• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Syrinx

Seems like an opt out clause is whats stopping a deal between Mets and Drew. He wants one after the first year and Alderson is steadfast about not giving one. He's willing to give him 3 years if necessary. No reason to rush it now.

So the Mets are pretty much the favorites to sign Drew now? I know the Yankees were looking at him, but I don't know anybody else who was interested.

aFIGurANT

So the Mets are pretty much the favorites to sign Drew now? I know the Yankees were looking at him, but I don't know anybody else who was interested.

All (or the big three) remaining free agents have the dreaded draft slot attached so really they're New York's to haggle with. Boston was also linked to Drew to be more specific, with Bogaerts/Middlebrook sharing 3B. They still lose a pick though since they made the qualifying offer in the first place.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Bf4agRnCMAAXquV.jpg

Weirdest picture they could have taken of Heyward working out.

Friggz

he makes so much sense to sign with the yankees its not even funny.

Add in the fact that he and boras want an opt out after 1 year, and it makes even more sense.

Dodgers are closing in on a deal with Paul Maholm. He reportedly already has a locker with his name on it at their spring training complex.

Zep

Banned
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- With a shortened swing and newfound swagger following his most rigorous offseason of training yet that helped him pack on 15 pounds of muscle, Yoenis Cespedes wants to forget all the frustrations of last year.

"15lbs of muscle" has finally made its way to baseball.

Parch

Allegedly the Jays are in on both, and they have protected picks so that's not a concern for them. I just want them to hurry up and sign someone...that jump to 4th place and 75 wins won't happen by itself.
Love to see both. Better get one. That rotation needs more reliable innings.

is that Dee Gordon?!?

Also why don't the Dodgers just give Zach Lee the 5th spot in the rotation?
Yup. That's Dee. He'll be able to hit even harder grounders!

As for Zach I thought he would at least get a shot at battling for the 5th spot with Fife and Magill. There's also Beckett but I don't know what they're going to do with him coming off of his surgery.

The Dodgers and Paul Maholm have agreed on a 1-year, $1.5 million deal. Maholm can make up to $5 million in performance incentives.

Barring any future moves, the Dodgers projected rotation looks like this:

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Zack Greinke
3. Hyun-Jin Ryu
4. Dan Haren
5. Paul Maholm

Pryce

The Dodgers and Paul Maholm have agreed on a 1-year, $1.5 million deal. Maholm can make up to $5 million in performance incentives.

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Zack Greinke
3. Hyun-Jin Ryu
4. Dan Haren
5. Paul Maholm

No faith in Beckett or Bills.

Hopefully Lee is starting next season, and maybe Stripling. A rotation of Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu, Lee and Stripling is my dream.

3N16MA

Banned

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Zack Greinke
3. Hyun-Jin Ryu
4. Dan Haren
5. Paul Maholm

Still surprised by the move. Maholm is no star but he is a decent back of the rotation starter and that base salary actually makes him a bargain. I thought he would find more somewhere.

Friggz

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Zack Greinke
3. Hyun-Jin Ryu
4. Dan Haren
5. Paul Maholm

send billingsly to the yankees for austin romine.

Why the Braves could win their arbitration case against Craig Kimbrel and trade him mid-season

The last time the Atlanta Braves went to an arbitration hearing, it was with closer John Rocker before the 2001 season. The loud-mouthed, probably-bigoted, bad boy closer thought he deserved $2.98 million in 2001 for his 2.89 ERA and 24 saves in the 2000 season. The Braves thought he was worth $1.9 million. In the end, arbitrators Jack Clarke, Jerome Ross, and Elliot Shriftman agreed with the Braves and set Rocker's salary at $1.9 million for 2001.

The Braves traded Rocker, in the midst of a 3.08 ERA, 19-save campaign, to the Cleveland Indians mid-season on June 22, 2001 along with Troy Cameron for Steve Karsay and Steve Reed.

Unless a multiyear agreement can be reached sooner rather than later, the Braves look to be headed back to the arbitration room for the first time in 13 years, ironically with another closer: Craig Kimbrel.

Kimbrel and the Braves are much farther apart than Rocker's $1.08 million disparity. In his first year of arbitration and recognized as perhaps the best closer in baseball now that Mariano Rivera has retired, Kimbrel requested a whopping $9 million. The Braves countered with far less comparitively, suggesting a $6.5 million 2014 salary.

