• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Oh well. It's pretty obvious that Heyward will test out the free agent market after 2015, but signing all of those other guys makes up for it.

Malvingt2

Bg76hUqCcAA7nwt.jpg

Malo

Banned
I would think the Yankees would just sign Aledmys Diaz rather than Drew (actually might be why they haven't moved on Drew yet - waiting to see what happens with Diaz)
By all indications Diaz would need some time in the minors and the Yankees need infield help now. I'm all for signing Diaz, but they need Drew for this season.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Keeping basically everyone except Heyward will definitely make it easier to watch him sign somewhere else.

At the same time, I find I'm more confident than ever that the Braves will extend him.

Not saying hes not good just saying his skill set has always been undervalued through arbitration. Pretty much every other guy who gets locked up this early is a slugging 1B/OF type and not a defensive value based middle infielder. I really don't think he was going to get this much over the next 7 years so he was smart to take it.
Do we have any recent comparables (great glove, so so bat) that went to arb as well as how much that player got? You'd expect the arbitrators to eventually realize the value of defense.

Regardless, it looks like this extension buys out 3 free agent years. Look at it as a 3/58 deal and that's ~20M/year (with 3 free arb years). So at current free agent prices, he only has to worth 3 WAR in those 3 years (with everything in the next 4 years being free surplus value!). And the price/WAR will certainly rise by 2018-2020.

This is how you do an extension. Nearly Longoria-esque.

CygnusXS

Actually it's only two free agent years, and his AAV for those years will be $14mm, which should be a steal.

Haha, whoops. I misunderstood "eligible for arb in 2015" in one of the newstories to be arb eligible after this year instead of being arb eligible after the 2015 season. Still a really, really, really team friendly extension though. :p

BFIB

Cardinals are one of the teams interested in Aledmys Diaz. Another SS, but I'm fine w/ some depth at the position rather than throwing warm bodies out there like we have been.

Friggz

The Braves spending the money.. damn

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman
With Simmons' seven-year, $58 million contract, the #Braves have committed more than $280 million in extensions over the past two weeks.

braves are really banking on his power developing even more from last season. if it doesnt that can be a pretty terrible deal.

3N16MA

Banned
braves are really banking on his power developing even more from last season. if it doesnt that can be a pretty terrible deal.

He is an above league average hitter for a SS with the best defense in the game at the position. If he remains a .308 wOBA, 94 wRC+ hitter along with his elite defense it will be a very good deal in terms of the value they get from him.

Friggz

He is an above league average hitter for a SS with the best defense in the game at the position. If he remains a .308 wOBA, 94 wRC+ hitter along with his elite defense it will be a very good deal in terms of the value they get from him.

its expensive becuase defense doesn't pay well through arbitration. a .308 woba is considered poor; average to above average is in the 320-340 range. his 94wrc is aided by the 100+ in his first season (which is a SSS since it wasnt even 50 games), it was 91 in his first full season.

Of course he can get better, its entierly too early to tell. but as i said, he will need to continue to hit 15-18 homers a season and developer more gap power to be even an average player.

Parch

Mariners are going to sign Ervin aren't they?
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said the club is unlikely to sign a free agent starting pitcher. Sounds like the bidding got too rich for them.

Which friggin' sucks. I was hoping they'd get 2 FA starters. Now they'll get squat.

3N16MA

Banned
its expensive becuase defense doesn't pay well through arbitration. a .308 woba is considered poor; average to above average is in the 320-340 range. his 94wrc is aided by the 100+ in his first season (which is a SSS since it wasnt even 50 games), it was 91 in his first full season.

Of course he can get better, its entierly too early to tell. but as i said, he will need to continue to hit 15-18 homers a season and developer more gap power to be even an average player.

SS don't usually hit like 1B. You look at what is average for the position not what is average for the league.

Simmons ranked 12th in wRC+ in 2013 out of 24 SS with at least 400 PA. I lowered the minimum PA from fangraphs default in order to include more players. He ranked 14th in wOBA out of those 24. He is basically right around the middle of the group and that is taking out his 2012 season.

He ranks 1st with the glove by a healthy margin and ranked 3rd in fWAR. He is basically a slightly above league average with the bat and elite with the glove.

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said the club is unlikely to sign a free agent starting pitcher. Sounds like the bidding got too rich for them.

Which friggin' sucks. I was hoping they'd get 2 FA starters. Now they'll get squat.

But...Dioner Navarro! And...Chris Getz? Brent Morel?

I love how AA's stated strategy for the year is essentially "Our luck has to get better, doesn't it?" As nice as it is to think that, that doesn't sound like something the GM of an MLB team should be saying. Even if the Jays' luck gets better, I don't see where they get 15-20 more wins.

McNei1y

So I just bought tickets for Opening Day up in New York against the Mets. I then bought Home Opener tickets that Friday. So much Nats. So much awesome.

3N16MA

Banned
I will add that the arbitration process does seem to not heavily weigh defense like they do offense. They probably don't even bother with advanced defensive metrics.

aFIGurANT

I will add that the arbitration process does seem to not heavily weigh defense like they do offense. They probably don't even bother with advanced defensive metrics.

It doesn't help that defensive stats are still behind in terms of quantitative (or maybe it's qualitative...or both) reasoning. I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of all the offensive metrics that are being pumped out but at least they generally have a statistical founding whereas on defense things are more subjective.

So I just bought tickets for Opening Day up in New York against the Mets. I then bought Home Opener tickets that Friday. So much Nats. So much awesome.

I'm still reserving the temptation to buy Home Opener tix for the Mets... I'll see how spring training goes.

I have not been keeping up with the off season this past month or so. Someone fill me in, anything new with the Cards? Is LaRussa back as manager? Did Troy Glaus come back from retirement to redeem himself? I heard Carpenter is done for good, is he going to change his mind again?

CygnusXS

I have not been keeping up with the off season this past month or so. Someone fill me in, anything new with the Cards? Is LaRussa back as manager? Did Troy Glaus come back from retirement to redeem himself? I heard Carpenter is done for good, is he going to change his mind again?
The answer to all these questions is yes.

Top Bottom