• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

3N16MA

Banned
I think it was Cashman's way to lower the pressure surrounding Tanaka. He will most likely be 3rd in the rotation and I think he was playing a bit off of that. Tanaka seems like he does not care.

The FO has to think of him as more than a #3.

rando14

Given the well-established equation that CC's skill is proportional to his obesity, I think his spot in the lineup should be 3rd of 4th now that his BMI is Kevin Durant-tier

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think it was Cashman's way to lower the pressure surrounding Tanaka. He will most likely be 3rd in the rotation and I think he was playing a bit off of that. Tanaka seems like he does not care.

The FO has to think of him as more than a #3.
I wouldn't put too much weight into these labels.

3N16MA

Banned
Given the well-established equation that CC's skill is proportional to his obesity, I think his spot in the lineup should be 3rd of 4th now that his BMI is Kevin Durant-tier

Supposedly he dropped the weight too fast in the past without actually building muscle and getting his strength back. Looks like he changed it up this offseason.

Also his weight loss could have been messing up with his release point and hopefully he is more comfortable pitching at his new weight.

He is not getting younger and he has lots of innings on his arm but I expect him to be better this season.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CC could be done this year, great this year or anything in between. The Yankees and Blue Jays are going to be fascinating this year in the East. Both of them could be really good or really awful and there's no way to tell until the season gets going.

3N16MA

Banned
CC could be done this year, great this year or anything in between. The Yankees and Blue Jays are going to be fascinating this year in the East. Both of them could be really good or really awful and there's no way to tell until the season gets going.

I doubt the Yanks are going to be really awful. The team has some questions but it should not be compared to the team from last season.

rando14

Why would the BJ's be that much better this year?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why would the BJ's be that much better this year?

They can't be any worse with the team they are fielding! If most of their pieces even play up to their seasonal averages they should be in the mix for the second wild card or better.

EDIT: They basically had a less severe version of what happened to the 2012 Sox. Less injured, slightly better manager.

JCizzle

They can't be any worse with the team they are fielding! If most of their pieces even play up to their seasonal averages they should be in the mix for the second wild card or better.

EDIT: They basically had a less severe version of what happened to the 2012 Sox. Less injured, slightly better manager.

The Sox were able to fall back on cutting obscene amounts of alcohol and Popeye's from their diets, hopefully for the BJs there is some canadian equivalent of that (tim hortons???).

I thought that was a pretty silly thing to say publicly considering they gave him the 5th-largest contract for a pitcher in MLB history.

That bothers me that the Yankees dropped starter money for 1 really good year against non-MLB talent...
All these signings, the Yankees are going to have a shit year.
The key is really Beltran and Ellsbury, that outfield has to gel.
And with Jeter leaving, who will lead?

3N16MA

Banned
That bothers me that the Yankees dropped starter money for 1 really good year against non-MLB talent...
All these signings, the Yankees are going to have a shit year.
The key is really Beltran and Ellsbury, that outfield has to gel.
And with Jeter leaving, who will lead?

One really good year? He had more than that and 2013 was not even his best season.

CygnusXS

I look at his potential outside of labels for the most part as there are tiers within tiers when looking at what a #1 or #2 is.

Yeah, and they mean different things for different teams as well. Just as replacement level varies team-to-team.

3N16MA

Banned
http://www.baseball-reference.com/japan/player.cgi?id=tanaka003mas

You are correct, but that was Japanese hitting.
MLB is a whole 'nother monster, and he hasn't thrown a pitch officially on US soil, yet that makes him worth $175 mil?
What about the money dropped on Beltran, McCann, and Ellsbury? Throw on Arods contract too.

He got paid what the market was willing to give him. It's not like the Yanks outbid themselves several times to land him. It's a risk but considering the state of the Yankees young pitching and the increasing amount of extensions that are being signed it was what they had to do.

McCann's deal is pretty good, Beltran I would rather see on 2 years, and Ellsbury was a deal I was never really happy with but could be OK if he stays healthy.

If Ellsbury actually hits Oliver's projection over the next 5 years and you value 1 WAR at $6M right now he would come close to earning his deal through the first 5 years. Steamer seems to think he will be a bit better than that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Their infield is dreadful and if they get hit by injuries again they could be in some serious shit. I don't think that happens right away though.

