• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Parch

I might have to bow out of this year's league (Benny The Jet).
My medical board exams in June and July are going to take up a lot of my time from now until then, unfortunately.
Hate to lose you. You might? Or you will? I've got people to fill your spot now if you want to bow out. Just let me know.

That one open spot is now filled and I have backups on the waiting list. If you still want to be on the waiting list just drop me a PM. For those who are asking about the settings...

Live Snake Draft 19 March 7PM ET. (sorry, I'm not going to change this draft time)
14 team keeper league, head to head

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, NA

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Strikeouts per Walk Ratio (K/BB), Quality Starts (QS

Parch

Just checked my roster, how the fuck did I almost make the playoffs. I might not even have 2 players worth keeping.
I see some value there. Won't say who though.

I won't be able to keep both my first rounders. Yahoo ranked some of my guys a lot higher than I hoped they would. Tough decisions now.

RBH

What's wrong with putting ketchup on a hotdog?

Ketchup >>>>> Mustard. The fans have spoken.

jakncoke

Banned
Speaking of weird combos. I read something about Japanese like to mixed their spaghetti with ketchup. Im not sure which im more disgusted by

Zep

Banned
Speaking of weird combos. I read something about Japanese like to mixed their spaghetti with ketchup. Im not sure which im more disgusted by

Thats pretty normal actually. I know my parents did that when they were younger because it was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying spaghetti/marinara sauce.

YAHOO BASEBALL IS BACK!

and so is the NEOGAF Baseball League.
LIVE DRAFT IS WEDNESDAY MARCH 19th 7PM ET

If you had a team last year, please use the Yahoo invite to rejoin the league. This will tie you to last year's roster so that you can pick your keepers. I can only give returning managers 2 weeks to rejoin. We have to recruit and set the draft order, so join asap or risk losing your spot.

Right now there is only one opening in the league. The first GAF member that PM's me through the GAF board can get in now. You'll need a Yahoo account so that I can send you an email invite. There may be more spots open after Feb 15th depending on how many returning managers fail to rejoin. I'll keep a priority list and let you know if you miss out right now.

There is good news and bad news for new teams. Good news is that you get an early pick at the live draft. Bad news is that this is a keeper league and you don't have a team to chose keepers from, but keepers are slotted to their appropriate draft round so there isn't a huge advantage for returning managers.

Yay! Yahoo Baseball is the first sign that baseball is getting close.

rejoined! my suckiness last eyar means i have the 2nd pick.

Just checked my roster, how the fuck did I almost make the playoffs. I might not even have 2 players worth keeping.

I have two, maybe three people worth keeping.

Sucks the draft is on a week night. I don't get home from work that early usually.

time to use those vacation days.

Yeah I don't understand that at all.

Also does this rule apply to Bacon-Wrapped Hotdogs?

no, the salt and grease provided by the bacon means there is no need for another condiment.

I just do cheese on hotdogs.

now that we can agree on sir!

Ketchup on rice is a thing?

ketchup lovers, you put ketchup on your rice too?

I know my family does it. Maybe it is a Dominican thing?

it's a Dominican thing. on fried eggs too.

I hate it and I'm Dominican.

............ dejame ve tu cedula.....

yeah i've done that. it's ok in small doses.

jakncoke

Banned
I buy whatever is on sale for sauces :p

Ketchup on eggs isnt too bad, but if im putting anything on it. I like to make scrambled eggs and put some syrup on it

Malo

Banned
rejoined! my suckiness last eyar means i have the 2nd pick.

time to use those vacation days.

no, the salt and grease provided by the bacon means there is no need for another condiment.

now that we can agree on sir!

it's a Dominican thing. on fried eggs too.

............ dejame ve tu cedula.....

yeah i've done that. it's ok in small doses.
I was born in Brooklyn so no hay cedula loco!

Parch

rejoined! my suckiness last year means i have the 2nd pick.
We will have at least 2 new teams so you're down to the 4th pick. Maybe even further if we get more no shows.

