• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

thefro

I wonder which of their 4 3B prospects the Cubs are most willing to part with. I wouldn't mind Olt or Villanueva.

Villanueva for sure they'd be willing to trade. Olt I think will get the chance to start at 3B and sink/swim for the Cubs this year. I don't think they'd be opposed to moving him but his value is low now coming off his vision issues he's been having.

Bryant isn't going anywhere (he'll move to RF if Olt is locked in at 3B) and neither is Baez, who probably will play 2B/SS depending on what they end up doing with Castro.

They've given up on Vitters at 3B completely since he can't cut it there defensively.

I hope a team doesn't overrate Choo enough to give him all that money. There's no way I see him getting on base at .400% clip ever again in his career. It's like when Ellsbury was hitting over 30+ HRs that one year.

cashman

Banned
Mike Olt is two days younger than Elvis Andrus and he didn't have a great year last year. It's either do or die for him at this point.

Edwardo

If we dont get Ellsbury back, I can see us signing Beltran. Move Victorino to center. Then have Gomes in left, Beltran in right, and Nava switching with both of them for days off.

aFIGurANT

If Beltran is spelled properly, three years seems pretty safe. A switch hitter with his discipline will make pitchers make mistakes and he has shown he still has gap power and honestly watching STL this year he looks nearly as good as ever on the bases. No longer a major threat to steal Carlos can still leg out doubles no problem and as long as he is babied a bit I don't think that it's a bad sign for an AL team at all.

I wonder if the Dodgers are going to try to trade Ethier, Kemp, or Crawford. I'd rather just keep them all for pinch-hitting situations when they aren't playing.

Zep

Banned
I wonder if the Dodgers are going to try to trade Ethier, Kemp, or Crawford. I'd rather just keep them all for pinch-hitting situations when they aren't playing.

Pretty sure they would love to trade either Crawford or Ethier. All things considered, Ethier would be the odd man out. Thing is nobody wants those contracts.

Pretty sure they would love to trade either Crawford or Ethier. All things considered, Ethier would be the odd man out. Thing is nobody wants those contracts.

The advantages the dodgers have is they can print money and this is a weak FA class. Even though he's coming off a terrible season, I wonder if they could move Ethier to, say, Texas if they agree to pay $3-4 million per year of his remaining contract?

Zep

Banned
The advantages the dodgers have is they can print money and this is a weak FA class. Even though he's coming off a terrible season, I wonder if they could move Ethier to, say, Texas if they agree to pay $3-4 million per year of his remaining contract?

Lets say that deal's on the table. After the dodgers pay them 12-16 mill for the remainder of the contract, the Rangers are paying roughly 55-60 million over 4 years. On the FA market right now, they have a former player in Nelson Cruz who is pretty much the same as Ethier offensively, and they're both negatives in the OF. I'm thinking Cruz can be had on a 3yr deal worth 36 mil or so, with a small vesting option thrown in there. Now I could be totally wrong on that and some idiot like Amaro could swoop in and offer 4-5 years but I don't see his stock being so high right now, coming off the suspension.

The way I see it, the Rangers would probably have LA eat a little more than 3-4 mil a year to make that work. Because like you said, Texas knows the Dodgers don't give a shit about the money right now, so why only let them eat 3-4.

Lets say that deal's on the table. After the dodgers pay them 12-16 mill for the remainder of the contract, the Rangers are paying roughly 55-60 million over 4 years. On the FA market right now, they have a former player in Nelson Cruz who is pretty much the same as Ethier offensively, and they're both negatives in the OF. I'm thinking Cruz can be had on a 3yr deal worth 48 mil or so, with a small vesting option thrown in there. Now I could be totally wrong on that and some idiot like Amaro could swoop in and offer 4-5 years but I don't see his stock being so high right now, coming off the suspension.

The way I see it, the Rangers would probably have LA eat a little more than 3-4 mil a year to make that work. Because like you said, Texas knows the Dodgers don't give a shit about the money right now, so why only let them eat 3-4.

Fair or not, Cruz and his agent will probably be looking at the Pence deal as bar which is nearly double what you are suggesting. Guys ALWAYS get overpaid.

Zep

Banned
Fair or not, Cruz and his agent will probably be looking at the Pence deal as bar which is nearly double what you are suggesting. Guys ALWAYS get overpaid.

Yea, forgot about Pence deal. Shit kinda throws everything said above out the window. Well, the good news for the Rangers is I doubt many teams will be knocking on LA's door asking for Ethier, so the Rangers if they were to do that deal would be able to let FA play out through the winter and go from there.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
read somewhere they are. accepting offers on all of them. Mets might be a match,

I know one of the Heymans or Gammons of the world said that the Dodgers were telling teams they were willing to listen on those three guys.

And it has to be said, if Vernon Wells can be traded twice, anything is possible.

I know one of the Heymans or Gammons of the world said that the Dodgers were telling teams they were willing to listen on those three guys.

And it has to be said, if Vernon Wells can be traded twice, anything is possible.

