• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

santeesioux

Lol wtf Nelson turns down a 14 mil qualifying and ends up with a 1 year 8 mil deal?

iGsuvwFFN1JoU.gif

Now he'll be a free agent next offseason and we'll hear how he's going to the Mariners for months again.

Macattk15

Damn. For 1yr/8m I wouldn't have minded the Mariners paying that ... I just didn't want anything over say 12m or so.

But least I don't have to see him on the M's as I never really wanted him in the 1st place.

Maybe now the M's can get Morales and then trade Smoak. That'd be much better.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really don't get how the Mariners weren't more interested. They look like the biggest losers out of this whole ordeal. They're paying Corey Hart at least 6 million this year and I'd much rather have Nelson Cruz on a 1 year deal, hes a healthier and more productive player.

Orioles got themselves a nice deal there. Between Cruz and Ubaldo they have the potential to do really well for themselves. Both deals could blow up pretty horribly but they're the right moves to make when you were the 4th best team in the division on paper.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ken Rosenthal
Sources: #Orioles still interested in Santana even after signing Jimenez, Cruz. Next pick they would lose would be No. 91 overall.

One source adds: Santana would rather sit out until after June draft than accept deal similar to Cruz’s. Comp pick disappears after draft.

I'm actually surprised more guys haven't thought about doing this. Like worst case scenario is they get the same money they would have gotten for a full year for only half a year worth of playing. Best case scenario is they get the long term deal they were looking for originally.

Welcome home, Mr. Bonds.

Giants to welcome back Barry Bonds as spring instructor

Before there can be a statue of Barry Bonds at AT&T Park, there had to be a trial balloon.

It’s going up in two weeks.

In what amounts to a small but significant renewal of vows, Bonds will join the Giants as a special instructor later this spring. He’ll arrive in Scottsdale on March 7 or 8 and spend a week counseling players, offering hitting tips and acting on orders from Giants manager Bruce Bochy.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/giants-welcome-back-barry-bonds-spring-instructor

Macattk15

I really don't get how the Mariners weren't more interested. They look like the biggest losers out of this whole ordeal. They're paying Corey Hart at least 6 million this year and I'd much rather have Nelson Cruz on a 1 year deal, hes a healthier and more productive player.

Orioles got themselves a nice deal there. Between Cruz and Ubaldo they have the potential to do really well for themselves. Both deals could blow up pretty horribly but they're the right moves to make when you were the 4th best team in the division on paper.

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that Hart has a better season than Cruz. Any amount.

Cruz MIGHT be worth 1.5 wins.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Is Miguel Tejada still active?

Has David Wright played in 1300 games? I'm not sure he's quite there.

Tejada isn't signed anywhere so I didn't count him.

Wright makes the list. Surprising to me he's been around that long.

Bartolo Colon comes to mind, I don't think he's been to a WS.
He's a pitcher not enough games.

Aramis Ramirez?
Yes
Adam Dunn, Alex Rios, and Brian Roberts?

Ichiro
Dunn Rios and Ichiro are all in top 5. Ichiro surprisingly isn't number 1. Brian Roberts barely makes it

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
You know, Evan Longoria is criminally underrated. 4 out of his 6 seasons have produced fWARs above 6, and he leads baseball in fWAR since his debut.

You know, Evan Longoria is criminally underrated. 4 out of his 6 seasons have produced fWARs above 6, and he leads baseball in fWAR since his debut.

Can someone explain how the WAR stat is meant to be interpreted. I don't fully understand the logic behind sabermetrics.

3N16MA

Banned
I like the deal the Yanks gave Gardner. He is going back to LF where he is an elite defender and a 3+ WAR seasons are not out of the question at all. He should earn that contract and add surplus value.

Of course the Yanks could have done this earlier and tied him up for less but I guess they're taking baby steps with extensions.

Top Bottom