• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

bigosc2k

Banned
Aight Giants Gaf where you at

Shield-Wyatt.gif
Still here
So are the giants the Wyatt family or the shield?

Zep

Banned
http://zozone.mlblogs.com/2014/02/11/moyer-stairs-in-comcast-booth-in-2014/
Phillies just went from one of the worst broadcasting teams to what I hope will be one of the best. Jamie Moyer and Matt Fucking Stairs? Should hopefully make watching a 70 win season a little more enjoyable.

Gelb said:
Moyer and Stairs will each do 100 games, 30 of which will be together in a three-man booth with Tom McCarthy.

Whatever. It'll be interesting, especially with Stairs.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Roy Oswalt is retiring and going to work with his agent.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/433289284570066945

I miss RoyO. Shame he was never the same after his injuries.

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

MLB sources: Nolan Ryan has agreed to join the Astros organization as an advisor to owner Jim Crane, GM Jeff Luhnow and team Pres. Reid Ryan

neat.

@MarkBermanFox26 37m

Roy Oswalt & Lance Berkman to sign one-day deals & retire as Astros. Roy: "It's great to retire with a friend like that." The date still TBA

Aww. <3

Talon

Oh, fuck, now you just reminded me that I have to listen to Chip Caray and Joe "what the fuck is math?" Simpson in about 2 months.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I thought he had a drawl. Maybe I'm confusing him with Oswalt. First time I heard Oswalt talk, I thought he was doing a Boomhauer impression.

He is from Pennsylvania I think...

He was a great interview in Seattle at least

1. Colby Rasmus, of - solid CFer for the Blue Jays, brought back a meaningful trade package leading to a WS title
2. Brett Wallace, 3b - bounced around the league and got DFA'd recently but brought back Matt fucking Holliday in a trade
3. Chris Perez, rhp - reasonably okay reliever for a few years before imploding in Cleveland, traded for Mark DeRosa (who unfortunately got hurt shortly after)
4. Jess Todd, rhp - also in the DeRosa trade but even less successful in the majors than Perez
in 2009, Jess Todd was the projected #2 starter for 2012 lol
5. Bryan Anderson, c - bust but still bouncing around the minors
6. Clayton Mortensen, rhp - part of the Holliday trade package, apparently pitched (poorly) for the Red Sox in 2013
7. Daryl Jones, of - total bust that's out of baseball
8. Jason Motte, rhp - good reliever for a few years and hopefully solid for a few more if he rebounds from TJS
9. David Freese, 3b - great in Oct 2011 and pretty solid in 2012; highlighted a trade package for Peter Bourjos
10. Pete Kozma, ss - no bat, some glove SS as expected but at least provides some meaningful value to the major league team

6 traded away, 2 busts, and 2 still with the organization

I think the Cards' farm was rated 29th or something back in 2009 so at least we got some value out of most of these guys. The DeRosa trade was a minor loss since DeRosa got hurt so soon after coming over but it's not like the Cards were hurting for righthanded relievers in the past 5 years. Can't complain too much about the Holliday/Rasmus trades lol.

man vas is banned again, that motherfucker cant stay unbanned.

and eznark got banned too. MLB GAF please stay safe out there.

At least Chip doesn't say "Fisted" anymore?

he probably has another fetish now.

edit: top ten prospects for the Yankees in 2009
1) Jesus Montero-traded,
2) Austin Jackson, traded
3) Dellin Betances
4) Austin Romine
5) Zach McAllister
6) Mark Melancon
7) Jairo Heredia
8) Andrew Brackman,
9) Phil Coke
10) Alfredo Aceves

you know what, someone else from the council take a crack at this. there's the list.

1. Gordon Beckham, ss Great rookie year, underwhelming since then. Non tender candidate at the end of the year

2. Aaron Poreda, lhp Got us Peavy but out of baseball right now

3. Clayton Richard, lhp Your prototypical 5th starter, also part of the Peavy deal

4. Brandon Allen, 1b Traded for Tony Pena(who's out of baseball btw.) and can't recall anything noteworthy outside of a mammoth blast at Yankee Stadium

5. Jordan Danks, of Fringy 4th outfielder

6. Chris Getz, 2b Definition of a replacement level player

7. John Shelby, of Out of baseball

8. John Ely, rhp Traded for Juan Pierre(lol). Had some good starts with the Dodgers in 2010, then remembered he was John Ely.

9. Cole Armstrong, c who?

10. Eduardo Escobar, ss Got us Liriano. Your run of the mill utility guy.

At least our farm has improved quite a bit since then.

