• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Going more in depth since I'm bored, here are players likely (or certain) to make the Cardinals roster, and who came up through Cardinals farm system:

Joe Kelly
Jaime Garcia
Adam Wainright
Shelby Miller
Michael Wacha
Kevin Seigrist
Jason Motte
Trevor Rosenthal
Carlos Martinez
Yadier Molina
Matt Adams
Matt Carpenter
Allen Craig
Kolten Wong
John Jay
Daniel Descalso

May make roster, depending on how things pan out, came up through Cardinals system:

Oscar Taveras
Shane Robinson
Tony Cruz
Sam Freeman
Pete Kozma
Keith Butler
Tyler Lyons

All of these came out of the Cardinals farm system, although a couple (notably Wainright) were drafted by other teams and traded to the Cardinals while still prospects.

they get a lot hate but this is why the Cards always stay competitive.

With about two weeks remaining until players begin reporting to spring training, these are top free agents that are still unsigned with MLB Trade Rumors projected contracts. A lot of them are pitchers that have been waiting for the Masahiro Tanaka hammer to fall and players with qualifying offers hanging over their head.

A.J. Burnett (10-11, 3.30 ERA, 4.0 fWAR). Age 37 season. Projected deal: 1 year, $12 million.

Stephen Drew (.253/.333/.443, 13 HR, 67 RBI, 3.4 fWAR). Age 31 season. Projected deal: 4 years, $48 million. Rejected qualifying offer from the Red Sox.

Ubaldo Jimenez (13-9, 3.30 ERA, 3.2 fWAR). Age 30 season. Projected deal: 3 years, $39 million. Rejected qualifying offer from the Indians.

Ervin Santana (9-10, 3.24 ERA, 3.0 fWAR). Age 31 season. Projected deal: 5 years, $75 million. Rejected qualifying offer from the Royals.

Nelson Cruz (.266/.327/.506, 27 HR, 76 RBI, 1.5 fWAR). Age 34 season. Projected deal: 3 years, $39 million. Rejected qualifying offer from the Rangers.

Fernando Rodney (5-4, 37 SV, 3.38 ERA, 1.3 fWAR). Age 37 season. Projected deal: 2 years, $18 million.

Kendrys Morales (.277/.336/.449, 23 HR, 80 RBI, 1.2 fWAR). Age 31 season. Projected deal: 2 years, $28 million. Rejected qualifying offer from the Mariners.

Bronson Arroyo (14-12, 3.79 ERA, 0.8 fWAR). Age 37 season. Projected deal: 2 years, $24 million.

Paul Maholm (10-11, 4.41 ERA, 0.7 fWAR). Age 32 season. Projected deal: 1 year, $7 million.

Jason Hammel (7-8, 4.97 ERA, 0.7 fWAR). Age 32 season. Projected deal: 1 year, $5 million.

jakncoke

Banned
Im not sure why Burnett hasnt just said he's retiring, unless he hoping for a desperate team to shoot above his market value at the last moment? Or maybe he doesnt want to pitch a full season ? idk

The Brewers just announced that Ryan Braun is attending the "Brewers On Deck" fan convention tomorrow. It will be his first official fan interaction since the suspension.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Finished Ken Burns' Baseball last night. Overall it was a pretty great production, but I found it disappointing how much time they spent in the Extra Innings episodes talking about steroids and Barry Bonds being on steroids, rather than actual baseball events. I wasn't shocked that they focused on it, just disappointed.

Also, I would love to watch similar series about football or basketball if anyone has any recommendations.

Finished Ken Burns' Baseball last night. Overall it was a pretty great production, but I found it disappointing how much time they spent in the Extra Innings episodes talking about steroids and Barry Bonds being on steroids, rather than actual baseball events. I wasn't shocked that they focused on it, just disappointed.
As a European who's fallen in love with baseball but still doesn't understand it, I'll probably watch this. Thanks for the rec.

eznark

Banned
The Brewers just announced that Ryan Braun is attending the "Brewers On Deck" fan convention tomorrow. It will be his first official fan interaction since the suspension.

I think they announced that like two weeks ago. More interesting is that for the first time in a decade Weeks will not be there.

Also Braun has attended other stuff. Charity signings, charity golf and softball and some hospital stuff. I imagine this year will be his loudest cheers at On Deck.

jakncoke

Banned
143127752_I_Sense_Butthurt_75000244666_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Sanjuro

So the swerve here is basically because you're a Yankee fan, you have to continue acting like a generic asshole troll? Yeah, I don't think so.

Also, you are mad as fuck. Damn.

iGkwRBSxZxL1D.gif

wtf, we actually consort/fraternize with Red Sox fans?

Nothing wrong with talking baseball civilly with them...but fuck the Red Sox.

Always.

Forever.

What's so hard to understand about baseball? Soccer is a lot harder to get into.
Seriously?

There are a lot of subtle distinctions and rules (and unofficial rules/traditions/etiquette) that are hard to pick up just by watching the game. How would you know why some runs count and some don't based on whether an out on the play was forced or not if you didn't grow up playing the game? I had watched quite a few games before I twigged what "tagging up" meant, and I still didn't know that it wasn't a force out (even though it looks like one) until I carefully read the rules. How would you know that someone is allowed to overrun first base safely, but not any other, unless it was explained to you? How would you know that fouling after two strikes leaves the count unchanged, but that a bunt fouled off is a third strike? I never knew that there was an uncaught third strike rule until it happened in a game I was watching (and yet the pitcher is still credited with a strikeout!). A lot of the umpiring is still opaque to me. There are like a hundred different things to learn.

