• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

3N16MA

Banned
Ervin Santana wants 5/112.

i4G8BJmCh9HER.gif

BFIB

We hardly knew ye Little Pony. Good bye. I will remember all the great times we had together at the ballpark.

Mariners show interest in Matt Kemp. What a shocker!!!!111!1!1!!1!

I'm surprised that the Doyers are discussing Kemp, but not Eithier.

It is clear they are trying to improve the overall power of the team. He might have only hit .194 but he had 21 HRs. Playing in CBP hopefully he would hit even more.

You have no idea how thoroughly terrible Arencibia is at every aspect of the game. He just had the third-lowest OBP in history of any player with 450 at-bats. He (obviously) never walks, and swings at pretty much everything. His defense is awful -- he just led the AL (possibly the majors? I can't remember) in passed balls and catcher errors. He gets in phases where he loves throwing from his knees, even though he can't throw accurately from there to save his life. He seems to have a lousy attitude, based on his interactions with the media, and he doesn't seem to even understand what makes him such a terrible player. Believe me, if the Jays can not only get rid of him but get any kind of return -- even a bat rack will do -- I'll be overjoyed, but I feel it's my duty to warn you that absolutely nothing good can come from having JP Arencibia on your team.

You have no idea how thoroughly terrible Arencibia is at every aspect of the game. He just had the third-lowest OBP in history of any player with 450 at-bats. He (obviously) never walks, and swings at pretty much everything. His defense is awful -- he just led the AL (possibly the majors? I can't remember) in passed balls and catcher errors. He gets in phases where he loves throwing from his knees, even though he can't throw accurately from there to save his life. He seems to have a lousy attitude, based on his interactions with the media, and he doesn't seem to even understand what makes him such a terrible player. Believe me, if the Jays can not only get rid of him but get any kind of return -- even a bat rack will do -- I'll be overjoyed, but I feel it's my duty to warn you that absolutely nothing good can come from having JP Arencibia on your team.

Damn that is a rough review.

BFIB

Exactly why it would be beyond stupid for the Cards to dump Freese for a non-prospect instead of hoping he has a bounceback season. Even if he isn't a full time starter, he provides some RH pop off the bench.

I'm pretty much in the same mindset. I think Freese playing days as a 150 game starter are behind him, but as a platoon on 3B with MCarp works well. MCarp against righties at 3B with Wong at 2B, then Freese at 3B with MCarp at 2B against lefties.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

It's amazing how he's still at the major league level.

If the Phillies trade for him, Jesus Christ I won't be able to stop laughing at how inept RAJ is.

I'm surprised that the Doyers are discussing Kemp, but not Eithier.
I'm sure they're trying to shop Ethier around but I'm surprised that the Mariners would be interested in Kemp considering his recent inability to stay healthy.

Yankees aren't signing Brian Wilson because his agent told them he will not shave his beard.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/13/brian-wilson-cant-sign-with-the-yankees-because-he-wont-shave-his-beard/

Max Scherzer wins the AL Cy Young.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Proud to say I called the Scherzer Cy Young at the start of the season. I picked Jordan Zimmermann for the NL though. :/

Branduil

Code:
Name               Affiliation         Chapter         1st         2nd         3rd         4th         5th
Gerry Fraley 	Dallas Morning News 	TEX 	Scherzer 	Iwakuma 	Colon 	Sanchez 	Darvish

smh

aFIGurANT

Texas still thinks it's all about the W, apparently. Which only explains Colon and Scherzer, really. Iwakuma didn't break 12 iirc.

The Mets had a secret meeting with free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta during the winter meetings, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

The Mets need help all over the diamond, so while it's a bit of a surprise it's not a complete shock that they would have interest in the 31-year-old. Peralta hit .303/.358/.457 in 2013 before missing 50 games due to a suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs. The Mets are also monitoring other shortstops aside from Peralta -- the team leaned on the likes of Ruben Tejada, Justin Turner and Omar Quintanilla at the position last year.
Sandy be moving on people like a ninja yo.

BFIB

Why didn't St. Louis and Boston discuss Iglesias last summer? A good match there.

Mo is a great GM, but him, and the Cardinals in general, have overlooked middle infield for years.

Since Eckstein left, its pretty much been a round robin at SS. 2B has fared better, but you've also seen two players (Schumaker and MCarp) converted to that position because they did not have any other real options.

Between that and the money that's been spent (Furcal, Khalil Green) without any real impact being made at the position, its not surprising that the Cards weren't in on Ingelsias, or anyone else for that matter.

aFIGurANT

I would love it if they made all the writer's association awards into cool swag that the players could wear each game. This seems like a good approach to that, I'm sure it wouldn't slow down Kershaw on the mound so why not?

Because it's beisbol, that's why

Mo is a great GM, but him, and the Cardinals in general, have overlooked middle infield for years.

Since Eckstein left, its pretty much been a round robin at SS. 2B has fared better, but you've also seen two players (Schumaker and MCarp) converted to that position because they did not have any other real options.

Between that and the money that's been spent (Furcal, Khalil Green) without any real impact being made at the position, its not surprising that the Cards weren't in on Ingelsias, or anyone else for that matter.
2B has been worse than SS in this regard until this season with Marp's emergence. I love Skip's attempt to play the position but we've been throwing spare parts at 2B since Grudzielanek left. At least SS has seen some effort put into it via trades (Greene, Theriot, Furcal), even if none of them worked out. The only external option for 2B since 2005 has been a Belliard rental during the 2006 stretch run, I think?

It's hard to say why they didn't go after Iglesias without any inside info. For all we know, every GM is trying to pull a fast one on Mozeliak since he has so many valuable trade chips on hand. Which would explain the CarMart for Alexei rumor and the Shelby for Hardy rumor.
clickbait speculation by the media is probably a factor too

Friggz

If these seasons that trout are having arent mvp worthy...than i dont know what else he has to do. The kid is the second coming of mantle.

DiscoJer

I wouldn't say neglect. They just missed badly with their draft picks in the middle infield. They drafted Pete Kozma with their 1st round pick. Then, the Cardinals (Luhnow, not Mo) compared him to Nomar Garciaparra.

Tyler Green is another. Brendan Ryan. Somehow they keep finding guys who can field, but simply can't hit.

JABEE

Nutso rumors flying around that Phillies are discussing a trade of Ryan Howard and Cash for David Price.

Supposedly it originated from a Tampa radio station.

Edit: Seems like it's fake. It's too crazy to believe.

Syrinx

Nutso rumors flying around that Phillies are discussing a trade of Ryan Howard and Cash for David Price.

Hahahahahaha. Those "discussions" would just consist of the Rays front office pointing and laughing at Ruben Amaro.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Too stupid to even be a good fake.

Congrats to both MVP winners. Trout isn't going to win MVP at this rate if he has to keep going up against Miggy. Both of those guys are playing out of their minds right now.

Gotta be a great feeling in Pittsburgh. First playoff appearance in over 20 years and a MVP win for Cutch.

Top Bottom