• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

verbum

Not at all. It's way better than the current location.

People whining about how bad the traffic already is there. LIke its NOT bad on the connector downtown where the Ted sits, lol.

Head into town on the connector on a Saturday afternoon and run into a traffic jam due to a wreck. Sit for 2 hours because you are in the center lane. Get to the game in the 6-7th inning. Happened to me.
At least you could go around on 285 to Cobb County and get there in the 2nd inning.

I imagine that downtown real estate will be pretty valuable once they take down the stadium. I'll bet some commissioners, state reps, etc are making some money off this.
And it will help the folks in Smyrna with some decent jobs.
I wonder if they will use union labor in Cobb Co? : )

No on Tulo. Just too many injury risks.
Adams/Miller/Maness would be tempting. As would Adams/Rosenthal/Lynn.

No way I'd give up two of Miller/Rosenthal/Martinez and Adams on top of that.

The talk of him being the best SS in baseball in this prompted me to look up Hanley's stats from last year and he put up 5 WAR in basically half a season. Jesus.
A 191 wRC+ from the SS position will do that. What happened to HamRam in 2010-2012?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 17m
Sources: #Phillies finalizing two-year agreement with Marlon Byrd. First reported by WIP in Philly.

BWHAHAHAHA

That is so totally Ruben.

Zep

Banned
He just wants re-light that Raul Ibanez flame. You know, a player over 35, who will have a great half to a season and then not do shit for the remaining contract.

Here is our RH outfield powerbat!

Oh joy.

I never realized how relatively old Byrd is. For some reason I never knew of him (or probably just forgot about him) until he came to the Cubs around 2010, so I always thought he was maybe 23 or 24 in 2010, putting him around 27-ish now.

36?

Depending on the price it might not be the worst deal ever, but I cannot imagine it's ever going to be a great deal.

Zep

Banned
.291, 24 HRs sounds damn good to me compared to what they had last year. Well done Ruben.

Anyone is a step up from JMJ but we gotta see the money on this deal. In my head 2yrs/7-8mil would be fine. But with it being so early(and having a history of doing so) he probably overpaid.

Anyone is a step up from JMJ but we gotta see the money on this deal. In my head 2yrs/7-8mil would be fine. But with it being so early(and having a history of doing so) he probably overpaid.

Why does the money matter? The Phils have that new TV money coming soon. There only hope is to spend them selves out of this mess, so go nuts.

Zep

Banned
Well there's a silver lining here. Supposedly this was the backup plan to Cruz asking for 5/75 (LOL). At least he said no to that!

Still way too early for a deal like this. I understand the TV deal is incoming but you can't teach stupid. Ruben, is stupid.

I thought it would be more then that. Surprised he signed so quickly.

Because his agent knew nobody would come close to that type of money. He made 700K last year...

3N16MA

Banned
I believe the Phillies wanted Ichiro last offseason and were willing to go 2 years. So the two years to Byrd seems like the same deal.

Zep

Banned
There has to be more behind this deal. Forget the money for a second...Byrd adds nothing to a 73 win team that's getting older every year. Ruben has something else up his sleeve.

Just watch and enjoy the show.

There has to be more behind this deal. Forget the money for a second...Byrd adds nothing to a 73 win team that's getting older every year. Ruben has something else up his sleeve.

Just watch and enjoy the show.

How does he add nothing when they desperately need power and he gives them more of that then they were getting?

Zep

Banned
How does he add nothing when they desperately need power and he gives them more of that then they were getting?

With this deal by itself, how many wins does Marlon Byrd add to an already aging roster. Playoffs being the goal, I hate the deal as it stands today. I'm intrigued (and somewhat scared) by what other ideas Ruben might have up his sleeve though.

Malo

Banned
I waned him when the Yanks passed on him. Bernie was coming to the end of his career and Beltran offered a discount. Made sense for the Yanks to sign him.
That was a terrible a decision not to sign him. And then they signed Damon the next year, who was a good player for us, but he's no Beltran.

3N16MA

Banned
That was a terrible a decision not to sign him. And then they signed Damon the next year, who was a good player for us, but he's no Beltran.

He has always wanted to play for the Yankees and they keep on turning him down. Rare to see a guy offer a discount to play somewhere more than once and get turned down both times.

Now the Yanks want him when he will be 37 at the start of next season. He can still hit but his diminishing defense is a bit of a worry.

Malo

Banned
He has always wanted to play for the Yankees and they keep on turning him down. Rare to see a guy offer a discount to play somewhere more than once and get turned down both times.

Now the Yanks want him when he will be 37 at the start of next season. He can still hit but his diminishing defense is a bit of a worry.
It's the Yankees way to sign old players with diminishing skills. He would have to split time at dh and rf. If we're going to give up our draft pick I rather sign Choo.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
If the Braves were to trade for an ace, I'm starting to think Scherzer might make the most sense.

aFIGurANT

Well if he's still a shadow of his former self then you'd have to assume Hart would welcome a one-year deal for a solid offensive team. He's still pretty young? 32 in March, acorrding to bballref, actually...still some potential there.

Top Bottom