• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Sanjuro

Man reading these prospect lists is crazy. What have like 1/10th actually turned out to be good players 5 years later. The message is clearly trade all the prospects for established major leaguers.

That's why I'll never understand people slobbering over prospects. I love watching minor leaguers play, but there is a fair number of fans which see said performances and automatically assume it'll translate to MLB production.

That's why I'll never understand people slobbering over prospects. I love watching minor leaguers play, but there is a fair number of fans which see said performances and automatically assume it'll translate to MLB production.

When the Phils traded for Tommy Joesph there were a ton of local reporters saying that now they wont have to resign Ruiz, and they can use his money elsewhere. It is really odd how much people fall in love with AA production.

Talon

That or sign free agents. Brian Kenney had a segment on his MLBN show that basically stated the fact that only 19% of first-round draft picks pan out to be even replacement level. He was getting at the fact that draft pick compensation shouldn't be a deterrent and that front office's always think they are going to draft the next Andrew McCutchen when in reality it's a 1/5 shot that you'll do so.
The difference is having a controlled contract with a home grown prospect gives you IMMENSE value in terms $->production.

JABEE

Is it definitely done? 94.1 in Philly just said it was close. $16m for 1 year they are saying that the numbers will be. Solid signing if true. Him at 3 pushes KK down to 4 which is a better spot for him.

Sounds good. I hope Miguel Gonzales will fit in there somewhere.

Also, it sucks that Cole is going to miss opening day. Tendinitis will be a theme of this season with all of these old players.

aFIGurANT

The difference is having a controlled contract with a home grown prospect gives you IMMENSE value in terms $->production.

Yeah that's definitely true. But if you're a team in contention that has a lower pick then it might be worth the gamble. Baseball drafts are so deep that giving up that first-rounder isn't an instant death sentence to that year's class.

jakncoke

Banned
1 yr 16 ? yeah Pirates never were going to pay that.

lol

Shockingly, It seems Brad Eldred is still in baseball actually lol, over in Japan. He sure knew how to mash the ball in the minors though. in 2004 between A+ and AA he had a 38 - 137 season .301 average and .983 ops

@yankeee Dave Littlefield might have been one of the dumbest GMs ever, add on the fact that Kevin McClatchey refused to spend a dime. Yeah shit was bad

Melky did get a ring, and you had 49 games where he didn't play to make up the difference and you still ended the season 8 games back! Could've snuck in the wild card as well, but if you did we wouldn't have had the hilarity of Infield-Fly-Rule-Gate.
Thanks for the info. I was just curious if Melky ever did.

On another note still undecided to keep CarGo or Goldie.

Decisions, Decisions,Decisions

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
When the Phils traded for Tommy Joesph there were a ton of local reporters saying that now they wont have to resign Ruiz, and they can use his money elsewhere. It is really odd how much people fall in love with AA production.
Doesn't Joseph have a severe concussion?

Doesn't Joseph have a severe concussion?

Yeah they shut him down last year due to the fact that the symptoms kept lingering. He still wasnt going to take over for Ruiz even before the injury. I only played like 15 games, so maybe he could have turned it around but he has been a disappointment in the minors since the Phils got him.

Man reading these prospect lists is crazy. What have like 1/10th actually turned out to be good players 5 years later. The message is clearly trade all the prospects for established major leaguers.
Aside from the IMMENSE value/production you get if you hit on a really good prospect as Talon said, you also have to consider the prospects that were never rated highly on these lists and still broke out to be useful major leaguers or better.

wow respect Jeter a whole lot. dude was a class act. Yanks gonna be making that cash money next year, get some more seats filled in the road i suspect

Malo

Banned
Farewell my captain. It's been a helluva career.

Now I have to make my way to fenway for his last game and have a beer with Sanjuro.

