• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

I see Cardinal hate is strong here. That's a plus.

I mean how could you not hate a franchise that replaces anybody even fucking Albert Pujols with some no name marginal prospect like Allen Craig who even outperforms him?
Same for Rolen, Edmonds and whoever else played for this franchise.Rinse and repeat...

BFIB

I see Cardinal hate is strong here. That's a plus.

I mean how could you not hate a franchise that replaces anybody even fucking Albert Pujols with some no name marginal prospect like Allen Craig who even outperforms him?
Same for Rolen, Edmonds and whoever else played for this franchise.Rinse and repeat...

Rolen was replaced with Troy Glaus (who did have a decent year). But I'd take Rolen over Glaus 10 out of 10 times.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shelby Miller's demise and demotion will be of great joy to me.

Demotion? The demise part is probably already there with that injured shoulder they were telling nobody about but I think after the demise part there is no demotion, he's just done.

fuck the cardinals

eznark

Banned
Even without the shoulder his pitchfx was supposedly terrifying all year long according to Lindbergh. It took like two weeks for teams to figure him out then he just got crazy lucky for awhile. Supposedly people were just fucking teeing off on his one and a half pitches.

If Kenney weren't such an idiot he would have asked the obvious follow up: what have you heard about Gerrit Cole's contact data.

You shouldn't be the preseason #1 when Jhonny Peralta is your starting shortstop.
I hope he gained some weight after his suspension.

eznark

Banned
Eh, Brewers should probably be right around .500. They actually underperformed their expected record and that was without Braun and with Bettancourt playing essentially everyday. Improved pitching, Braun options at 2B and an improved 1B situation (sure it still sucks but it won't be a worst 1B performance in the history of baseball like last year) I think it won't be too insane for them to get 82 wins.

Eh, Brewers should probably be right around .500. They actually underperformed their expected record and that was without Braun and with Bettancourt playing essentially everyday. Improved pitching, Braun options at 2B and an improved 1B situation (sure it still sucks but it won't be a worst 1B performance in the history of baseball like last year) I think it won't be too insane for them to get 82 wins.

Their pitching is still questionable even after adding Garza though IMO. (Galardo just doesn't look right) and you can't rely on repeat performances by Scooter Gennett and Khris Davis.
The farm is pretty barren and Ramirez is a huge injury concern. And I really disliked the Aoki trade. The NL Central is tough right now .500 might be stretching it.

eznark

Banned
Their pitching is still questionable even after adding Garza though IMO. (Galardo just doesn't look right) and you can't rely on repeat performances by Scooter Gennett and Khris Davis.
The farm is pretty barren and Ramirez is a huge injury concern. And I really disliked the Aoki trade. The NL Central is tough right now .500 might be stretching it.

Aoki was already a rapidly diminishing commodity. I'm thrilled they were able to get rid of him when they did. As far as Davis, he is obviously not going to be a .949 OPS guy but he doesn't have to be. He just has to be Aoki last year (poor) as long as Braun is Braun.

Ramirez and Gomez are the big question marks to me. How far will Gomez backslide and how long can ARam play. If he plays 120 games I'll be happy.

Scooter and Lucroy will keep being kinda garbage offensively while hopefully Segura is able to put it together for a full season.

Gallardo is what he is. Capable of being an ace but generally more like a 4. Every pitcher will keep them in games which is nice, certainly won't win any though. Their defense is improved with Scooter and XXXXX at first. They have a bit more range in right with Davis but his arm is laughably bad.

All in all I think the Effectively Wild guys said it best, it isn't hard to find a good team in there. They don't even need that much to go right for them to be .500. If things do go right for them (Davis is actually good, Scooter gets on base, Ramirez stays healthy, Gallardo finds it) then you can actually see a playoff team.

Right now though, I'd say 79 wins of forced to guess. We'll see who emerges at first and how the bullpen shakes out though.

jakncoke

Banned
Reading what ESPN wrote and mentioning stuff bout Frank Coonelly, he is just going to just sit on all the new found money from attendance increase and that 25 or whatever million forever and not invest a dime back into this team. Lying fuck face really. We could of had 81 games of 100k attendance a game, sold beer for 59 bucks, hot dogs 40 bucks, parking 100 bucks a minute and that asshole wouldnt increase the payroll.

Reading what ESPN wrote and mentioning stuff bout Frank Coonelly, he is just going to just sit on all the new found money from attendance increase and that 25 or whatever million forever and not invest a dime back into this team. Lying fuck face really. We could of had 81 games of 100k attendance a game, sold beer for 59 bucks, hot dogs 40 bucks, parking 100 bucks a minute and that asshole wouldnt increase the payroll.

Yeah Loria gets all the heat for being a terrible owners, but the Pirates owner is even worse. They got a new stadium, draw great, and he pockets all the profits every year. Sucks because I would love to see the Pirates do well since they are also in PA but it wont happen with the current ownership.

eznark

Banned
Yeah Loria gets all the heat for being a terrible owners, but the Pirates owner is even worse. They got a new stadium, draw great, and he pockets all the profits every year. Sucks because I would love to see the Pirates do well since they are also in PA but it wont happen with the current ownership.

Is that actually true? I feel like their attendance dropped off pretty rapidly after the stadium was built.

BFIB

Weren't they always the team that said "If we have reasons to spend, we'll spend."?

