• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Sounds like 6/150 is the rumor. Come on, Trout. I want to see a record contract! Go to free agency!

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this way. At the very least, if the Angels buy him out, I want it to be for something crazy. 6/150 is kind of cool, I guess (especially if the last year really is for $38 million), but still, if they're going to lock him up, it should be incredible -- like...12 years, $400 million or something*. Break the bank!

* 12/400 would probably end up being a huge bargain for them, too. Even if the cost of a win stays at $6 million -- which it clearly won't -- he'd just have to average 5.5 WAR/year for the life of the deal to be worth it. Two years into his career, and he's already got 20 bWAR!

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this way. At the very least, if the Angels buy him out, I want it to be for something crazy. 6/150 is kind of cool, I guess (especially if the last year really is for $38 million), but still, if they're going to lock him up, it should be incredible -- like...12 years, $400 million or something*. Break the bank!

* 12/400 would probably end up being a huge bargain for them, too. Even if the cost of a win stays at $6 million -- which it clearly won't -- he'd just have to average 5.5 WAR/year for the life of the deal to be worth it. Two years into his career, and he's already got 20 bWAR!
Rival GMs are saying any number with a 1 in front is not enough for this guy. 6/200 and up.

Almost-final post counts before the playoff thread!

Y2Kev 1,290
pollo 1,245
The Frankman 1,229
NomarTyme 1,093
jman2050 1,068
Karakand 1,049
vas_a_morir 999
CajoleJuice 954
sorryaboutdresden 933
Windu 824

Frankman reaches the top 3 after a slow start, Y2Kev defends his title, staving off pollo at the last minute.

Congrats to newcomers vas_a_morir and sorryaboutdresdan for reachign the top 10!

Also, we beat last year's thread by about 6000 posts. MLB thread > *

except for pollo and dresdan, everyone else has been here a looong time. good to see. this is from 2008 FYI.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Mike Minor has been pushed back a little due to soreness after he rushed into baseball activities following a procedure he had done on his urethra in December.

OK then.

Doogdogg

BhASd4kCEAAZx2y.jpg

New rules on plate collisions are in place to ban "egregious" plate collisions starting in 2014.

-- A runner may not run outside of the path to home plate in an attempt to initiate contact with a catcher or any other position player covering the plate. Doing so will be an automatic out, even if the position player loses possession of the ball during the collision.

-- The catcher may not block the path of the runner attempting to score unless he has possession of the ball. If the catcher attempts to block the path of the runner without possession of the ball, the runner will be automatically ruled safe.

-- All calls will be umpire's judgment calls. Umpires are encouraged to consider whether the runner lowered his head or shoulders and whether the runner made a reasonable effort to touch the plate.

-- Runners are not required to slide and catchers are allowed to block the plate only with possession of the ball. Runners who slide and catchers who provide a lane for the runners to reach home plate will never be found in violation of the rule.

-- Calls can be requested to be reviewed by managers and will not use up a manager's challenge.

MLB officially wanted all players to be forced to slide at home plate and catchers to not be allowed to block the plate, but the MLBPA vetoed that.

CygnusXS

Between that and all the new replay rules, it's going to be "fun" watching them work out the kinks this year.

CygnusXS

I do think there is more sense in taking the security now and then getting into the open market at 28 instead of 26. Getting a 10-year deal at 28 gives him better security in his late 30's. At the same time, I know agents don't really think that way.

aFIGurANT

The problem is that he has one year of pre-arb service and 3 arb years left, so he can't ask for full value in those first 4 years.

Indeed. The projection I saw on CHC showed him making 15M, 20M, and then 25M over those three arbitration years. Interesting stuff. Surely he'd be the highest paid arbitration case yet if that were to pan out.

rando14

BFIB

Buying MLB.TV on Friday. So QQ for those who buy it yearly. Part of the subscription says that you'll get access to the "At Bat 2014 edition" for free. I already bought the app a few years back, and was recently updated to the 2014 edition (free version). So once I buy MLB.TV, how do I go about making sure I'm getting the free update to the new At Bat through my MLB.TV subscription and not be charged by "buying" the IAP to upgrade?

Buying MLB.TV on Friday. So QQ for those who buy it yearly. Part of the subscription says that you'll get access to the "At Bat 2014 edition" for free. I already bought the app a few years back, and was recently updated to the 2014 edition (free version). So once I buy MLB.TV, how do I go about making sure I'm getting the free update to the new At Bat through my MLB.TV subscription and not be charged by "buying" the IAP to upgrade?

I think they ask you to sign in then it validates if you have MLB.TV

BFIB

I think they ask you to sign in then it validates if you have MLB.TV

Ok, thanks. I just wasn't sure how all that worked since this will be the first time I'll actually be buying the full MLB.TV. Usually I just upgrade the app for the $20 per year.

Parch

Who is going to sign Ervin Santana? I remember when he wanted like five years 100 million plus.
CBS saying he's asking 4 years for $50M. I can't believe the Blue Jays are not willing to pay that. SP depth isn't looking good if they don't do something.

Apparently the compensation pick is a sticking point for some but disappears in June, so Santana is willing to sit out until then.

I bet somebody buckles before then and grabs him.

Today's MLB At Bat update is pretty major in terms of UI. It's all clean and iOs7-ey. Looks good, it was long overdue for a visual refresh. Can't wait to listen to games for the first time this year tomorrow!

I think changes are going to have to be made to the Qualifying Offer system. It's too damaging to the players because teams don't want to give up draft picks. Ervin Santana, Stephen Drew, and Kendrys Morales not being signed yet it is insane. The possibility of all those players sitting out until after the draft is even crazier.

I'd say maybe that all your draft picks are protected unless you made the playoffs in the previous year. That would give 20 teams no penalties for signing players who declined the QO.

aFIGurANT

Sort of off topic but I just saw Matt Harvey interview that kid about Matt Harvey and the 14 yr old actually says to just "don't blow out his arm" I fucking died. Sad as fuck.

CygnusXS

Today's MLB At Bat update is pretty major in terms of UI. It's all clean and iOs7-ey. Looks good, it was long overdue for a visual refresh. Can't wait to listen to games for the first time this year tomorrow!
I was excited about the new update using proper Android navigation design, then I noticed that they're using iOS 7 style transitions. *sigh*

aFIGurANT

Sort of off topic but I just saw Matt Harvey interview that kid about Matt Harvey and the 14 yr old actually says to just "don't blow out his arm" I fucking died. Sad as fuck.
And of course I find out right after this that Trevor Rosenthal left a practice field with discomfort in his leg. There's no such thing as too much pitching. It's an accurate clice sadly.

Syrinx

I think changes are going to have to be made to the Qualifying Offer system. It's too damaging to the players because teams don't want to give up draft picks. Ervin Santana, Stephen Drew, and Kendrys Morales not being signed yet it is insane. The possibility of all those players sitting out until after the draft is even crazier.

I'd say maybe that all your draft picks are protected unless you made the playoffs in the previous year. That would give 20 teams no penalties for signing players who declined the QO.

Stephen Drew could be signed by the Mets by tomorrow if he just gave up his quest for an opt-out clause after 1 year. That's the one thing preventing him from signing with us.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Just get rid of the system entirely. The point of the system should be to give teams that lost players gains and not punish teams that try to sign other players. Just create more compensatory draft pick gains for teams that lose players without punishing teams trying to sign a free agent.

Top Bottom