The Braves looked to be headed for hearings with Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman as well until they agreed on multiyear extensions with both. The Braves locked up Heyward for his remaining arbitration years with a 2-year, $13.3 million pact. The big one was Freeman, who received the richest contract in Braves history with an 8-year, $135 million deal.

Following the Jeff Francoeur episode in 2009, the Braves installed a team policy of ceasing arbitration talks with players once figures have been exchanged. They reached a deal with Francoeur just hours before both sides were to fly to Phoenix, AZ for a hearing. As with Rocker, Francoeur was traded mid-season (on July 10, 2009 to the Mets for Ryan Church).

GM Frank Wren recently clarified that they will continue talking to players as long as it's regarding multiyear extensions. Last year, the Braves had exchanged figures with Martin Prado, who was in his final year of arbitration before free agency, but continued discussing an extension with him until he was traded to the Diamondbacks in the blockbuster Justin Upton deal. The D-Backs immediately signed Prado to a 4-year, $40 million extension.

Yes, on the surface, Kimbrel may look like a slam dunk to win his case against the Braves and get paid $9 million in 2014. But there are a few facts on the Braves' side. He regressed in a few areas in 2013 compared to 2012. What arbitrators will have to decide is whether his regressed stats are still good enough to make $9 million in 2014. They might be. But let's look at some of the evidence the Braves may use.

Opposing batting average: In 2012, Kimbrel limited opponents to an amazing .122 average. In 2013, they hit slightly better, hitting .166.

Weighted on-base average (wOBA): In 2012, opponent's wOBA against Kimbrel was .170. In 2013, it increased to .222.

Strikeout-to-walk ratio: In 2012, for every batter Kimbrel walked, he struck out 8.29 batters in response. In 2013, this decreased almost in half, only striking out 4.9 hitters for every walk.

Zone%: In 2012, 52.9% of Kimbrel's pitches were in the strike zone. In 2013, this number slightly declined to 50.5%.

Swing-and-miss%: In 2012, 41.6% of Kimbrel's pitches missed the opposing batter's bat when it was swung. In 2013, hitters made better contact against Kimbrel, missing only 32.5% of his pitches.

Chase%: In 2012, 34.1% of Kimbrel's pitches outside the strike zone illicted a swing-and-a-miss. In 2013, this decreased to 30.7%, indicating that Kimbrel's slider may have lost a little deception and that hitters are seeing him better.

Called Strike%: In 2012, 40.9% of Kimbrel's pitches that were watched by opposing batters were called strikes. In 2013, this decreased to 34%, again indicating that he may have lost a little control and that hitters are seeing him better.

In-Play%: In 2012, only 21% of Kimbrel's pitches that opponents swung at were put in play. In 2013, this number rose to 28.7%, again indicating that batters are seeing him better.

These numbers do show evidence that Kimbrel's consistency is down and that batters are seeing his stuff better. However, his fastball velocity can't be used against him. The average velocity of his fastball stayed on par in 2013, going up to 96.9 from 96.8 in 2012.

It was silly to think that Kimbrel (or anyone) would be able to replicate his numbers from 2012; numbers that you'd think would only be possible in a video game. There is compelling evidence that 2013 Kimbrel was a little more hittable and wild than 2012 Kimbrel. But even with his "recessed" 2013 stats, Kimbrel still made his third-straight All-Star team, recorded a minute 1.23 ERA, 0.881 WHIP, and led all of MLB with 50 saves (tied with Jim Johnson). He finished 4th in the NL Cy Young voting and 11th in the NL MVP voting. His 2013 stats are still ridiculously good enough to peg him as the best closer in baseball.

Will a panel of arbitrators agree with that or agree with the Braves that he shouldn't be paid like his 2012 version because his 2013 version was a downgrade in some areas?

Perhaps the real question is, no matter what happens with his salary, will Kimbrel be wearing a different uniform on August 1 like Rocker and Francoeur before him?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
That article conveniently fails to mention that Francoeur was traded because he sucked ass.

And I fail to understand why everyone seems to think it's an obvious slam-dunk that Kimbrel will win his arbitration amount. His stats are absurd, but not enough to justify breaking the record for a relief pitcher in first-year arb by $3 million. Posey only got $8mm coming off of an MVP season. I just can't see the justification for a $9mm salary.

Zep

Banned
That article conveniently fails to mention that Francoeur was traded because he sucked ass.