Malo

Banned
and eznark got banned too. MLB GAF please stay safe out there.

he probably has another fetish now.

edit: top ten prospects for the Yankees in 2009
1) Jesus Montero-traded for pineda which so far has been a lose-lose trade for both teams

2) Austin Jackson, traded - Got us in impact bat in Granderson who hit 40+ hrs for us in 2011 and 2012

3) Dellin Betances - Still in the system and has been turned into a reliever. The results were good in the minors, he has a chance to make the bp out of spring training

4) Austin Romine - Hasn't lived up to the hype and has battled a couple of injuries, is probably just a back-up catcher at this point

5) Zach McAllister - Was traded to the indians for Austin Kearns, has turned into serviceable starter for them

6) Mark Melancon - Traded for Lance Berkman in 2010, had a great season with the pirates in 2013

7) Jairo Heredia - Has been constantly injured and is still in the minors

8) Andrew Brackman - Probably the biggest yankee draft bust in the last ten years

9) Phil Coke - Semi useful reliever in our 2009 world series run, was apart of the granderson trade

10) Alfredo Aceves - Useful spot starter and reliever during his time with us before he got injured

5 traded 1 dfa'd 1 released 3 still in the minors

you know what, someone else from the council take a crack at this. there's the list.
There you go friend.

Here is the Phillies list from 2009

1. Dominic Brown, of Looking like he will be a really good player.
2. Carlos Carrasco, rhp Traded for Cliff Lee, below average pitcher for the Indians.
3. Lou Marson, c Traded for Cliff Lee, below average player.
4. Jason Donald, ss Traded for Cliff Lee average player.
5. Kyle Drabek, rhp Traded for Doc, disappointing player.
6. Michael Taylor, of Traded for Doc, total zero as a player
7. Travis D'Arnaud, c Traded for Doc, looks like he will be a star.
8. Zach Collier, of Still with the Phillies never made it above AA.
9. J.A. Happ, lhp Traded for Roy Oswalt, average player.
10. Jason Knapp, rhp Retired in 2010 never did anything in baseball.

Man the Phillies turned these bums into Lee, Doc, and Oswalt. Amazing.

rando14

Someone do the Mariners so I can cry

Cause I love ya Ninja

1. Greg Halman, of - Deceased, killed by his brother. A tragedy in all aspects.
2. Michael Saunders, of - Still pretty young, good fielder, below average batter thus far
3. Phillipe Aumont, rhp - Traded to the phillies for cliff lee, briefly saw the pros in 2012
4. Carlos Triunfel, ss/2b - Still flirting between AAA/Majors, has a solid glove and an incredible arm, below average bat in the majors so far
5. Juan Ramirez, rhp - I'm assuming they mean JC Ramirez? Traded with Aumont to the Phillies
6. Adam Moore, c - Played for us a couple years. Poor hitter, multiple injuries.
7. Mario Martinez, 3b - Some success in short-A, otherwise not much else
8. Jharmidy DeJesus, 3b - Minimal success in the minors as well
9. Dennis Raben, of - Decent success in the minors, I cant remember if he ever made the majors or not
10. Michael Pineda, rhp - lololololol

Neither, since we actually won multiple world titles within the past few years. Last time Dodgers had the championship, Randy Savage was the belt holder.
I only count one title for you guys. Melky won you the other one. Where's his ring?

We ready for this season. Too bad gonna be hard to get good tickets at a decent price.

Mets 2009 list

1. Fernando Martinez, of - dude was suppose to rake, but injuries have been his demise.
2. Wilmer Flores, ss- dude is still in the list in 2014, only 22 years old
3. Jonathon Niese, lhp- solid starter, good number 3
4. Brad Holt, rhp - 2008 first rounder, released in 2013 for injuries and lack of progression
5. Bobby Parnell, rhp- our closer right now, hoping that neck is well
6. Jefry Marte, 3b- traded to As for Colin Cowgill
7. Jenrry Mejia, rhp- not on any list anymore, but looked great for a month last year, most likely the 5th starter this year. only 24
8. Reese Havens, ss- dude was suppose to be the future first baseman, but injuries did him in. retired a few months ago, now caiching HS baseball.
9. Nick Evans, 1b/of- was a ok bench player for the Mets, has jumped around since then
10. Eddie Kunz, rhp- struggled in the minors, now in the Padres system