My keeper choices suck. I though some of my young guys would be much better bargains, but Yahoo ranked them quite high. They haven't done anything yet to get ranked that high but Yahoo seems to overrate potential. Tough decisions now, so I might just take a couple late round gambles.

zychi

Banned
anything you put ketchup on, can be replaced with hot sauce. there is no reason to use ketchup ever. mustard is great on burgers, hotdogs, and brats

mayo is meh to me, but i love miracle whip. only time i like regular mayo is on a sub sandwich. jimmy johns has the best mayo(hellmans, i think)

back to baseball, i dont think we're going to see any mlb the show for ps4 stuff until after the ps3 version comes out. its the same thing 2k did with nba, gotta get those last gen sales first.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/giants...-to-prepare-for-long-season-behind-the-plate/

For the first time as a full-time big leaguer, Posey had a regular offseason. The Giants played deep into the fall while winning titles in 2010 and 2012 and Posey spent the months after the 2011 season rehabbing a devastating ankle injury. He said this winter felt long, and it’s not one he wants to repeat, but it allowed Posey and strength coach Carl Kochan to work on a more stringent program. Posey said he has put on about 10 pounds of muscle since the end of the 2013 season.

“I didn’t have to skip any parts,” Posey said. “I feel like I added some good weight. That’s the goal, to be an explosive, powerful player and be able to maintain that during the course of the year.”

aFIGurANT

We will have at least 2 new teams so you're down to the 4th pick. Maybe even further if we get more no shows.

My keeper choices suck. I though some of my young guys would be much better bargains, but Yahoo ranked them quite high. They haven't done anything yet to get ranked that high but Yahoo seems to overrate potential. Tough decisions now, so I might just take a couple late round gambles.

I couldn't be bothered to check to see if you already set a date for keeper picks to be cemented but IMO it would be cool to hold off on that until ST is well under way, maybe even over. Is that your plan for the league, Parch?

I buy whatever is on sale for sauces :p

Ketchup on eggs isnt too bad, but if im putting anything on it. I like to make scrambled eggs and put some syrup on it

I put syrup on sausage or canadian bacon and my wife always looks at me like I am crazy.

So how does this keeper thing work? If I keep a player I lose my draft pick from the round he is projected to be drafted in?

Sanjuro

Why is there an uproar when someone puts ketchup on a hotdog but no one cares when someone puts it on a burger?

Hot dogs and sausages taste better with a solid mustard. Burgers are just unruly. You can kind of do anything to them. Even peanut butter works.

aFIGurANT

I put syrup on sausage or canadian bacon and my wife always looks at me like I am crazy.

So how does this keeper thing work? If I keep a player I lose my draft pick from the round he is projected to be drafted in?

Yep, basically. It's based off Yahoo's O-rank. You divide that number by 13 and round up to the next whole number. For example Hyun-jin Ryu has an O-rank of 101. Divide that by 13 and you get 7.8 which means keeping him will take away your eighth round pick. The deadline for setting your keepers is Tuesday the 18th of March.

Parch

I couldn't be bothered to check to see if you already set a date for keeper picks to be cemented but IMO it would be cool to hold off on that until ST is well under way, maybe even over. Is that your plan for the league, Parch?
Yup. The keeper deadline is Tuesday March 18th, the day before the live draft. You can change your picks at anytime before that.

Enron

Banned

Parch - so just to confirm, the draft will still snake, right?

Edit: lol, the exact same situation i bitched about last year about keepers came true for me. My best two players are both ranked in the first round, and i dont really have anyone else ranked until like 67 overall. Feels bad.

Parch

Parch - so just to confirm, the draft will still snake, right?
Yes, snake. That's important for those early keeper choices.

I've got 2 guys in the first round too and will have to make a tough choice. Not overly impressed with the rest of the rankings so I'm not really sure who to keep.

That article on the main Yahoo Fantasy Baseball page about rankings has links to FantasyPros. Good info there. Yahoo usually doesn't give a crap about other site's rankings but that's a handy spot for all the good fantasy sites.

Caribbean Series is on right now, but it's on ESPN Deportes. I can't watch it on XBox or the internet because Time Warner apparently STILL doesn't have this fleshed out???