Cause I love ya Ninja

1. Greg Halman, of - Deceased, killed by his brother. A tragedy in all aspects.
2. Michael Saunders, of - Still pretty young, good fielder, below average batter thus far
3. Phillipe Aumont, rhp - Traded to the phillies for cliff lee, briefly saw the pros in 2012
4. Carlos Triunfel, ss/2b - Still flirting between AAA/Majors, has a solid glove and an incredible arm, below average bat in the majors so far
5. Juan Ramirez, rhp - I'm assuming they mean JC Ramirez? Traded with Aumont to the Phillies
6. Adam Moore, c - Played for us a couple years. Poor hitter, multiple injuries.
7. Mario Martinez, 3b - Some success in short-A, otherwise not much else
8. Jharmidy DeJesus, 3b - Minimal success in the minors as well
9. Dennis Raben, of - Decent success in the minors, I cant remember if he ever made the majors or not
10. Michael Pineda, rhp - lololololol

http://www.examiner.com/article/kansas-city-royals-sign-lincoln-slugger-dennis-raben

Jeter's last season?

God, I hope he can play well and be healthy all season.

People love to hate him, but you gotta give the man his respect - he's been an integral part of a team that won 5 WS, 7 pennants, countless division titles, and 1k+ wins in his career.

He also managed to not be too much of a scumbag or a newspaper distraction while doing so.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2011/2/14/1992424/success-and-failure-rates-of-top-mlb-prospects

About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail.
Position player prospects succeed much more often than pitching prospects.
About 60% of position players ranked in Baseball America’s top 20 succeed in the majors.
About 40% of pitchers ranked in the top 20 succeed in the majors.
About 30% of position players ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 36% to about 25%)
About 20% of pitchers ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 22% to about 15%)
The success rate of prospects (both position player and pitchers) is nearly flat and relatively undifferentiated for players ranked 41-100, and especially those ranked 61-100.
Corner infield prospects and catchers are the most likely to succeed in the majors, but outfielders, third basemen and shortstops are the most likely to become stars. Second basemen and pitchers are the least likely prospects to succeed in the majors or to become stars.
Prospect success rates have not improved much over time and there is little data to support the contention that prospects are more likely to succeed now than they have in the past.

Post is from 2011, but the basic idea hasn't likely changed much the last couple of years.

Edit: I found this from last year: http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2013/12/death-to-tinstaapp-updating-mckinneys.html

http://www.royalsreview.com/2011/2/14/1992424/success-and-failure-rates-of-top-mlb-prospects

About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail.
Position player prospects succeed much more often than pitching prospects.
About 60% of position players ranked in Baseball America’s top 20 succeed in the majors.
About 40% of pitchers ranked in the top 20 succeed in the majors.
About 30% of position players ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 36% to about 25%)
About 20% of pitchers ranked 21-100 succeed in the majors (with the success rate declining over that ranking range from about 22% to about 15%)
The success rate of prospects (both position player and pitchers) is nearly flat and relatively undifferentiated for players ranked 41-100, and especially those ranked 61-100.
Corner infield prospects and catchers are the most likely to succeed in the majors, but outfielders, third basemen and shortstops are the most likely to become stars. Second basemen and pitchers are the least likely prospects to succeed in the majors or to become stars.
Prospect success rates have not improved much over time and there is little data to support the contention that prospects are more likely to succeed now than they have in the past.

Post is from 2011, but the basic idea hasn't likely changed much the last couple of years.

Edit: I found this from last year: http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2013/12/death-to-tinstaapp-updating-mckinneys.html

So hold onto top 20 prospects if they are position players but trade them if they are pitchers.

So hold onto top 20 prospects if they are position players but trade them if they are pitchers.

Pretty much. Its better to acquire pitching through free agency (or established pitchers in trades) than it is to try and develop your own. Position players you should try to develop internally.

Of course if everyone did this, then there'd be no pitchers.

3N16MA

Banned
No one from the 96-00 dynasty will be left after this season other than Joe in the dugout. I was hoping A-Rod would announce his retirement.

Great career for the captain.

No one from the 96-00 dynasty will be left after this season other than Joe in the dugout. I was hoping A-Rod would announce his retirement.

Great career for the captain.

No way A-Rod will retire. The Yankees still owe him $61 million from 2015-2017. They'll owe him another $6 million when he reaches 660 home runs. He's currently at 654.

Even with the suspension, he will still be paid for 21 service days in the 2014 season, which is still $2.877 million he'll make this year for not even reporting to spring training.

Top Bottom