Vernon Wells is going to be paid $14.05 million by the Angels next year. The fact they picked up his entire contract from the Blue Jays AND traded Mike Napoli in the same deal is still hilarious to me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jose Offerman has disappeared amid attack lawsuit:

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Six years after attacking two opposing players with a bat during a minor league baseball game in Connecticut, ex-major leaguer Jose Offerman is nowhere to be found.

As a federal lawsuit over the attack heads to trial, the attorney for the journeyman catcher whose career was ended with a swing of Offerman's bat doesn't know where the two-time All-Star is — and doesn't expect him to show up for court.

J. Craig Smith, the attorney for former Bridgeport Bluefins catcher John Nathans, tried to serve Offerman with discovery documents in recent months, with no success.

"It's been so difficult for me to track him down," Smith said. "I certainly don't expect Offerman to show up at court."

Offerman, 45, an All-Star infielder with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1995 and the Boston Red Sox in 1999, was playing for the minor league Long Island Ducks in August 2007 in a major league comeback bid when he was hit by a pitch and charged the pitcher's mound during a game against the Bluefish in Bridgeport.

He hit two Bluefish players, Nathans and pitcher Matt Beech, with the bat. Nathans suffered a head injury that ended his career, and Beech broke the middle finger on his non-throwing hand.

Nathans filed a $4.8 million lawsuit in 2009 against Offerman and the Ducks, a case that remains pending in federal court in Bridgeport. Jury selection and the trial were supposed to begin next week, but a judge delayed them to January and ordered the parties to attend a settlement conference on Dec. 5.

Lawyers in the case said they do not expect to reach a settlement before jury selection is scheduled to begin Jan. 7.

Smith said Offerman hasn't appeared at any of the court proceedings. Offerman is a citizen of the Dominican Republic who has lived in the New York City area, including Queens.

A phone listing for Offerman could not be found. His lawyer in the lawsuit, Frank Riccio, who died in March, withdrew from the case in 2010, saying in a court document that Offerman refused to discuss the case with him and hadn't paid him.

Riccio's son, Bridgeport attorney Frank Riccio II, said Offerman apparently has been out of the country for some time, and he has not talked with him recently. Riccio said if Offerman ever returns, he'd likely represent him.

Even if Offerman doesn't show up to defend himself, a trial will be held and he could be found liable for Nathans' injuries, Smith said.

Offerman was charged with felony assault after the attack, but was granted a probation program that resulted in the charges being dismissed. He was also ordered to get anger management treatment.

In 2010, Offerman was banned for life by the Dominican winter league for throwing a punch at an umpire during an argument while he was manager of the Licey Tigers. The suspension was revoked last year and Offerman is again part of the Licey coaching staff.

The Long Island Ducks deny any responsibility for Offerman's attack on Nathans and Beech. Their lawyer, Eileen Becker, declined to comment.

Nathans also declined to discuss the case. But Smith said he continues to cope with inner ear problems caused by the bat blow to his head, including nausea and dizziness. Despite those problems, Nathans was able to graduate from law school and is now an attorney in Portland, Maine.

"Some days are better than others, but it's not a problem that anyone else would want to have and it ended his baseball career," Smith said. "He's able to function, but that has a lot to do with his personal drive and ambition. He's not going to allow this to keep him from functioning on a high level in the real world."

This pic of Offerman was taken back in late September:

xtmhWS9.jpg

3N16MA

Banned

They can look all hey want, no one will give Cruz who is 2.5 years older and not as good as Pence that kind of deal. There is even some talk that he may accept the QO.

aFIGurANT

^^^

As great as Tulo would look in a STL cap, we're snake bit with guys approaching the "prime" of their careers; Mark Mulder is the first thing I think of although a FA signing is different than a trade (read: easier to swallow when disaster strikes).

^^^

As great as Tulo would look in a STL cap, we're snake bit with guys approaching the "prime" of their careers; Mark Mulder is the first thing I think of although a FA signing is different than a trade (read: easier to swallow when disaster strikes).

It also said Andrus and Profar.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I'd be really worried about taking on his contract with his injury history. I'm not sure how the Cards might be limited by it in the future, but in a vacuum I wouldn't advise it. But they're also smarter than me so.

Jon

Is this legit?

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_stor...-moving-to-Cobb-County?instance=breaking_news

The Atlanta Braves are expected to announce today the team plans to relocate to Cobb County with a new stadium being ready for the 2017 season. They will be leaving Turner Field after their 20 year agreement expires at the end of the 2016 season..

The new stadium will be built near the intersection of I-75 and 285. The current site is under contract and set to close in early 2014.

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Atlanta Braves moving to Cobb County

What say you, Braves-Age? Ready to ditch Turner Field?

Enron

Banned
Yep, it's legit. It's breaking all over Atlanta media this morning.

The new proposed stadium will be going in literally RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO MY OFFICE.

I-75/I-285 intersection is just BARELY in Cobb County. It's minutes north of Buckhead and only about 10 minutes from Midtown.