Well, they have a reason to spend. Even in a market that's a little weaker than previous years, there was still players out there, and moves that could have been made to put together something really great.

jakncoke

Banned
At least 2.5m every year since 2004. They only ever topped 2.5m once in their history before moving to the new stadium.

You're reading the wrong column. Attendance dropped off after our opening year because well Kevin McClatchey was even worse. McCutchen would of been traded instead of given a deal. We would of never over slotted anyone, he was the type that went cheap.

edit; last year which isnt listed on that was 2,256,862 which puts it 2nd all time for a Pirates baseball team and just 5th season over 2 million

Is that actually true? I feel like their attendance dropped off pretty rapidly after the stadium was built.

They also fielded some terrible, terrible teams. And the firesale in 09 didn't really gave them a boost in confidence from their fanbase(although it was the right move).

LOLO, the last column is NL average and not Pirates attendance. Yeah it does look like attendance isnt great in the new park. I guess the only Pirates games I watch every year the place is sold out but that is against the Phils. They need to put those teams in the same division some how. So the attendance was good the first year and has sucked every year since. Weird that they are the most profitable team then.

Pirates related question: Has Polanco every chance to win the LF(moving Marte to RF)/RF starting job? One of the more intriguing decisions around the prospect world IMO because I really don't believe his bat plays well enough in the corners.

jakncoke

Banned
LOLO, the last column is NL average and not Pirates attendance. Yeah it does look like attendance isnt great in the new park. I guess the only Pirates games I watch every year the place is sold out but that is against the Phils. They need to put those teams in the same division some how. So the attendance was good the first year and has sucked every year since. Weird that they are the most profitable team then.

Well we got a lot of Yankees tax and had basically no payroll. 45 was considered a lot for us for years. Hell in 1997 we fielded a like 9 million team. They have been pocketing cash for years really without reinvesting much. They finally started to pay in the draft and international free agents but that is all gone.

Pirates related question: Has Polanco every chance to win the LF(moving Marte to RF)/RF starting job? One of the more intriguing decisions around the prospect world IMO because I really don't believe his bat plays well enough in the corners.

RF is all but his, We're trotting out Jose Tabata and Travis Snider till he is ready.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Teams have been more willing to accept athleticism and defensive ability over offensive prowess in the corner spots in recent years.

Not sure who the better defender is between Polanco and McCutchen, so chances are they'll keep Polanco in the corner. He should be fine there.

RF is all but his, We're trotting out Jose Tabata and Travis Snider till he is ready.

So a June callup probably to get an extra year of control looks likely?
Wouldn't RF in PNC be a bit of a waste of his defense?

Easy fix: Trade Marte to the White Sox, we'll give you Jeff Keppinger!

aFIGurANT

White Sox sign Mitchell Boggs, trying to capture some Cards magic I suppose.

I still wonder what in the fuck happened to that guy. His dramatic failure at moving to the 9th inning is reason enough to buy the whole notion of closers being sent from heaven only when the moon is waning and virgins have been sacrificed etc. Did he ever pitch for Colorado this past year? Paging the non-existant Rox fans here on GAF.

jakncoke

Banned
So a June callup probably to get an extra year of control looks likely?
Wouldn't RF in PNC be a bit of a waste of his defense?

Easy fix: Trade Marte to the White Sox, we'll give you Jeff Keppinger!

Well what they going to do ? Marte is no slouch in LF, Cutch got CF on lockdown. Also lol at your easy fix

Well what they going to do ? Marte is no slouch in LF, Cutch got CF on lockdown. Also lol at your easy fix

Trade him for a SS but sure this would be only an OOTP kind of move ;)

Jeff Keppinger is every meathead fan's wet dream. Scrappy, doesn't strike out very often,doesn't swing for the fences and sports a beard. You must take him now.

BFIB

I still wonder what in the fuck happened to that guy. His dramatic failure at moving to the 9th inning is reason enough to buy the whole notion of closers being sent from heaven only when the moon is waning and virgins have been sacrificed etc. Did he ever pitch for Colorado this past year? Paging the non-existant Rox fans here on GAF.

He got a case of the Ryan Franklin.

The prospect Three CFs out there must feel good!
Young-Lagares-Granderson has me giddy after watching Duda and the like try to field for the past seasons.

jakncoke

Banned
We could always trade one our other OF prospects. Between using a comp 1st on Barret Barnes in 2012, spending 5 million on Josh Bell in 2011, and drafting Austin Meadows in the 1st this year. With Polanco nearing majors. One has to wonder what exactly are they trying to do

3N16MA

Banned
Trade him for a SS but sure this would be only an OOTP kind of move ;)

Jeff Keppinger is every meathead fan's wet dream. Scrappy, doesn't strike out very often,doesn't swing for the fences and sports a beard. You must take him now.

Sounds like Red Sox material.

We could always trade one our other OF prospects. Between using a comp 1st on Barret Barnes in 2012, spending 5 million on Josh Bell in 2011, and drafting Austin Meadows in the 1st this year. With Polanco nearing majors. One has to wonder what exactly are they trying to do

Phils desperately need OF help, you guys want a young catcher?

[...]Lucroy will keep being kinda garbage offensively while hopefully Segura is able to put it together for a full season.

Lucroy garbage? Man you really have some high expectations. I'd take an 114 OPS+ from my team's catcher every day of the week. (Especially after seeing our catchers combined hit for a robust .564 OPS)

Top Bottom