• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Just woke up to hear that baseball and Mets broadcasting legend Ralph Kiner passed away. :( He was a gentleman and a baseball treasure! I grew up watching and hearing him doing Mets broadcasts on the local NYC station along with Tim McCarver among others. His stories were always a treat to hear and he sure lived a heck of a life.

RIP Ralphie boy..
ralph-kiner.jpg

Damn. I've been watching Mets games with Kiner for like forever. RIP.

As a longtime MLB.tv subscriber I love to watch the Mets broadcast even when the team is playing bad baseball. I really liked when Kiner visited the booth, told stories of his playing days and doesn't shy away from criticizing players and the official scorer like nobody seems to do nowadays.

RIP

The Marlins have signed Carlos Marmol to a 1-year, $1.25 million deal.

100k for every strike he throws. Nice deal.
Marmol is one of my favorite relievers to watch(If I was a fan of the team he pitches for it would be different of course) always walking the tight rope and losing/finding it out of nothing.

Malvingt2

Jonah Keri ‏@jonahkeri
Source: #Mariners, Fernando Rodney agree on 2-year, $14 million contract. Could earn up to $15M with incentives.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'll miss Rodney.

Went from having one of the greatest seasons ever for a reliever in the history of baseball back to being Fernando Rodney last year.

Not a terrible signing for the Mariners but I'm glad we have Balfour instead.

Macattk15

Woo Rodney....

Incoming Nelson Cruz ....

Least Rodney's deal isn't TOO bad. Joe Nathan signed 2/20 early in the offseason ... I'd rather have Rodney since he's not 40.

This also means Hector Noesi will probably be DFA'ed ... thank god.

Freddie Freeman breakdown:

2014 (age 25): $5.125 million
2015 (age 26): $8.5 million
2016 (age 27): $12 million
2017 (age 28): $20.5 million
2018 (age 29): $21 million
2019 (age 30): $21 million
2020 (age 31): $22 million
2021 (age 32): $22 million

Also gets a $2.875 million signing bonus. No word award or performance incentives. There are no club or player opinions and the Braves don't do no-trade clauses.

3N16MA

Banned
I'll miss Rodney.

Went from having one of the greatest seasons ever for a reliever in the history of baseball back to being Fernando Rodney last year.

Not a terrible signing for the Mariners but I'm glad we have Balfour instead.

It wasn't even the best season for a reliever in 2012.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Woo Rodney....

Incoming Nelson Cruz ....

Least Rodney's deal isn't TOO bad. Joe Nathan signed 2/20 early in the offseason ... I'd rather have Rodney since he's not 40.

This also means Hector Noesi will probably be DFA'ed ... thank god.

If we got Cruz that would make for a fun season

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Nathan's corpse is significantly better than Fernando Rodney. Rodney was insane in 2012 no doubt, but all but one of Nathan's seasons from 2003 to present are better than every non-2012 Fernando Rodney season. And (unfortunately) I'm sure he'll be great for the Tigers.

Friggz

It wasn't even the best season for a reliever in 2012.

considering the division and competition, yes it was.

that being said, the season he had completely came out of left field. he had an 86 ERA+ in 2011...and a 641 ERA + in 2012....??

The Rockies will retire Todd Helton's #17 in a ceremony at Coors Field on August 17. Helton's #17 will be the first retired number in Rockies franchise history (alongside Jackie Robinson's #42, which was retired league-wide in 1997).

Macattk15

Joe Nathan's corpse is significantly better than Fernando Rodney. Rodney was insane in 2012 no doubt, but all but one of Nathan's seasons from 2003 to present are better than every non-2012 Fernando Rodney season. And (unfortunately) I'm sure he'll be great for the Tigers.

At this point in their careers ... not that much is separating them stats wise.

Of course Joe Nathan is/was a better pitcher for a long time ... that doesn't matter now.

Joe Nathan gave up a much smaller than his averages number of HRs last year, that is why his ERA was so shiny.

xFIP's for both of them in the 3.1-3.2 range recently.

