• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

eznark

Banned
Considering he was supplying Red Sox with steroids for half a decade I'm surprised Selig hasn't pulled some strings to get a deal made with him.

Oh wait it's the Red Sox, no I'm not. Selig probably murdered that poor woman and pinned it on Remy to keep him quiet. Next phase is LaRussa getting arrested for yet another DUI and taking care of him in the shower.

Future caps pitchers might wear for extra protection approved. Wonder how many pitchers will actually use this this year.
In the nearly 17 months since then-Oakland Athletics pitcher Brandon McCarthy was struck in the head by a line drive and suffered life-threatening brain injuries, Major League Baseball says it has received and tested numerous prototypes from different vendors for padded caps to provide some head protection against high-speed shots off the bat.

The newly approved caps, manufactured by 4Licensing Corporation subsidiary isoBlox, will be made available to pitchers for spring training next month. Their use is optional.

The company says the caps are a little more than a half-inch thicker in the front and an inch thicker on the sides -- near the temples -- than standard caps, and afford protection for frontal impact locations against line drives of up to 90 mph and for side impact locations at up to 85 mph. The soft padding, isoBlox says, is made of "plastic injection molded polymers combined with a foam substrate" and is designed to diffuse energy upon impact through a combination of dispersion and absorption techniques.

"What we've given [pitchers] is a product with protection they've never had before," said 4Licensing chief executive officer Bruce Foster. "It changes the game for them."

A protective cap for pitchers received approval Tuesday to be worn in major league games. The skull cap for youth is at center, caps on the right and left.
On Tuesday morning, MLB informed its 30 teams that it has approved such a product for the first time, after consultation with the players' association, according to Dan Halem, MLB executive vice president for labor relations." http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...rotective-caps-approved-major-league-baseball

mlb_e_hat11_600x400.jpg

BFIB

Matt Garza's deal is finalized.

Brewers, I think, are going to surprise some this year. Garza/Gallardo/Lohse is a pretty good top 3.

Gomez has taken strides forward, Davis and Gindl will likely float around the OF. Braun, despite his suspension, will put up his usual numbers. They need someone to play first, but barring a bullpen implosion, I think they are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

NL Central is going to be crazy good.

Loco4Coco

Keith Law's Farm System Ranking. (can't put link, need subscription)

1.Astros
2.Twins
3.Pirates
4.Cubs
5.Red Sox
6.Mets
7.Royals
8.Rockies
9.Padres
10.Orioles
11.Dodgers
12.Cardinals
13.Rangers
14.Phillies
15.Diamondbacks
16.Reds
17.Indians
18.Nationals
19.Marlins
20.Yankees
21.Mariners
22.Braves
23.Rays
24.Blue Jays
25.Giants
26.A’s
27.White Sox
28.Tigers
29.Angels
30.Brewers

The Astros are seriously going to be really fucking good in a few years. If they make some smart FA signings to complement the prospects, they might start wrecking the AL West.

Zep

Banned
The Astros are seriously going to be really fucking good in a few years. If they make some smart FA signings to complement the prospects, they might start wrecking the AL West.

We'll see about that. Lets wait till they come up and start wrecking shit before crowning them as "really fucking good."

eznark

Banned
I'd like to see an analysis of some of these lists against actual standings. Like compare Law's 2008 list to 2013 results. I'm guessing there is next to no corollary just thinking back on powerhouse farm systems over the years.

Malvingt2

Keith Law's Farm System Ranking. (can't put link, need subscription)

1.Astros
2.Twins
3.Pirates
4.Cubs
5.Red Sox
6.Mets
7.Royals
8.Rockies
9.Padres
10.Orioles
11.Dodgers
12.Cardinals
13.Rangers
14.Phillies
15.Diamondbacks
16.Reds
17.Indians
18.Nationals
19.Marlins
20.Yankees
21.Mariners
22.Braves
23.Rays
24.Blue Jays
25.Giants
26.A’s
27.White Sox
28.Tigers
29.Angels
30.Brewers

When was the last time that the Braves Farm system was rank this low?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
When was the last time that the Braves Farm system was rank this low?
It could be better, but our Under 25 list is one of the best, so whatever. We'll see what it looks like in a couple years. I am worried about what the outfield will look like in three years, as there aren't any notable outfield prospects in the system right now, save Victor Reyes.

BFIB

If I remember right, wasn't the Red Sox blasted last year during their "rebuilding" offseason phase, and was mentioned that the reason they need to rely on free agents is due to them having a weak farm system (beyond Boegarts, and Bradley Jr)?

Now they're ranked 5th? Just seems odd.

CygnusXS

Well, Parks had Boston at 16th last year. Jumping that much in one year isn't that much of a stretch, especially if none of your top guys graduate.

aFIGurANT

You can use PED and not get caught, unless you're naive and only think the people that have been caught are the ones that have used ever. Are you a Cardinals fan by chance?
I am. That shouldn't change the fact that, knowing the physical/mental health problems hormone treatments produce, steroids shouldn't be acceptable. Supporting guys like Holiday who take a stand on it shouldn't be written up as stupid fanboy behavior. This isn't the NFL where size is the be-all and end-all path to success.

Guys can use but it doesn't make it something we should just accept, especially if it's giving an advantage to only those who choose to break rules to use it.

BFIB

Holliday was adamant against PED use in Colorado, so I don't know why asking if he's a "Cardinals fan" is any correlation with what was being discussed?

Its like fans outside of St. Louis think we worship those who used PED's. Sure, a lot did, but a lot also supported Bonds, Clemens, etc.. Heck, Boston worships the ground Ortiz walks on, and he was linked to them.

TLR had his stance, not that I agree with it. I also didn't agree with Mo's stance of "we are not the morality police" this year after the Peralta signing (which I posted that I was against). A lot of Cardinal fans feel this way, its just the idiots on the other side always seem to be the ones to garner the most attention.

I'd like to see an analysis of some of these lists against actual standings. Like compare Law's 2008 list to 2013 results. I'm guessing there is next to no corollary just thinking back on powerhouse farm systems over the years.

I thought I saw some research recently on player rankings and the eventual production of said players. Probably on Fangraphs.

CygnusXS

AJ Burnett has apparently decided to keep pitching, and possibly for a non-Pirates team.

Let the bidding begin!

cashman

Banned

astros were probably ranked last in 2008 fwiw.

That's what people thought of the Royals. But we crave a different kind of buzz.

Jeff Luhnow is no Drayton Moore

Friggz

He just never did well in the AL east.

As long as you're in NYC you're expected to win and after all those free agents the Yankees have signed you better believe they expect to win.

his first 4 years in the AL east were fine, its the last two with NY where he was terrible.

And by all accounts his a different pitcher than he was then using a changeup more.

Doesnt hurt to take a 1 year flier on him.

The Reds have avoided arbitration with Aroldis Chapman, agreeing on a 1-year, $5 million deal.

The Angels have signed both Brennan Boesch and Carlos Pena to minor league/spring training deals.

CygnusXS

Chapman also gets a $3mm bonus, so I'm not sure if his salary will help or hurt the Braves' case against Kimbrel.

Top Bottom