Meanwhile, the MLB Network is showing Little Big League, which they seem to do EVERY. FUCKING. SATURDAY.

There is baseball happening year-round somewhere, and there are already cameras at a lot of these games. MLB Network and MLB.TV need to get their act together. The offseason content on these providers is absolute garbage. Oh wait... there might be a new Top 10 closers in the 1980s special, or some new info on who Fernando Rodney's agent might have talked to today. Never mind.

The Nationals have avoided arbitration with Doug Fister, agreeing to a 1-year, $7.2 million deal plus unknown bonuses for innings pitched.

The Dodgers have avoided arbitration with A.J. Ellis, agreeing to a 1-year, $3.55 million deal plus a potential $0.15 million incentives for making 110 starts ($0.05 million), 115 starts ($0.05 million), and 450 plate appearances ($0.05 million).

aFIGurANT

The Nationals have avoided arbitration with Doug Fister, agreeing to a 1-year, $7.2 million deal plus unknown bonuses for innings pitched.

The Dodgers have avoided arbitration with A.J. Ellis, agreeing to a 1-year, $3.55 million deal plus a potential $0.15 million incentives for making 110 starts ($0.05 million), 115 starts ($0.05 million), and 450 plate appearances ($0.05 million).

Dat Dodger micro-transaction strategy. That should be a fairly easy 150k for the taking.

I was born in Brooklyn so no hay cedula loco!

:D

anything you put ketchup on, can be replaced with hot sauce. there is no reason to use ketchup ever. mustard is great on burgers, hotdogs, and brats
mayo is meh to me, but i love miracle whip. only time i like regular mayo is on a sub sandwich. jimmy johns has the best mayo(hellmans, i think)
back to baseball, i dont think we're going to see any mlb the show for ps4 stuff until after the ps3 version comes out. its the same thing 2k did with nba, gotta get those last gen sales first.

maybe I don't want my food to be overwhelmed with the taste of burning lava all the time.

when we were little, my brother loved to put mayonnaise (like, a LOT of it) on his rice.

cray cray. is he still alive?

Hot dogs and sausages taste better with a solid mustard. Burgers are just unruly. You can kind of do anything to them. Even peanut butter works.

your opinion, different taste buds and all that.

So who i'm suppose to trade players with now? We both came out fair on all trades.
Good Luck on your studies!!

I'm still around, I promise to be more aggressive with trades this year.

Carribbean World series is on, if any of you have the time Warner Spanish TV package you can tune in to one of teh local Dominican channels and watch it there...... but i'm going to guess only Eznark has that package ;b LOL

Caribbean Series is on right now, but it's on ESPN Deportes. I can't watch it on XBox or the internet because Time Warner apparently STILL doesn't have this fleshed out???

Meanwhile, the MLB Network is showing Little Big League, which they seem to do EVERY. FUCKING. SATURDAY.

There is baseball happening year-round somewhere, and there are already cameras at a lot of these games. MLB Network and MLB.TV need to get their act together. The offseason content on these providers is absolute garbage. Oh wait... there might be a new Top 10 closers in the 1980s special, or some new info on who Fernando Rodney's agent might have talked to today. Never mind.
Funny thing is MLB Network showed the Series right when the network started. They def. need to start showing it again.

Just in time for A.J. Ellis bobblehead day this year!

Enron

Banned
Attention mlbGAF Fantasy Rejects owners from last season - check your inboxes, I have renewed the league from last year.

I will be putting up a poll immediately that will close a couple of weeks before the draft - whether to use OBP, OPS, or BA. Last year not enough people voted before the draft so we had to keep BA, but I would like to replace it.

Also, we will have 2 spots for active posters open. Two teams from last year logged in like once every 2 months so those owners have not been asked back. The first two guys that PM me whom I deem to be active enough posters will get those spots.

Roto
Draft Type: Live Standard Draft
Draft Time: Sun Mar 16 9:00pm EDT

Returning owners - Please join within the next 3 weeks. I need time to find other owners if need be and give everyone a chance to vote in whatever polls might be necessary. Thanks.

Top Bottom