• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

IMO it was the best move for him to be in KC. He looked way more comfortable out there

Yeah, I mean, he's kind of a contact pitcher anyway, so KC was a great place for him... Kaufman Stadium has deep walls, and the Royals have great outfield defense: Alex Gordon, Lo Cain and now Nori Aoki running down any and all pop ups. Plus, he seemed to really have a good chemistry with Sal Perez. I think a good part of why he had a standout season in 2013 is due to what a good fit the team was.

And in fact, Camden is kind of known as a hitter friendly park, especially to right handed power hitters. As a righty who pitches to contact a lot, I don't think that's going to be a great place for him to pitch half his games. I'm not guaranteeing he'll get chewed up out there, but it'll definitely be tougher conditions.

He would be a lot smarter to take just another year or two in KC, have another good couple of seasons if possible and boost his numbers some more, and THEN hit the market hard.

Overlee

Josh Becket reported to camp "in the best shape of his life"

021014js003.jpg

This is gonna be our year!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Aight Giants Gaf where you at

Preparing for average mediocrity, hoping for another "everything comes together somehow" title run and the miss playoffs/WS title/miss playoffs/WS title/miss playoffs pattern continues.

On a different note, lol:

oPoQjyS.jpg

These need updates with every odd combination of MLB players.

jakncoke

Banned
Decided to look at our baseball america top 10 prospects of 5 years ago and see what they are doing.

1) Pedro Alvarez - finally hitting hrs, cannon arm. going to strike out 180 times a year sadly

2) Andrew McCutchen - going to be sad when we trade him before his next big contract

3) Jose Tabata - funny how high i was on him at one point, then he seemed to get lazy and now even though it seemed like he started caring again he'll be pushed out of the roster.

4) Brad Lincoln - from 4th pick to being traded straight up for Travis Snider lol

5) Bryan Morris - ok reliever now

6) Neil Walker - pretty good 2b

7) Jeff Sues - never really made it past AA

8) Shelby Ford - made it Indy for little bit, majority of time in AA. now playing for independents

9) Daniel McCutchen - had 1 decent reliever season had his heart ripped out in the game fuck you Jerry Meals

10) Robbie Grossman - might be decent but we have a overload of OF so became expendable , he did help land Wandy so thats good.

I guess I really love the starting rotation. you have Niese, Colon, Wheeler, Gee and im hoping Mejia makes it. If Mejia pitches like he did last year while in the majors, this dude is not a number 5 starter. his stuff is only second to Wheeler I remember Keith Law saying. if he can stay healthy, by July, we will then have the option to bring up Syndergod or Montero. Offense is the big question mark to me. SS is a hole, Davis has been shit last two years. Young and Granderson need to bounce back. D'Arnaud needs to hit his stride in the majors. and the bullpen lacks that veteran presence. the team is on the right path though. 2015 should be a good one.

Talon

I guess I really love the starting rotation. you have Niese, Colon, Wheeler, Gee and im hoping Mejia makes it. If Mejia pitches like he did last year while in the majors, this dude is not a number 5 starter. his stuff is only second to Wheeler I remember Keith Law saying. if he can stay healthy, by July, we will then have the option to bring up Syndergod or Montero. Offense is the big question mark to me. SS is a hole, Davis has been shit last two years. Young and Granderson need to bounce back. D'Arnaud needs to hit his stride in the majors. and the bullpen lacks that veteran presence. the team is on the right path though. 2015 should be a good one.
Those look like a whole lot of ?s.

Preparing for average mediocrity, hoping for another "everything comes together somehow" title run and the miss playoffs/WS title/miss playoffs/WS title/miss playoffs pattern continues.

On a different note, lol:

oPoQjyS.jpg

These need updates with every odd combination of MLB players.

Haha, somebody should make a spoof with a pill bottle in the middle.

cashman

Banned
Decided to look at our baseball america top 10 prospects of 5 years ago and see what they are doing.

Hmmm, I'm gonna do this for the Rangers

1. Elvis Andruz, ss Franchise shortstop and putting up 3-4 WAR consistently

2. Chris Davis, 3b Had a breakout year for the Orioles. Will never cut his Ks down though.

3. Eric Hurley, rhp Torn Labrum killed his career

4. Taylor Teagarden, c Solid Back up catcher

5. Neftali Feliz, rhp Baller. Comes back next year over a year removed from TJ surgery. He'll be the closer again

6. Michael Main, rhp Injuries derailed him and now I think he's an outfielder. Was super hyped at one point.

7. Kasey Kiker, lhp SEVERE Control issues never let him get passed AA

8. Blake Beavan, rhp Never got his high school velocity back. Now a mediocre starter for the mariners

9. Julio Borbon, of Should probably be a fifth outfielder for somebody

10. Engel Beltre, of Probably the Rangers fifth outfielder

Talon

1. Tommy Hanson, rhp - Minor league deal with the Rangers. Dat arm snap.
2. Jason Heyward, of - Came off his best stretch hitting prior to getting whacked in the face.
3. Jordan Schafer, of - Useful bench bat, 4th/5th outfielder
4. Gorkys Hernandez, of - Useless bench bat for the Marlins
5. Freddie Freeman, 1b - Best hitter on the team
6. Cole Rohrbough, lhp - Injuries tanked his career. He's coaching somewhere.
7. Jeff Locke, lhp - Rotation guy with the Pirates
8. Julio Teheran, rhp - Coming off an up and down season but still 3 WAR, future looks good
9. Kris Medlen, rhp - He's a keeper
10. Craig Kimbrel, rhp - Best closer in the league

Bolded are on the major league team.

Parch

Ervin Santana is close to an agreement with a team. It's believed to be either the Orioles or the Blue Jays. It's also believed that the team who does not sign Santana will sign Ubaldo Jimenez.
I get the feeling the Blue Jays are close to the desperation stage and will grossly overpay one of these guys.

Talon

Oh, wait, that was '08. This is '09, and it's pretty impressive.

1. Jason Heyward, of
2. Freddie Freeman, 1b
3. Julio Teheran, rhp
4. Mike Minor, lhp
5. Craig Kimbrel, rhp
6. Christian Bethancourt, c
7. Randall Delgado, rhp
8. Zeke Spruill, rhp
9. Cody Johnson, of - This dude struck out 47% of the time in AA one season. Holy shit. Frenchie jelly.
10. Adam Milligan, of

Check out that top 7.

jakncoke

Banned
Oh, wait, that was '08. This is '09, and it's pretty impressive.

1. Jason Heyward, of
2. Freddie Freeman, 1b
3. Julio Teheran, rhp
4. Mike Minor, lhp
5. Craig Kimbrel, rhp
6. Christian Bethancourt, c
7. Randall Delgado, rhp
8. Zeke Spruill, rhp
9. Cody Johnson, of - This dude struck out 47% of the time in AA one season. Holy shit. Frenchie jelly.
10. Adam Milligan, of

Check out that top 7.

wow that cody johnson has racked up 1034 career strikeouts in the minors, thats gotta be close to being some sort of career minors record or something.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giants top 10 from 09:

1. Madison Bumgarner, lhp
2. Buster Posey, c

3. Angel Villalona, 1b
4. Tim Alderson, rhp
5. Nick Noonan, 2b
6. Ehire Adrianza, ss
7. Conor Gillaspie, 3b
8. Rafael Rodriguez, of
9. Scott Barnes, lhp
10. Sergio Romo, rhp

Only 4 really made it as regular big leaguers on the Giants (and Gillaspie's at Chicago), but it also directly led to 2 WS titles so whatever!

Top Bottom