• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Enron

Banned
You get him until the last theoretical year of his prime. and are only paying 16.8 million a year for a .387woba / 150wrc player. its kind of a steal.

freemannod.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
You get him until the last theoretical year of his prime. and are only paying 16.8 million a year for a .387woba / 150wrc player. its kind of a steal.
I think it's a pretty good deal, I'm just in shock. I never expected this. Thought he was walking in three years for sure.

rekameohs

Banned
Man, that 6 year, $46.5 million deal for Goldschmidt looks fucking incredible right now.

Still think the Braves are getting a good deal with Freeman.

Friggz

Kimbrel is going to be an issue for the Braves. Probably they are not going to keep him.

as nasty has kimbrel is, its probably best to trade him now or next year while his value is at his absolute peak. can probably get a top 40 prospect and a b level prospect for him.

i feel like once his velocity starts to go, he wont be as dominate.

jakncoke

Banned
Has the following ever happened in baseball history,

The ump is busting my balls with this strike zone, I want to throw a fastball at his fucking face. What im asking has any pitcher/catcher gotten so pissed at a ump they decide to call a pitch and the catcher not get his glove up in time and beam the fucking ump with a 95 mph fastball to the dome

Talon

For Yankeehater:
So we paid Ryan Howard 5 years, 125 Million that started in his age 32 season where he was recovering from a torn Achillies. The Braves sign Freeman for the same amount of money but for more years while being in the prime of his career. :-| I hate Ruben Amaro Jr…

You are incorrigible.

In what way? Freeman is a nice player so far but he isnt even close to where Howard was. Sucks for the Phils that Howard never came back the same for the injury so the deal didnt work out for them. We will see over then next 8 years how this works out for the Braves.

eznark

Banned
Can you tell me what Freeman's stats going forward will be? Cause then we could compare those.

Freddie Freeman has 68 more home runs, 250 more runs, 280 more RBI, 786 more total bases and a whopping 7 more stolen bases than Ryan Howard did at the age of 24.

Enron

Banned
So...any bets on who the sponsor for the The Ballpark in Arlington will be? Internet seems to think Samsung. Hoping for Jack Daniels myself.

Malvingt2

Freddie Freeman has 68 more home runs, 250 more runs, 280 more RBI, 786 more total bases and a whopping 7 more stolen bases than Ryan Howard did at the age of 24.

Oh shit. I just saw the stats. I swear, I though Howard debut younger than 24. This Braves deal looks better by the second.

Yeah, anyone who is questioning this deal (aside from why would he sign it?) is kind of an idiot.

I didnt see anyone questioning it at all. I just replied to talons post. It is funny that you would compare their stats at age 24 though seeing how Howard didnt even make his MLB debut until age 24. Whatever though the Braves can have a gold star for signing a potentially good deal. Ruben will just have to console himself with the WS trophy that he won as a GM.

BFIB

Yeah, anyone who is questioning this deal (aside from why would he sign it?) is kind of an idiot.

This is one of those deals that benefit both the player and the team involved, a great deal for both sides IMO.

Trout is gonna get paid.

Malvingt2

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves
#Braves will have a 1:30 p.m. press conference at Turner Field with Freddie Freeman, who signed franchise-record $135M contract Tues.

Sanjuro

You bostonians wish you had the soil to have a plantation

Hey! We freed the slaves. Had some of the more progressive black people who ever lived.

...all so we could throw bottles at them from southie and judge them viciously as they drunkenly hit parked cars on the way home from the Foxy Lady.

3N16MA

Banned
Whats to defend it obviously didnt work out since he never recovered from the injury.

It would have never worked out even if he was healthy. Howard was horrible 1B who overrated and on the decline while leaving his prime. Giving him a 125M contract with a 25M AAV was dumb and setup to fail no matter how healthy he was.

Sanjuro

Former stars Roger Clemens, Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez and radio play-by-play voice Joe Castiglione were selected to be inducted into the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame, the team announced Wednesday.

2014 saved! I've had dreams about this!

ci3fkaO.jpg

It would have never worked out even if he was healthy. Howard was horrible 1B who overrated and on the decline while leaving his prime. Giving him a 125M contract with a 25M AAV was dumb and setup to fail no matter how healthy he was.

I have no idea what you mean by it would never have worked out if he was healthy. He was obviously going to produce less going forward because all players produce less once they get past a certain age, but if he could have been productive and they had won another WS then it would have been a fine deal. Its not like signing him stopped the Phils from signing other players that they wanted to.

3N16MA

Banned
I have no idea what you mean by it would never have worked out if he was healthy. He was obviously going to produce less going forward because all players produce less once they get past a certain age, but if he could have been productive and they had won another WS then it would have been a fine deal. Its not like signing him stopped the Phils from signing other players that they wanted to.

He would never come close to earning a 125M contract. The Phillies got the best years out of him and should have walked away unless he was willing to do a smaller deal. It wasn't just that Howard was not going to produce less moving forward but he had already shown he was on a big decline in 2010/2011.

Of all qualified 1B from 2010-2011 Howard was ranked 16th in fWAR right behind James Loney. The guy was on a rapid decline and it was not going to get any better at age 32+.

From 2005-2009: .396 wOBA/139 wRC+

From 2010-2011: .362 wOBA/125 wRC+

The one thing he was known for (offense) was already in a big decline.

Malvingt2

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves
#Braves Wren said revenue increases at Cobb Co. ballpark will allow team to be "more competitive" and keep many of its homegrown players.

great news.

He would never come close to earning a 125M contract. The Phillies got the best years out of him and should have walked away unless he was willing to do a smaller deal. It wasn't just that Howard was not going to produce less moving forward but he had already shown he was on a big decline in 2010/2011.

Of all qualified 1B from 2010-2011 Howard was ranked 16th in fWAR right behind James Loney. The guy was on a rapid decline and it was not going to get any better at age 32+.

From 2005-2009: .396 wOBA/139 wRC+

From 2010-2011: .362 wOBA/125 wRC+

The one thing he was known for (offense) was already in a big decline.

I know that he was never going to produce $125m worth on the field. The whole point was they were a WS team and came really close to winning it 2 more times. If they had gotten even a little more out of Howard those years they could have definitely won another WS. $125m is nothing if it gets them another WS, it just didnt work out that way because they didnt even get 70% of Howard those years. As much as people want to say it was a terrible deal it didnt hurt the team in any way. They still signed the FA they wanted, and gave extensions to the guys they wanted to keep.

3N16MA

Banned
I know that he was never going to produce $125m worth on the field. The whole point was they were a WS team and came really close to winning it 2 more times. If they had gotten even a little more out of Howard those years they could have definitely won another WS. $125m is nothing if it gets them another WS, it just didnt work out that way because they didnt even get 70% of Howard those years. As much as people want to say it was a terrible deal it didnt hurt the team in any way. They still signed the FA they wanted, and gave extensions to the guys they wanted to keep.

Well I'm sure the Phillies did not expect him to decline so fast right after getting that extension (by the way I thought he got it after the 2010 season so I was mistaken). However I would have not been in a hurry to extend a 30 year old 1B for 125M.

I always thought he was overrated and not elite despite all those home runs and RBIs.

I didnt see anyone questioning it at all. I just replied to talons post. It is funny that you would compare their stats at age 24 though seeing how Howard didnt even make his MLB debut until age 24. Whatever though the Braves can have a gold star for signing a potentially good deal. Ruben will just have to console himself with the WS trophy that he won as a GM.

ok, compare their first three to five years then.

Top Bottom