• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

3N16MA

Banned
Jesus stole cc's girth

BgxdhoTCQAEyyX8.jpg

Great job Mariners, you destroyed Jesus. We will take him back and return him to the greatness that he deserves.

Mets fans, new pitcher to check out this season. Marcos Molina getting a lot of love. Parks put him in his top ten today. Mets are stacked on the pitching side! Puello was 7th, which is surprising since a lot of prospecters have forgotten about him. Guy could be first one up in case of injuring.

Mets fans, new pitcher to check out this season. Marcos Molina getting a lot of love. Parks put him in his top ten today. Mets are stacked on the pitching side! Puello was 7th, which is surprising since a lot of prospecters have forgotten about him. Guy could be first one up in case of injuring.

What type of pitcher is he? The name doesn't ring a bell.

What type of pitcher is he? The name doesn't ring a bell.
Young Dominican starter signed the same year as Ahmed Rosario, so hes like 18-19. Parks said he's ultra-atlhetic with size and stuff.
@ProfessorParks: Source on Marcos Molina: "I wish we had him. That's a 1st round talent right there. Athletic and loose. Starter all the way." #Mets

Goddamn Mat Gamel. Spent all that time crushing AAA waiting behind Prince Fielder, finally gets his shot, tears his ACL, tears it again the next year, and now injures it again.

Syrinx

Young Dominican starter signed the same year as Ahmed Rosario, so hes like 18-19. Parks said he's ultra-atlhetic with size and stuff.
@ProfessorParks: Source on Marcos Molina: "I wish we had him. That's a 1st round talent right there. Athletic and loose. Starter all the way." #Mets

Huh. Never heard of the guy. Mets stash of young arms grows ever bigger.

Malvingt2

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman
Frank Wren and Freddie Gonzalez have received contract extensions. John Schuerholz did not reveal the length of the extensions

Malvingt2

Kevin McAlpin ‏@KevinMcAlpin
Schuerholz (on extensions): "they've done wonderful jobs for us and we're glad that we were able to get that done" #Braves

Freddie Gonzalez had make a lot of mistakes as a manager....Schuerholz is blind now?

rando14

I didn't get to see Homer pitch too much last year but from what I saw he was pretty solid. Good era, solid k/bb rate, low # of hits, etc. 6/105 seems like quite a bit but I think that's just the way it goes now.

I'll await input from Reds-GAF though

Malvingt2

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves
RT @JeffPassan: Agent Casey Close's (Excel group) winter: $210M Kershaw, $155M Tanaka, $135M Freeman, ~$105M Bailey. $600M+, $30M commission

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yes! Really happy the Bailey deal got done. Still just a small win in an otherwise terrible offseason. Time to work a trade for Cueto and move Bailey into the 1 slot dude can't stay healthy.

3N16MA

Banned
Bailey's deal is really 5/95 as he was going to get around 10M through arbitration this season anyways. The Reds must believe his will be around a 3 WAR pitcher through most of his prime and gave him the deal.

Hopefully Latos makes it to FA.

aFIGurANT

All this Cards are #1 talk from the mainstream sports sites is making me wary for this upcoming season. Kevin Siegrist is already reporting arm soreness. :[
I don't want to hold out hope that we'll do better than last year with how good the lineup was with RISP. However when you have a dearth of good pitching to cycle through I think that at least the division should still be a lock. Siegrist is not so easily replaced but if he spends the season taking it easy in AAA he may be a good starter yet. Maybe the next Randy Johnson.

Please just don't run anyone into the ground again this year, there's way too much depth in the system for that.

Bailey's deal is really 5/95 as he was going to get around 10M through arbitration this season anyways. The Reds must believe his will be around a 3 WAR pitcher through most of his prime and gave him the deal.
Either that or they expect salaries to continue to rise steadily. ~$20M AAV doesn't provide a lot of surplus value even at $7M/win for a 3 WAR player. But the team is assuming the injury risk for 5 additional years.

Plus, that $7M/win figure is for free agents, not players still a year away from free agency.

I don't want to hold out hope that we'll do better than last year with how good the lineup was with RISP. However when you have a dearth of good pitching to cycle through I think that at least the division should still be a lock. Siegrist is not so easily replaced but if he spends the season taking it easy in AAA he may be a good starter yet. Maybe the next Randy Johnson.

Please just don't run anyone into the ground again this year, there's way too much depth in the system for that.
It's nice to dream but Siegrist isn't starting material at the major league level. He supposedly only got the uptick in velo after shifting to the bullpen and AFAIK, he doesn't really have a reliable 3rd pitch.

I worry that the team will have to scramble to patch up the bullpen again in May/June despite our excellent "depth". Still, if one reliever succumbing to injury is the worst case scenario, it isn't all that bad.

Will be interesting to see how Wacha's and C-Mart's innings will be managed this year, in light of Shelby's relative absence last October.

BFIB

I do like the Cardinals chances, and they have the makings to be a solid team for the next 5 plus years. But some of these guys are going to regress some. MCarp played out of his mind last year, and while I still think he will be a solid 3B, expecting him to hit 55 doubles again is just crazy.

Good thing, is that Miller will likely be stretched this year, and should be good to go. Lynn hopefully takes a step forward. Really the only big question mark is Garcia, but there's at least answers for that if need be. The 'pen is the wild card for me as well. My prediction is that Carlos Martinez starts at AAA this year, with Neshek getting a shot. Depending on what news comes of Siegrist, then I'd expect Lyons to get a shot from the left side. Motte should be good to go, but returning from TJ, you just never know.

But I think this division is going to surprise some. I do think the Brewers will quietly contend, Reds will likely be going in deep this year (odds of retaining Latos/Chapman is unlikely now). Bucs will be solid, just not sure if they will be as solid as last year. And the Cubs are real close to playing spoiler for someone.

Top Bottom