Cause I love ya Ninja

1. Greg Halman, of - Deceased, killed by his brother. A tragedy in all aspects.
2. Michael Saunders, of - Still pretty young, good fielder, below average batter thus far
3. Phillipe Aumont, rhp - Traded to the phillies for cliff lee, briefly saw the pros in 2012
4. Carlos Triunfel, ss/2b - Still flirting between AAA/Majors, has a solid glove and an incredible arm, below average bat in the majors so far
5. Juan Ramirez, rhp - I'm assuming they mean JC Ramirez? Traded with Aumont to the Phillies
6. Adam Moore, c - Played for us a couple years. Poor hitter, multiple injuries.
7. Mario Martinez, 3b - Some success in short-A, otherwise not much else
8. Jharmidy DeJesus, 3b - Minimal success in the minors as well
9. Dennis Raben, of - Decent success in the minors, I cant remember if he ever made the majors or not
10. Michael Pineda, rhp - lololololol

Oh wow it's worse than I thought.

Mets 2009 list

1. Fernando Martinez, of - dude was suppose to rake, but injuries have been his demise.
2. Wilmer Flores, ss- dude is still in the list in 2014, only 22 years old
3. Jonathon Niese, lhp- solid starter, good number 3
4. Brad Holt, rhp - 2008 first rounder, released in 2013 for injuries and lack of progression
5. Bobby Parnell, rhp- our closer right now, hoping that neck is well
6. Jefry Marte, 3b- traded to As for Colin Cowgill
7. Jenrry Mejia, rhp- not on any list anymore, but looked great for a month last year, most likely the 5th starter this year. only 24
8. Reese Havens, ss- dude was suppose to be the future first baseman, but injuries did him in. retired a few months ago, now caiching HS baseball.
9. Nick Evans, 1b/of- was a ok bench player for the Mets, has jumped around since then
10. Eddie Kunz, rhp- struggled in the minors, now in the Padres system
Slight correction, Havens was the 2B of the future. Also to this day I think Kunz never got a fair shot due to the Mets' stubborness in fasttracking relievers in the minors.

Also Parnell sucks. I am so effing tired of his ass, and anyone who knows me from my early days on MLB-GAF knows that for me to give up on a Met player it takes almost an act of God.

Jose Valverde has signed a minor league deal with the Mets with an invite to Spring Training. So Farnsworth and Papa Grande are the two veterans fighting for a spot in the bullpen. So far anyways,

dmag1223

Reds 2009 list:

1. Yonder Alonso - Traded to San Diego in the Mat Latos deal. Putting up very mediocre statistics currently
2. Todd Frazier - Starting 3B currently. Decent player, putting up about league average numbers
3. Drew Stubbs - Started in center field for a few years. was traded to Cleveland in the Choo deal. All glove no bat.
4. Chris Valaika - Never anything more than a utility man. Played a bit with the marlins lat year.
5. Yorman Rodriguez - Only in AA. Still only 21 years old, but has never posted impressive numbers
6. Kyle Lotzkar - Struggled big time with arm injuries. Is currently trying to be converted to a reliever.
7. Neftali Soto - Got a cup of coffee last year at the majors, but is most likely a bench player at best.
8. Juan Francisco - Had Increadible power, but zero plate discipline. Was traded to Atlanta for JJ Hoover.
9. Juan Duran - Will most likely start out at AA this year. Has flashed potential, but has yet to put it all together.
10. Devin Mesoraco - Played behind Ryan Hanigan the past couple years, but is expected to start this year. Mediocre stats so far, but a limited sample.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
New 30 for 30 short about the potential ARod to Boston trade in 2003

http://grantland.com/features/30-for-30-shorts-the-deal/
Reminds me when the braves almost got him back when he was a FA after the 2000 season.
Braves seem to have inside track on A-Rod

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Braves jumped into the Alex Rodriguez Sweepstakes on Thursday by meeting with the superstar shortstop and his agent, Scott Boras.

Team president Stan Kasten, general manager John Schuerholz and manager Bobby Cox sat down with Rodriguez and Boras and discussed playing for the Braves.

"I honestly believe money is not an issue with him," a source close to Rodriguez said. "I don't think A-Rod is the type of person who would go to the highest bidder if he's not playing for a winner and he's not happy."

Rodriguez, who is seeking a long-term deal averaging $20-$25 million a year, said last week he won't necessarily go to the highest bidder. The Braves are thought to be willing to offer him a deal averaging $20 million per season, $5 million more than Chipper Jones' salary, but won't go any higher.

"What I'm focusing on is a team with a good chance to win, the players, the city, things like that," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons. "I'm not a selfish player. I want to be one player on a good team that has a chance to win a ring.

"When I sign, people will see that there are no big side deals, and they may find out that I took a little less to play for the team I want to play with."

"Uh oh," a baseball executive said to Gammons when informed of Rodriguez's comment. "That sounds a lot like Atlanta."