If no one else will (not darkside), I will reluctantly accept.

we should negotiate a peace, are you for mustard or ketchup?

Whoa wtf happened? I come back wasted to see a great purge?

Looks I'll be on IRC more. GAF isn't the same anymore, everyone's dropping like flies.

can you give me the link?

RIP Frank, and everyone else that went down. A known troll poster runs free and and has his behavior essentially rewarded/justified, and the community is frozen during their all-star event. Numerous quality/long-time posters who have actually contributed greatly to GAF in general (hosting IRC, making OTs, producing media, etc) are lost...but hey, at least it's cool to troll if you time it right. Sucks.

people slung insults at each other and made themselves extremely insular there. as much as some may think, these community topics are about including everyone and not just those with inside baseball knowledge.

we should negotiate a peace, are you for mustard or ketchup?

can you give me the link?

people slung insults at each other and made themselves extremely insular there. as much as some may think, these community topics are about including everyone and not just those with inside baseball knowledge.

Well, new people rarely post there because these threads are not in the OT anymore.

Malvingt2

Kimbrel breakdown:

-- $1 million signing bonus

2014 (age 26): $7 million
2015 (age 27): $9 million
2016 (age 28): $11 million
2017 (age 29): $13 million
2018 (age 30): $13 million club option/$1 million buyout

Kimbrel can earn an additional $3 million in incentives via a point system. The system is as follows:

-- Cy Young award winner: 10 points
-- MVP award winner: 10 points
-- All-Star selection: 5 points
-- Finishing 2nd or 3rd in Cy Young voting: 5 points
-- Top Cy Young vote-getter among pitchers with less than 5 starts: 5 points
-- Finishing 2nd or 3rd in MVP voting: 5 points
-- Finishing 4th or 5th in Cy Young voting: 3 points
-- Finishing 4th or 5th in MVP voting: 3 points
-- Each season with at least 57 games finished: 3 points

Kimbrel will earn an additional $1 million if he hits 20 points. He will earn an additional $0.5 million with every 5 points he hits after up to 45.

There is no no-trade clause because the Braves don't do no-trade clauses.

I just found out. Damn. I dunno how I feel about it.

CygnusXS

I just found out. Damn. I dunno how I feel about it.

Close your eyes and hope for the best.

In other news, the Reds and Homer Bailey are rumoured to be close on a 6-year, $100mm+ extension. I'll wait for the final numbers, but that seems excessive for Bailey.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
In other news, the Reds and Homer Bailey are rumoured to be close on a 6-year, $100mm+ extension. I'll wait for the final numbers, but that seems excessive for Bailey.

No it isn't. 2 no hitters in as many years. The kid has been getting progressively better year by year. 6 years is a great time frame to keep him while he's continually elevating his game. Really hope this works out.

A.J. Burnett's deal with the Phillies has a $15 million 2015 mutual option that can become a $7.5 million player option if the Phillies decline the mutual option.

3N16MA

Banned

It looks like 90M over 5 years is the new money since he is in his final year of arbitration. Considering the price for pitchers and 1 WAR being around 6M it does not look too bad.

I guess they think his last two seasons are indicative of what he will do through his prime.

Oliver has him at:

over the next 5 years. If he lives up to that or surpasses it, it will be a good deal for the Reds.

CygnusXS

I would have no problem with that AAV, I'm just not a fan of guaranteeing the age 29-33 seasons (his first five free agency years) to a pitcher, let alone to one who's thrown over 200 innings only twice in his career (edit) and who had shoulder problems in 2010 and 2011.

Wait... Frank got perm'd?

I finally read up on the nba thread and Gucci is bitchmade for snitching.

I've been ignoring a lot of the insults being thrown my way for what happened in the NBA thread but I'm going to have to ask you to stop calling me a bitch, you don't even fully understand the situation at hand. This place isn't a prison, it's a video game message board; the whole 'snitches get stitches' mentality needs to stop. Nobody should have to deal with abuse on the site and moderators are here to enforce the community guidelines when a problem can't be resolved between members.