If we got Cruz that would make for a fun season

Eh. Don't think Cruz will be remotely worth what we pay him ... if it's ANYTHING more than 2/16.

We'd also have to trade Smoak ... not that I'd mind or care.

Looks like Seattle wants to ease Farquhar into the job by having him pitch setup, but it wouldn't surprise me if he steals the job before next year.

Could happen. Tom Wilhelmsen could also not suck anymore too.

Enron

Banned
Cruz would make for a fun season.....for the rest of the teams in the West.

Seriously, fuck Cruz.

Also lol
mlbtraderumors said:
The Astros have designated Brett Wallace for assignment to make roster space for newly signed pitcher Jerome Williams, the club announced via press release.

3N16MA

Banned
considering the division and competition, yes it was.

that being said, the season he had completely came out of left field. he had an 86 ERA+ in 2011...and a 641 ERA + in 2012....??

It was the lowest ERA in the history of baseball for a reliever with 50 plus innings (0.60 in 74.2 IP) . Lower than Eck's best year. You can take your WAR or whatever and shove it!

Kimbrel: 26 ERA -, 21 FIP -, 23 xFIP -

Rodney: 16 ERA -, 54 FIP -, 64 xFIP -

All those numbers are league and park adjusted. Rodney had the ERA advantage while Kimbrel had the advantage in pretty much every advanced stat. You can even look at some more traditional stats and Kimbrel still has the advantage in some of them.

Better K%, K/BB, AVG, WHIP. Rodney's HR/9 and BB/9 advantage is no where close enough to make up for the massive K/9 advantage Kimbrel had. Kimbrel allowed less runners to reach base and stranded the ones he left on at a higher rate.

I will say that Kimbrel had a better defense behind him but the Rays were no slouch either. I'm not ignoring ERA as it has value but Kimbrel has the advantage in my opinion.

BFIB

I'm ready for the regular season OT. I'm ready for the Council to lose their collective minds with no A-Rod. I'm ready for the new blood that has to endure the bandwagon comments. I'm ready for eznark's snarky responses. I'm ready for that one Marlins fan to grandpasimpson.gif his way in and out of the OT.

Hell, I'm even ready for the hate that MLB-GAF has for the Cardinals. Why!? Because that means baseball is officially back!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm ready for the regular season OT. I'm ready for the Council to lose their collective minds with no A-Rod. I'm ready for the new blood that has to endure the bandwagon comments. I'm ready for eznark's snarky responses. I'm ready for that one Marlins fan to grandpasimpson.gif his way in and out of the OT.

Hell, I'm even ready for the hate that MLB-GAF has for the Cardinals. Why!? Because that means baseball is officially back!

I suspect for many, Cardinals hate is year-round!

3N16MA

Banned
Looks like Seattle wants to ease Farquhar into the job by having him pitch setup, but it wouldn't surprise me if he steals the job before next year.

Hey Parch, I sent you a PM and email regarding the GAF fantasy league. Get back to me as soon as you can.

Enron

Banned
The Rangers are engaged in talks with free agent starter Tommy Hanson, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Morosi reported earlier today that Hanson had received multiple offers.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no go home jon daniels, you're drunk

jakncoke

Banned
woah rip Ralph Kiner

Born Oct. 27, 1922, in Santa Rita, N.M., a town that no longer exists, Kiner grew up in Southern California. His father, a baker, died when he was 4 and his mother brought him to the Los Angeles area. Kiner graduated from Alhambra High School and, at 18, signed with the Pirates for a $3,000 bonus and a promise of $5,000 more when he made the majors. He attended what was then called Pasadena Junior College during his minor league years, then was drafted in 1943 and served for two years in the Navy.

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-ralph-kiner-20140207,0,7990752.story#ixzz2scmlTaTS

crazy

Seems like an opt out clause is whats stopping a deal between Mets and Drew. He wants one after the first year and Alderson is steadfast about not giving one. He's willing to give him 3 years if necessary. No reason to rush it now.

Top Bottom