It may well turn out to be the Braves. Rodriguez would be within a two-hour plane flight of his Miami home, part of his marketing is handled by an Atlanta company, and he would gain tremendous national exposure on TBS.

All those demands Rodriguez supposedly made to the Mets, including a private jet and billboards throughout the city? Nothing but a figment of Mets general manager Steve Phillips' mind, according to Rodriguez.

"If I'm making $18 million or $23 million or whatever I turn out to get, I can buy anything I want," he told Gammons. "It would be ridiculous to ask for some of the things that I've supposedly been demanding."
"I honestly believe money is not an issue with him," a source close to Rodriguez said. "I don't think A-Rod is the type of person who would go to the highest bidder if he's not playing for a winner and he's not happy." lol

Man reading these prospect lists is crazy. What have like 1/10th actually turned out to be good players 5 years later. The message is clearly trade all the prospects for established major leaguers.

Zep

Banned
Man reading these prospect lists is crazy. What have like 1/10th actually turned out to be good players 5 years later. The message is clearly trade all the prospects for established major leaguers.

Sunday, August 19, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the National League's MVP for 2006 ... Ryan Howard of your Pittsburgh Pirates!

Has a tantalizing ring, no?

Just imagine how the franchise's fortunes might have been changed by having such a star, from attendance to TV ratings to ... gasp ... success in the standings.

It almost happened.

Various versions of the story have circulated how Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield spoke with his Philadelphia counterpart, Ed Wade, about possible trades involving Howard. None can be conclusive, of course, as even the parties involved can have their own reasons for twisting such tales.

But here is one version cobbled together from three sources, all of whom agreed on the major elements and one of whom was directly involved on the Pirates' side ...

First, to clear a popular misconception: The Pirates never turned down a deal of Howard for Kip Wells. Although the Phillies liked Wells and inquired about him, those talks did not involve Howard.

Rather, it was the summer of 2004, and the Phillies were interested in Kris Benson. And yes, they offered Howard, who opened that season with Class AA Reading.

The Pirates rejected it.

Was it because Benson was deemed too high a price?

No, the sources said. It was because the Pirates already had a similar prospect in Brad Eldred.

At the time, such an evaluation was not preposterous: Each was 24, each was a first baseman and each had extraordinary power. Howard was in the process of hitting 46 home runs between Class AA Reading and Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Eldred was hitting 38 home runs between Class A Lynchburg and Class AA Altoona. Each had a batting average in the .290s.

Part of the Pirates' thinking was that, after extensive scouting of Howard, they detected a hole in his swing -- under his fists -- and wondered if it could be addressed.

Suffice it to say it has.

One of the key differences between the two at the time, some say, was that Howard had a fairly simple swing while Eldred's had all kinds of mechanical issues in which everything had to be just right to click. That made Eldred the greater unknown.

Another was that, although their strikeout-to-walk ratios were similar early in their minor-league careers, Howard kept improving in that regard while Eldred regressed. Almost all power-hitters will strike out a ton, but it is pitch recognition that separates those who hit home runs in the minors and those who do it at the elite level.

When Howard won MVP honors last season, he had 181 strikeouts but also 108 walks, most at any point in his professional career. This year, he has 142 strikeouts and 77 walks.

Eldred, batting .215 for Class AAA Indianapolis, has 76 strikeouts and 17 walks.

The punch line: The Pirates traded Benson that summer to the New York Mets, along with Jeff Keppinger, for Jose Bautista and Ty Wigginton. Bautista was brought back after being given away in the Rule 5 draft debacle a year earlier. The Pirates released Wigginton in late 2005. Wigginton and Keppinger are now everyday players for other teams.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I only count one title for you guys. Melky won you the other one. Where's his ring?

We ready for this season. Too bad gonna be hard to get good tickets at a decent price.

Melky did get a ring, and you had 49 games where he didn't play to make up the difference and you still ended the season 8 games back! Could've snuck in the wild card as well, but if you did we wouldn't have had the hilarity of Infield-Fly-Rule-Gate.

aFIGurANT

That or sign free agents. Brian Kenney had a segment on his MLBN show that basically stated the fact that only 19% of first-round draft picks pan out to be even replacement level. He was getting at the fact that draft pick compensation shouldn't be a deterrent and that front office's always think they are going to draft the next Andrew McCutchen when in reality it's a 1/5 shot that you'll do so.

Thank god the Pirates FO is dumber then the Phillies was in 2006. The moral of that story though isnt to not trade proscepts, it is to make sure the guy you are trading them for is actually good.

Top Bottom