• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

jakncoke

Banned
No way A-Rod will retire. The Yankees still owe him $61 million from 2015-2017. They'll owe him another $6 million when he reaches 660 home runs. He's currently at 654.

Even with the suspension, he will still be paid for 21 service days in the 2014 season, which is still $2.877 million he'll make this year for not even reporting to spring training.

lol what a contract

rando14

No way A-Rod will retire. The Yankees still owe him $61 million from 2015-2017. They'll owe him another $6 million when he reaches 660 home runs. He's currently at 654.

Even with the suspension, he will still be paid for 21 service days in the 2014 season, which is still $2.877 million he'll make this year for not even reporting to spring training.

lol just beautiful

3N16MA

Banned

I'm pretty aware of that. That is why I said I was hoping not that I expect it as I know A-Rod will stick around to collect his cash.

thefro

BgSsIWDCUAAG7SS.jpg:large
BgSd3JWIUAAJAIP.jpg:large

BgSjHlECUAAMKo-.jpg:large

The Cubs just had a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new Cubs Park in Mesa, AZ

Malo

Banned

Yankees are going to eat the remaining money and let him go after the suspension.

Jeter had a damn fine career. Always fun to watch play. I look forward to the Brewers sweeping the Yankees this season while retiring his number or some shit.

Macattk15

Well. Bad news for Mariners already starting.

Iwakuma sprained a tendon in his hand during the offseason and I guess didn't feel like telling anyone. Will most likely miss all of Spring Training.

Oh and in other news ... Jesus Montero showed up to camp looking like an overweight piece of shit.

Not sure if I agree with Ethier. He's been worth his contract so far.
I think it's on there mostly due to injury risk and because there isn't a whole lot of surplus value in the contract to begin with. Eyeballing that contract, he has to stay healthy and avoid a significant decline (in years 32-36) for his contract to be worth market value. Not much upside with a fair amount of potential downside.

jakncoke

Banned
oh hiroshima has bryan bullington as well, they sure love failed Pirates prospects

Also top 5 in 2002 has to have some the worst production

1 - Bryan Bullington .2 bwar in japan now
2 - BJ Upton
3 - Chris Gruler never went above A
4 - Adam Loeman .5 bwar hasnt had a ml stat since 2008
5 - Chris Everts hasnt made ml debut yet bouncing around minors still

Not sure if I agree with Ethier. He's been worth his contract so far.

Last year he made $13.5 million (first year of the deal) and was worth $14.7 million, that's not too bad BUT if you assume standard aging and WAR loss he's gonna lose like .5 WAR per year at this point. So you're looking at

2013 2.9 $13.5m
2014 2.4 $15.5m
2015 1.9 $18m
2016 1.4 $16m
2017 .9 $17m
2018 .4 $17.5m (team option, $2.5m buyout)
Total: 82.5m (I'm assuming he gets bought out for 2018)

The cost per WAR of a RFer from 2007 to 2011 was about $5.7m (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/positional-differences-in-the-price-of-war-2/)

So if you use that as a reference point he's roughly going to be worth the following the next few years:

2013 $14.7m
2014 $13.68m
2015 $10.83m
2016 $7.98m
2017 $5.13m
2018 $0m ($2.18m but I'm assuming he gets bought out)

Total: $52.32m

Difference: $82.5m - 52.32 = 30.18m of lost money.

Inflation will offset some of this but I mean its still an awful contract.

rando14

Well. Bad news for Mariners already starting.

Iwakuma sprained a tendon in his hand during the offseason and I guess didn't feel like telling anyone. Will most likely miss all of Spring Training.

Oh and in other news ... Jesus Montero showed up to camp looking like an overweight piece of shit.

gDRyIzq.gif

rando14

“I gained a lot of weight in my country,” he admitted. “So, now, I'm on a program to lose weight. I'm working really hard to get my weight back. I wasn't doing nothing (after finishing winter ball), just eating.”

Montero is Ken Griffey, III confirmed!!

Top Bottom