• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The NL East can't hit for shit though besides the Nationals. There's a lot of free wins against Miami, Philadelphia, New York and the Braves pitching is still pretty damn good. They are definitely in the hunt for the wild card.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The NL East can't hit for shit though besides the Nationals. There's a lot of free wins against Miami, Philadelphia, New York and the Braves pitching is still pretty damn good. They are definitely in the hunt for the wild card.
I mean, the Braves were the third best hitting team in the NL last year.

McNei1y

S
Looking at them side by side:

images

harper-run-wall-face-blood.gif

The bulk increase is pretty massive. That's quite the transformation.

Hey, the MLB Network commercials don't show Bryce juicing! He's pumping mad iron bruh!

The NL East can't hit for shit though besides the Nationals.

There's also a chance the Nationals just decide not to hit again this year too.

Yeah. We can't hit - or shall I say clutch hit - worth shit. Some games we'll put up 7+ runs and dominate. Most games we give our stellar pitching zero run support.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean, the Braves were the third best hitting team in the NL last year.

Whoops, forgot to mention the Braves in that bit defending the Braves.

The point is that the Braves STILL have enough pitching to run roughshod over what is almost certainly the worst division in Baseball. So do the Nationals, mind you but the Braves should be good enough to be in it until the very end and at the very least compete for the wild card again.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Twins extend Glen Perkins through 2017 with an option year for 2018.

2014: $4.025 million
2015: $4.650 million
2016: $6.300 million
2017: $6.500 million
2018: $6.500 million club option, $700k buyout.

I love it. Perk's my favorite non-Mauer Twin.

Loco4Coco

Just looking over the Mets' Spring training schedule, why are they going Las Vegas to play against the CUBS? Then a couple of games in Montreal?

Enron

Banned
The Braves virtually had nothing from Beachy all year last year. He only made 5 starts, so he wasn't even a piece of last year's success. But yeah, this season is already starting ominously. I think calling the Braves a .500 team now because two pitchers are gone though is going way overboard. Let's not forget Medlen was a bit mediocre for the first half of last year too. He was going to get kicked to the bullpen until Hudson got injured. The rest of the division aside from the Nationals blows, so as long as the Braves take care of their own division, they should be alright.

Kris Medlen was a TAD mediocre for a bit last year and the only reason they were thinking of kicking him to the pen is because he's pitched out of the pen before. He was the Braves' best starting pitcher last year. Santana is a downgrade. Beachy was supposed to ease losing Hudson, but now we have neither Hudson nor Beachy and replaced with a smattering of Hale/Garcia/Floyd. Ugh. Calling it now. .500. Nats walk away with the division.

CygnusXS

Santana and Medlen are basically the same. The Braves and Nats project to about even with Beachy, but he's never been expected to provide more than a win. Nats are probably slight favorites now, but it's a long season.

Just looking over the Mets' Spring training schedule, why are they going Las Vegas to play against the CUBS? Then a couple of games in Montreal?
I guess since Vegas is our Triple A team. Promo or some shit. Don't know why for Montreal but I think its about sold out.

Syrinx

I guess since Vegas is our Triple A team. Promo or some shit. Don't know why for Montreal but I think its about sold out.

Guess it's some attempt to gauge some interest in baseball in Montreal. I guess the Mets were picked cause they're one of the Expos' old division rivals.

Whoa. I'll remember this when Santana is getting rocked.

Santana last 3 years:
7.01 k/9 2.83 bb/9 1.02 hr/9 3.93 xfip
6.72 k/9 3.08 bb/9 1.97 hr/9 4.38 xfip
6.87 k/9 2.19 bb/9 1.11 hr/9 3.69 xfip

Medlen last 2 years
7.83 k/9 1.50 bb/9 0.39 hr/9 2.97 xfip
7.17 k/9 2.15 bb/9 0.82 hr/9 3.55 xfip

Medlen also had the advantage of pitching in the easier league so there is that.

Kris Medlen was a TAD mediocre for a bit last year and the only reason they were thinking of kicking him to the pen is because he's pitched out of the pen before. He was the Braves' best starting pitcher last year. Santana is a downgrade. Beachy was supposed to ease losing Hudson, but now we have neither Hudson nor Beachy and replaced with a smattering of Hale/Garcia/Floyd. Ugh. Calling it now. .500. Nats walk away with the division.

I think you were watching too many Rangers games, because Medlen was pretty bad in June/July of last year. They weren't going to put their best pitcher in the bullpen just because he'd been there before. lol what kind of logic is that? Medlen was pretty unlucky in April/May, but he was downright ass in June/July.

EDIT: from April 21 to August 13, he was 9-11 with a 4.07 ERA. Opponents were hitting .280 off him. So he definitely wasn't the Cy Young you were thinking about last year.

I havent been keeping up with the offseason at all really. kinda weird for me...

But yea Im guessing Van Slyke in left, Ethier in CF and Puig in right... what is Kemp's status?
They're saying he's getting closer to coming back. He won't be making the trip to Australia and we'll see if he's ready to play the Padres series.

Malvingt2

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman
When told Joe Kelly is not assure a spot in St. Louis' rotation, Fredi Gonzalez said, "You know what, I could use him."

Sanjuro

Farrell said that the Red Sox were aware of some shin issues when Iglesias was in Boston, but nothing to the point that the shortstop is dealing with now.

“Aware from the extent that we had to monitor it,” said Farrell when asked of his awareness of Iglesias’€™ physical issues. “There were some games where we had to get him off his feet because he felt some pain and some soreness there. But to see what’s come out now with the report. I feel sorry for the kid. He’s an exciting player. Anytime you see a player have to deal with an injury and miss time, you hate to see it. He’s fun to watch, he was a great kid to have on the team, fun to be around. Unfortunately, he’s going to miss what looks to be a substantial amount of time.”

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ouch, wasn't Corbin the Diamondbacks' best pitcher last year that tailed off significantly down the stretch?

Announcers were saying the long season last year would help him down the stretch this year. And now he's injured. Freakin ligaments.

CygnusXS

That's too bad about Corbin. I really liked him. I guess it's a good thing they have Arroyo, if his back ever heals.

Top Bottom