Once again, I'm not coming into your community thread to start an argument, just asking that you refrain from being offensive. I'm not going to a moderator or 'snitching,' this is me asking you to stop.

cashman

Banned
You were flipping out and trying to talk shit after Dion Waiters performance in a rookie game and then when you went to a mod after reilo told you to sit back down. Not saying you're bitchmade, but that was pretty shitty of you.

You were flipping out and trying to talk shit after Dion Waiters performance in a rookie game and then when you went to a mod after reilo told you to sit back down. Not saying you're bitchmade, but that was pretty shitty of you.
I wasn't 'flipping out' or 'talking shit' and any reasonable person with an objective viewpoint could see that.

After a user with a history of taunting me hurled an unprovoked insult my way, I asked him to stop. In response the guy essentially laughed in my face so I turned to a moderator for assistance, otherwise nothing was going to change. This wasn't a one time 'oh he made fun of me I'm going to tell on him' type of thing either, there had been a pattern of misconduct. I didn't even ask for a ban, a moderator came into the thread telling everyone to be a little more civil and all heck broke loose. I had nothing to do with the bannings or de-modding, those people brought it on themselves through their comments and actions. You can question if appropriate action was taken but don't blame me for the outcome.

There are so many other contributing factors to what went on in that thread and led to the mass bannings/lock you don't even realize. I'm well aware that rumors and one side of the story has been spreading through IRC chat rooms and via friends of the people who were banned here. It seems like many people have bunkered down and formed an opinion that won't be changed so I'm not going to sit here and crap up your thread, or any other sports related OT, trying to argue about it.

If anyone has questions or wants to start a dialogue, feel free to PM me, I'm more than willing to have a civil conversation. Otherwise I would appreciate not being called a 'bitch' or 'snitch' because it's offensive and needs to stop. Like I said before, Neogaf is not a penitentiary, it's a video game forum. The whole prison yard mentality of 'snitches get stitches' needs to end because frankly it's ridiculous.

This is the last message I'll leave in your thread, carry on.

cashman

Banned
If anyone has questions or wants to start a dialogue, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I would appreciate not being called a 'bitch' or 'snitch' because it's offensive and needs to stop. Like I said before, Neogaf is not a penitentiary, it's a video game forum. The whole prison yard mentality of 'snitches get stitches' needs to end because frankly it's ridiculous. This is the last message I'll leave in your thread, carry on.

The communities pretty much are penitentiaries. Go check the NFL thread.

dmag1223

I would have no problem with that AAV, I'm just not a fan of guaranteeing the age 29-33 seasons (his first five free agency years) to a pitcher, let alone to one who's thrown over 200 innings only twice in his career (edit) and who had shoulder problems in 2010 and 2011.

Ya, I would rather give that extension to Latos, and I'm a huge Bailey fan.

jakncoke

Banned

Every single deal that goes in excess of 70 million makes me hug mccutchens 6 yr 51 deal

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lincecum throws during the offseason for the first time in his career:

Scottsdale, Ariz. – In yet another sign that Tim Lincecum has embraced preparation, he rented a warehouse in Seattle over the winter, installed a synthetic pitching mound and threw buckets of baseballs to a net, or friends who were brave enough to catch him.

This is a big deal for a pitcher who used to come to spring training without throwing off a mound at all on the offseason.

Lincecum said he is tired of heading north after allowing gobs of hits and runs in the Cactus League for a lack of rhythm and starting the season “with a question mark and hoping. I want to start here and work up, and not necessarily take steps backwards.

“I just felt like more throwing would be the best thing I could do for myself,” he said, “not nececesarily throwing hard, but gettting good mechanics and the feel of that ball coming out of my hand from an earlier part of the offseason.”

The results were evident when he threw his first formal bullpen session of spring training Sunday. He repeated his delivery, kept the ball down and hit Buster Posey’s target quite a bit.

“He threw well, free and easy,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “That Timmy, it’s like letting a horse out of the barn. He goes right away. He used all of his pitches and he was letting it go today.”

Lincecum believes he will have a lot more success in 2014 if he keeps his mistake pitches down. The past two seasons, with his velocity down, his mistakes were riding over the plate and getting crushed. He allowed a career-high 23 home runs in 2012 and nearly matched that last year, with 21.

Top Bottom