• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hate to break it to you, but some baseball players aren't great athletes.

lhiGRgW.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
run/job a mile in america.. lolllllll

if even 12% of the adult population could run/job in under 10 mins id be fucking shocked.

I'm surprised there's been no talk of the AJ Burnett deal with the Phillies :p

After the meltdown from the post season last year with the Pirates, I'm kind of shocked he got a deal done with the Phillies as a 37 year old pitcher.

harSon

Banned
What a shitty off-season for the Pirates, thanks to a combination of being frugal as fuck and Barnett fucking us over. At the very least, we needed a starting pitcher, right outfielder and a first baseman. We came away worst off than when we exited last season. Barring some late miracle trades/acquisitions, we better hope Polanco and Taillon are the answers to two of those holes, but that's still a half season away at best most likely. Even with those additions, our situation at first base is disgusting...

Our rotation has me scared right now. Gerrit Cole, Jeff Locke, Francisco Liriano, Wandy Rodriguez, and Charlie Morton.

That's basically an entire rotation of question marks...

dmag1223

What a shitty off-season for the Pirates, thanks to a combination of being frugal as fuck and Barnett fucking us over. At the very least, we needed a starting pitcher, right outfielder and a first baseman. We came away worst off than when we exited last season. Barring some late miracle trades/acquisitions, we better hope Polanco and Taillon are the answers to two of those holes, but that's still a half season away at best most likely. Even with those additions, our situation at first base is disgusting...

Our rotation has me scared right now. Gerrit Cole, Jeff Locke, Francisco Liriano, Wandy Rodriguez, and Charlie Morton.

The Reds probably had a worse offseason, so don't worry. Just accept the new Cardinals/Cubs NL Central future!

thefro

run/job a mile in america.. lolllllll

if even 12% of the adult population could run/job in under 10 mins id be fucking shocked.

1 10 minute mile isn't that hard to do. If it was 2 10 minute miles you might have a point.

The Reds probably had a worse offseason, so don't worry. Just accept the new Cardinals/Cubs NL Central future!

Unless the Cubs somehow start out nuclear hot out of the gate (which would make them a buyer at the deadline) they're at least a year away.

harSon

Banned

To be fair, I'm only worried about this season in particular, or more specifically, the first half of this upcoming season. I'm pretty confident in Taillon and Polanco, and our farm system is among the best in the league at the moment, if not the best, so our outlook moving forward is pretty damn good.

We could make things a lot easier on ourselves if we weren't a bunch of cheap bastards.

jakncoke

Banned
1 10 minute mile isn't that hard to do. If it was 2 10 minute miles you might have a point.

Unless the Cubs somehow start out nuclear hot out of the gate (which would make them a buyer at the deadline) they're at least a year away.

average american is lazy and fat. my drunken pct from tales of my ass last night still stands.

Apropos of nothing, I just learned some weird trivia: we've never had a World Series featuring two expansion teams. In fact, the only time we've even come close is 2001, when the D-Backs won and the Mariners made it to the ALCS (but "close" is stretching it, since the Ms lost to the Yankees in 5 games). How crazy is that?

jakncoke

Banned

Im sure they didnt give Edinson Volquez 5 million to be in AAA. Im not not worried about RF Jose Tabata and Travis Snider can man the fort enough till Polanco comes later. Im pretty worried on 1B though.

Is the average person in shape though?

Pitchers don't care bout no cardio.

Wut. When I played baseball back in HS pitchers spent more time on cardio than any other position. Running backstops until you were ready to collapse was pretty common.

Im sure they didnt give Edinson Volquez 5 million to be in AAA. Im not not worried about RF Jose Tabata and Travis Snider can man the fort enough till Polanco comes later. Im pretty worried on 1B though.

Time to trade for Justin Smoak and/or sign Kendrys Morales.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Apparently the Angels offered Garza a $52mm contract, but he turned it down because he was on vacation and didn't want to be bothered.

jakncoke

Banned
Wut. When I played baseball back in HS pitchers spent more time on cardio than any other position. Running backstops until you were ready to collapse was pretty common.

Time to trade for Justin Smoak and/or sign Kendrys Morales.

Signing a guy and giving up a 1st for someone that projects to have the same WAR as your current starter, not to mention the money he probably wants sounds very Dave Littlefield. Thankfully Neil Huntington is our GM

・It is my hope that the rumored Bailey contract comes to fruition.
・I do not believe it to be overly excessive, although there is a chance the Reds org might regret it.
・I believe this decision would help salvage what has been an otherwise uneventful off-season, subjectively speaking.

I hope that my comments today are not perceived as offensive to any other poster. If you feel bullied and personally attacked by my comments on the Bailey contract extension, please understand that it is not my intention to do so.

Malo

Banned
・I do not believe it to be overly excessive, although there is a chance the Reds org might regret it.
・I believe this decision would help salvage what has been an otherwise uneventful off-season, subjectively speaking.

I hope that my comments today are not perceived as offensive to any other poster. If you feel bullied and personally attacked by my comments on the Bailey contract extension, please understand that it is not my intention to do so.
I still find this post to be offensive. Reported.

Welcome back Vas

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

I take your disagreement with my arguments as a direct and vicious attack on my person. Your monstrous words should not be allowed, and you should not be able to make me feel this way.

I will be reporting you to the authorities immediately.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CC could be done this year, great this year or anything in between. The Yankees and Blue Jays are going to be fascinating this year in the East. Both of them could be really good or really awful and there's no way to tell until the season gets going.

This doesn't really say much (they could be really good or really awful), but I think it is sort of meaningless even given how airy a statement it is. The Yankees' pythag wins from last year was, what, just about 80? This is a better team than that, so it's extremely unlikely the team will be "really awful."

Talon

I take your disagreement with my arguments as a direct and vicious attack on my person. Your monstrous words should not be allowed, and you should not be able to make me feel this way.

I will be reporting you to the authorities immediately.
applause.gif

I still find this post to be offensive. Reported.

Welcome back Vas

You know, I'm a trend-setter. I get banned, then everybody follows.

Let's compile a list of noted MLB-GAFFERS down for the count:

1. Frankman
2. Zep
3. Eznark
4. Sanjuro
5. Cervantes
6. Vas (Free as of an hour ago)

Who else got pinched?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This doesn't really say much (they could be really good or really awful), but I think it is sort of meaningless even given how airy a statement it is. The Yankees' pythag wins from last year was, what, just about 80? This is a better team than that, so it's extremely unlikely the team will be "really awful."

You're right, that was pretty wishy washy. I think they are even more injury prone and they definitely have a worse infield if such a thing were even possible. If they stay healthy though there's no way they could be worse overall than last year offensively. Pitching is the real wild card.

Top Bottom