And I fail to understand why everyone seems to think it's an obvious slam-dunk that Kimbrel will win his arbitration amount. His stats are absurd, but not enough to justify breaking the record for a relief pitcher in first-year arb by $3 million. Posey only got $8mm coming off of an MVP season. I just can't see the justification for a $9mm salary.

kiss of death.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...d-free-agent-shortstop-stephen-drew-1.7006240

The Mets and free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew have been linked throughout the winter -- and for good reason. While team officials have praised incumbent Ruben Tejada's offseason efforts to get into better shape, it wasn't all that long ago that the underachieving Tejada appeared to be on the outs.

So from the start, the Mets have appeared to be a natural landing spot for Drew.

On Sunday, however, a person with knowledge of the Mets' thinking said the sides haven't been doing much talking lately. Said the source: "Regarding Drew, there has not been much dialogue at all."

Of course, things often change quickly with free agents who remain unsigned as spring training looms. But the Mets have played down the chances of signing Drew.

General manager Sandy Alderson recently told MLB.com that the Mets are "unlikely" to sign him. Meanwhile, ESPN New York reported this past week that Drew is seeking an opt-out clause after the first year of any multiyear contract, an apparent deal-breaker for the Mets.

The Red Sox reportedly have shown some interest, but it's unclear to what degree they will pursue a reunion -- especially without a clear fit in the lineup for Drew, who earlier spurned their qualifying offer in favor of testing free agency.

What he apparently has found is that there is a lack of clearly defined suitors. But his agent, Scott Boras, has succeeded in landing deals for his clients late in the free-agent process. Just last offseason, Boras enticed the Mets to jump into the bidding for outfielder Michael Bourn, who eventually signed a multiyear deal with the Indians.

By that standard, plenty of time remains. Bourn did not sign until the second week of February last year. And Mets position players aren't scheduled to report until Feb. 17.

Drew hardly is alone among the more prominent unsigned free agents. Nelson Cruz, Ervin Santana, Ubaldo Jimenez and Kendrys Morales remain available.

Drew, 30, hit .253 with 13 homers in 124 games for the World Series champion Red Sox last season. Tejada, 24, hit .202 with no homers in 57 games for the Mets in a season wrecked by injuries and a demotion.

So the Mets waste no time with Grandy or with Young, but they're sweating out Drew?

I hate the Mets management. The Wilpons' gotta go!

edit: Who doesn't Scott Boras represent?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...d-free-agent-shortstop-stephen-drew-1.7006240

So the Mets waste no time with Grandy or with Young, but they're sweating out Drew?

I hate the Mets management. The Wilpons' gotta go!

edit: Who doesn't Scott Boras represent?
Because Drew isn't really that good?

Grandy and Young at least had years in the past they were damn good, and Hudgens is talking up Young as a guy he can work with. Drew had one great year and now is trying to cash in, plus BORAS.

Because Drew isn't really that good?

Grandy and Young at least had years in the past they were damn good, and Hudgens is talking up Young as a guy he can work with. Drew had one great year and now is trying to cash in, plus BORAS.

He's a better offensive replacement than Ruben Tejada, no? No stretch a better fielder, but the Mets struggled offensively with RISP, so Drew adds more firepower at SS that Tejada hasnt developed yet.

Ervin Santana is close to an agreement with a team. It's believed to be either the Orioles or the Blue Jays. It's also believed that the team who does not sign Santana will sign Ubaldo Jimenez.

aFIGurANT

He's a better offensive replacement than Ruben Tejada, no? No stretch a better fielder, but the Mets struggled offensively with RISP, so Drew adds more firepower at SS that Tejada hasnt developed yet.

Age + injuries + the fact that no Harvey = no real chance at anything good happening this season anyway. In a year or two when they want to be contending he'd be a husk of a SS most likely. That's my outsiders view of the situation.

Age + injuries + the fact that no Harvey = no real chance at anything good happening this season anyway. In a year or two when they want to be contending he'd be a husk of a SS most likely. That's my outsiders view of the situation.
He's not a difference-maker, so no real reason to break the bank here. Though the Mets pitching staff is alot more loaded than you think, they'll definitely complete for a WC spot this year.

Ervin Santana is close to an agreement with a team. It's believed to be either the Orioles or the Blue Jays. It's also believed that the team who does not sign Santana will sign Ubaldo Jimenez.

Ugh. Santana in the AL East, with Skydome as his home park, sounds like it'd be nightmarish. At least signing Jimenez there'd be some slight chance of an upside.

jakncoke

Banned
man i dont like reading rumors of morales being connected to the pirates. giving up a 1st for a player like morales is a dave littlefield move. dont pull the trigger neil

Top Bottom