transit to the stadium except for shuttles and the parking situation sucks ballsack.
The public transit situation in Cobb County is even worse. I've been dying to get Marta to expand to Cobb for years and years now, and if this stadium is the avenue through which that happens, then I'll be the happiest person around. But as things stand now, the Braves are taking a step backwards in regards to public transit by moving from Fulton to Cobb (and that's saying something considering how dire the current public transit situation is in downtown).

Also, Turner Field was built for the Olympics, not the Braves, and was paid for mainly by Olympic Committees, NBC, and corporate sponsors and was given to the city of Atlanta after the games. So it really doesn't feel like a waste of money on the part of the city or the franchise.
As long as there's no public money involved.

Putting the stadium here makes it easier for the majority of the braves fans to get to the game and park. It'll just make it hell for those of us on cobb parkway for other reasons.
I'll agree with that.

Zep

Banned
Not so much the seating capacity, just the overall look. Its extremely conservative and downright boring to look at. Almost like they were going for the look of older parks...only its missing the charm.

edit: that second render looks a lot better.

3N16MA

Banned
Not so much the seating capacity, just the overall look. Its extremely conservative and downright boring to look at. Almost like they were going for the look of older parks...only its missing the charm.

edit: that second render looks a lot better.

I like what they're going for and actually prefer the Fremont design but I believe the San Jose design is newer.

Malvingt2

Although specific financial details were not revealed, the Braves said they are "putting a significant financial investment" into the construction of the stadium, which will cost approximately $672 million and include somewhere in the neighborhood of 41,000 seats.

Cobb County will also be investing in the cost of the stadium and its surroundings, as well as proposed transportation enhancements. Details of the public funding have not been released.

When Schuerholz and Mike Plant, the Braves' executive vice president of business options, met with Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed on Friday, they informed him of the plans to move from Turner Field when the 20-year lease expires at the end of the 2016 season.

The decision to move to the northwest suburbs will end the club's long-standing residency in downtown Atlanta. The Braves played at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium from 1966-96, and moved across the street when Olympic Stadium was transformed into Turner Field at the start of the 1997 season.

"Safe to say, [Reed] was disappointed," Plant said. "He's a pro-business guy. He understands business. I told him very clearly [that] we're not moving into another city or another state. We're still going to be an active participant with the city with our Braves Foundation grants. We're not leaving Atlanta. We're just moving [14] miles up the road."

Plant has been meeting with city officials since 2005 in an attempt to gain the funds and assistance necessary to upgrade the stadium and, more important, address the transportation issues -- namely parking and traffic -- that made it difficult for fans to attend games at Turner Field.

The Braves evaluated ways to make improvements at Turner Field and surround it with the numerous entertainment options that will be available around the new stadium year-round, but those improvements would not have addressed the transportation issues. Fans who have used MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) trains have either had to walk approximately three-quarters of a mile from the nearest stop or exit at Five Points and take a one-mile shuttle ride.

Heavy traffic in downtown Atlanta has also deterred some fans. According to Plant, Turner Field is about 5,000 parking spots short of the optimal figure when filled to capacity.

"The access issues around Turner Field are very difficult," Derek Schiller, the Braves' executive vice president of sales and marketing, said. "It's the No. 1 issue cited by our fans as to why they either don't come to games or come to as many games. It's difficult to get here and very difficult to get out of here. The parking situation is cumbersome and challenging."

The move should not affect the club's desire to remain an affordable entertainment option for families.

"We know this new site will provide our fans with a far more pleasant experience of accessing our ballpark, leaving the ballpark and coming early," Schuerholz said. "What is unique about this project is [that] coming out of the ground at the same time as the stadium is the first phase of our mixed-use development, this great destination where people will be able to mitigate the traffic problems by going someplace early, where they can have a nice meal, shop or hang out with friends and family, and then stay there afterward if they like. That helps a lot of the traffic issues."

The new stadium, which is expected to have a corporate naming sponsor, will have approximately 10,000 fewer seats than Turner Field and upwards of 30,000 parking spots that will be owned and operated by the Braves.

But some transportation issues will need to be addressed, as MARTA trains do not run to Cobb County.

Per Plant, plans are in place to address roadway access to the new ballpark and to provide shuttle systems that will transport fans from as far away as downtown Atlanta, though specific details will be provided at a later time.

The Braves are confident that these transportation issues will not prove to be as significant as those for Turner Field.

more here; http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/atl...md=20131111&content_id=63830416&vkey=news_atl

It seem The Braves have a plan for the transportation to the area.

Enron

Banned
Man that new Braves Park screams disaster from what I've been reading

Not at all. It's way better than the current location.

People whining about how bad the traffic already is there. LIke its NOT bad on the connector downtown where the Ted sits, lol.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I don't have an opinion because I don't live there.

I do however have an opinion on Rob Neyer, and it is that he can go on a long vacation and never come back.

Malo

Banned
Hey our bet was only for a month after the end of the regular season, so it was up about a week ago.
I thought it was for the entire off-season. Thanks for the heads up. Now to find a new avatar.

He likes it.
If the Yankees give Cano more than $200 million? Sure.

Dominican Winter League brahs! Profar and Gregory Polanco have been studs so far in the season.
I almost forgot. Let's go escogido!

Top Bottom