Outside the actual playing of the game, the finances, contracts, and salaries are byzantine compared to soccer. Soccer also has no draft system. And no European sport requires any kind of understanding of statistics to appreciate, so a basic baseball statline is a terrible thing to behold as a newcomer. Let alone advanced sabermetrics.

As sports go, I think American football is probably much more complicated for the players on the field (or people with a deep understanding of its tactics), but it's reasonably intuitive for a first-time viewer with a minimum of explanation. Baseball is really, really not.

Seriously?

There are a lot of subtle distinctions and rules (and unofficial rules/traditions/etiquette) that are hard to pick up just by watching the game. How would you know why some runs count and some don't based on whether an out on the play was forced or not if you didn't grow up playing the game? I had watched quite a few games before I twigged what "tagging up" meant, and I still didn't know that it wasn't a force out (even though it looks like one) until I carefully read the rules. How would you know that someone is allowed to overrun first base safely, but not any other, unless it was explained to you? How would you know that fouling after two strikes leaves the count unchanged, but that a bunt fouled off is a third strike? I never knew that there was an uncaught third strike rule until it happened in a game I was watching (and yet the pitcher is still credited with a strikeout!). A lot of the umpiring is still opaque to me. There are like a hundred different things to learn.

Outside the actual playing of the game, the finances, contracts, and salaries are byzantine compared to soccer. Soccer also has no draft system. And no European sport requires any kind of understanding of statistics to appreciate, so a basic baseball statline is a terrible thing to behold as a newcomer. Let alone advanced sabermetrics.

As sports go, I think American football is probably much more complicated for the players on the field (or people with a deep understanding of its tactics), but it's reasonably intuitive for a first-time viewer with a minimum of explanation. Baseball is really, really not.
At its core it's still a basic game. Everything you've mentioned you pick up through out the years. It's no different than the other sports, except for it having a large emphasis on statistics, but that's also the fun part of following baseball.

At its core it's still a basic game. Everything you've mentioned you pick up through out the years. It's no different than the other sports, except for it having a large emphasis on statistics, but that's also the fun part of following baseball.
Right, you pick it up throughout the years. So if you're 28 and spent 28 years as an American immersed in American culture, playing baseball in the back yard with your dad and on little league teams from the time you were knee-high, you easily and quickly internalize concepts in a way you don't when you move to America for the first time at 28 and have to learn everything any American watcher of baseball takes for granted and learned just by cultural osmosis.

Baseball has many more rules (and informal practices) than soccer does. I mean just compare the word count of the respective rulebooks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tennis is the only major sport around that's easier to pick up the rules on than soccer.

Even then Tennis has an odd as hell scoring system that takes awhile. Soccer might be the easiest game overall to get.

Baseball and Cricket have a ton of weird, weird ass rules. Don't get me started on Rugby and American Football.

Oxx

I learnt everything I know about the game of baseball by watching ESPN Sunday Night Baseball at 1am.

Thanks Joe Morgan.

thefro

Right, you pick it up throughout the years. So if you're 28 and spent 28 years as an American immersed in American culture, playing baseball in the back yard with your dad and on little league teams from the time you were knee-high, you easily and quickly internalize concepts in a way you don't when you move to America for the first time at 28 and have to learn everything any American watcher of baseball takes for granted and learned just by cultural osmosis.

Baseball has many more rules (and informal practices) than soccer does. I mean just compare the word count of the respective rulebooks.

That's not even getting into the fact that there's obscure ground rules unique to each ballpark.

Lose a ball in the ivy in Wrigley and it's two bases. Various things you can hit and the balls are in-play or a home run depending on where they land. Houston's got a hill in center field. All the parks are different-sizes.

aFIGurANT

That's not even getting into the fact that there's obscure ground rules unique to each ballpark.

Lose a ball in the ivy in Wrigley and it's two bases. Various things you can hit and the balls are in-play or a home run depending on where they land. Houston's got a hill in center field. All the parks are different-sizes.

I both hate and love the difference between parks in baseball. On the one hand it means there's a subtext to every cause because the effect may yield different outcomes (short porch for lefties in NY, short porch for everyone in CIN) but at the same time it's kind of a bitch when it isn't working in your team's favor.

St. Louis's new Busch plays like a pitcher's park to some degree and thus you have to hope for RISP miracles all season when no one on your team is cracking 20 HRs.... It's definitely an extra layer that most sports (read: almost all) don't have, which makes it unique but still it gets to me that some guys' stats don't shine because they're stuck in huge parks, etc.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tennis is the only major sport around that's easier to pick up the rules on than soccer.

Even then Tennis has an odd as hell scoring system that takes awhile. Soccer might be the easiest game overall to get.

Baseball and Cricket have a ton of weird, weird ass rules. Don't get me started on Rugby and American Football.

I have lived in Japan for over 10 years and still don't know what offsides is in soccer

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Not something that really makes getting into to baseball difficult if you know the core rules...

Top Bottom