I am not a fan of this. It will be a freaking MADHOUSE trying to get out of work now on the days i do go to the office.

FUCK.

This move makes sense though. Turner is in a fucking SHITTY area and the stadium's presence has failed to upgrade the surrounding neighborhood. The area across the interstate from the stadium is fucking Murder Central, and the immediate area next to the stadium is an odd mix of super sketchiness and gentrification - not a good mix of it, either. Also, 90% of the fans going to Braves games are from north fulton and the rest of the burbs.

Miller, Adams, plus some other shit for Profar.

Believe.

Also, I am excited to see renderings and what not for the new Braves stadium. I enjoy seeing the progress of a stadium coming together. I hope it has something that trumps the goofy-but-awesome-shit in the Miami Marlin's stadium.

Miller, Adams, plus some other shit for Profar.

Believe.

Also, I am excited to see renderings and what not for the new Braves stadium. I enjoy seeing the progress of a stadium coming together. I hope it has something that trumps the goofy-but-awesome-shit in the Miami Marlin's stadium.
A big ass Tomahawk in CF that moves every second.

Opiate

I honestly don't know how the Cardinals will keep even a reasonably similar payroll going in to next year. They've shed 40M+ of almost entirely deadweight payroll, but there just isn't anything to spend money on in positions the Cardinals actually have needs. They need a shortstop and a third baseman above everything else, with the potential for an outfielder depending on how things shake out (crowded now, but if Beltran signs elsewhere and Oscar Taveras does not materialize, etc.)

Given this situation, I'd much rather they have a lower payroll than buy a free agent they don't precisely need simply because they can. Save the money for later investments if it comes to that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the area around turner sucks so I am for a move. Not familiar with the new area though. Weird that a team is moving to a new stadium after only 20 years, but turner was free to the braves so I guess it makes sense.

I assume there is no marta access to the new area. One decent thing about Turner was you could get a hotel near the airport and take a shuttle to the airport then go to marta then to the game.

Enron

Banned
the area around turner sucks so I am for a move. Not familiar with the new area though. Weird that a team is moving to a new stadium after only 20 years, but turner was free to the braves so I guess it makes sense.

I assume there is no marta access to the new area. One decent thing about Turner was you could get a hotel near the airport and take a shuttle to the airport then go to marta then to the game.

Don't worry. The new area has SHITLOADS of hotels. It's all hotels and office parks. Its the same area that the Cobb Galleria convention center is at. Tons of hotels, tons of shuttles to the airport.

Plus its just a skip down 285 from the Ashford/Dunwoody 400 corridor, which is even more hotels and office parks.

RGVNOE

I honestly don't know how the Cardinals will keep even a reasonably similar payroll going in to next year. They've shed 40M+ of almost entirely deadweight payroll, but there just isn't anything to spend money on in positions the Cardinals actually have needs. They need a shortstop and a third baseman above everything else, with the potential for an outfielder depending on how things shake out (crowded now, but if Beltran signs elsewhere and Oscar Taveras does not materialize, etc.)

Given this situation, I'd much rather they have a lower payroll than buy a free agent they don't precisely need simply because they can. Save the money for later investments if it comes to that.

I think that Marp is their plan for 3rd base with Wong taking over at 2nd, hopefully it works out. SS is definitely a need, and CF too Jay is good fielding, but seems to be average or below at everything else. I hope Taveras takes over and can live up to the hype.

RBH

Is this legit?

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_stor...-moving-to-Cobb-County?instance=breaking_news

What say you, Braves-Age? Ready to ditch Turner Field?

My family lives literally 5-10 minutes away from this new stadium site.

Honestly, I feel this makes zero sense. Cobb County is definitely a much nicer surrounding area and will provide more of an actual game day experience outside the stadium, but the traffic there at 75/285 is already fucking horrific, and the lack of MARTA or any real public transit makes this an even worse situation as far as public transit goes.

Not to mention, Turner Field is not even fucking 20 years old.

Absolutely baffled right now.

Enron

Banned
My family lives literally 5-10 minutes away from this new stadium site.

Honestly, I feel this makes zero sense. Cobb County is definitely a much nicer surrounding area and will provide more of an actual game day experience outside the stadium, but the traffic there at 75/285 is already fucking horrific, and the lack of MARTA or any real public transit makes this an even worse situation as far as public transit goes.

Not to mention, Turner Field is not even fucking 20 years old.

Absolutely baffled right now.

I feel as if this makes perfect sense. Traffic at 285/75 does suck already, but have you ever tried getting to a Braves game from the suburbs? It's just as bad. There's no public transit to the stadium except for shuttles and the parking situation sucks ballsack.

Also, Turner Field was built for the Olympics, not the Braves, and was paid for mainly by Olympic Committees, NBC, and corporate sponsors and was given to the city of Atlanta after the games. So it really doesn't feel like a waste of money on the part of the city or the franchise.

Putting the stadium here makes it easier for the majority of the braves fans to get to the game and park. It'll just make it hell for those of us on cobb parkway for other reasons.

Top Bottom