• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

o0CoTrr.png

Enron

Banned
Per Evan Grant.....LOTS of money involved.

Evan Grant ‏@Evan_P_Grant 44s
Awaiting commish’s approval. Lotta cash involved. RT @BleuEdmondson: Is this Kinsler thing a done deal @Evan_P_Grant

Kinsler is not a great baseball player, and Prince is. Prince is also two years younger. This does let Cabrera move to where he needs to be, and Prince's contract is seven kinds of awful.

I think this trade is probably good for both teams.

Kinsler is not a great baseball player, and Prince is. Prince is also two years younger. This does let Cabrera move to where he needs to be, and Prince's contract is seven kinds of awful.

I think this trade is probably good for both teams.

Especially since it'll open cash for Scherzer and they needed a second basemen anyhow.

cashman

Banned
I kinda like this trade. Out of the 3 middle infielders I wanted to see Kinsler gone the most, and Fielder gets rid of Mitch Moreland in the lineup.

Also Kinsler is pretty underrated as a player, he's always put up pretty strong numbers.

What..???!???? Fielder's contract is fucking terrible though. He'll be stuck here for SEVEN YEARS. No one else will touch that shit.

losing-it.gif

rando14

I look at the contracts of kinsley and fielder and I STILL can't fucking believe the diamondbacks got Goldschmidt for 5/32, lucky bastards! lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kinsler is a more productive player? Do you even believe half the shit you say?

Are you seriously trying to argue that Fielder was a better player last year? Seriously? Like do you even watch baseball?

Prince had a bad year by his standards and the contract but I know he'll bounce back next year in Texas.

He's 30 and he's a fat fuck. Tigers were taking the bet he wasn't going to bounce back. I don't know what belief you have that he will but you're entitled to that opinion.

And with Cabrera moving to 1B this is a godsend to be able to move Fielder so they can keep both Cabrera and Martinez.

Branduil

Hopefully a change of scenery can help Fielder with the personal issues he was dealing with last year. The DFW area is way better than Detroit, so there's that. I hope he likes tacos.

aFIGurANT

Welp I thought I would be able to break the news but obviously I lost that by a long stretch, so...

Rangers don't need to get rid of Andrus or Profar anymore. The SS market just got markedly thinner. Woe is STL fandom.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Fielder was a better player last year? Seriously? Like do you even watch baseball?

He's 30 and he's a fat fuck. Tigers were taking the bet he wasn't going to bounce back. I don't know what belief you have that he will but you're entitled to that opinion.

And with Cabrera moving to 1B this is a godsend to be able to move Fielder so they can keep both Cabrera and Martinez.
When has Prince's fatness ever affected him? You act like he's always missing games. And I'll take Brian Kenny's word over yours.

https://twitter.com/MrBrianKenny/status/403333362523185154

knicks

What the fuck??? I literally don't understand this trade at all.
KuGsj.gif

1. Why would Detroit want an inferior player?
2. Why Would the Rangers want to take on that salary?

Don't forget his awesome base running guys.

princeflies.gif

What I don't get is that Josh Hamilton wasn't resigned in 2012 who had a up and down year, yet they're going to take Prince Fielder and hope that he turns out?

Branduil

Like Lazy vs Crazy said I think this is good for both teams. Detroit gets a good defensive 2nd baseman, gets rid of an albatross contract, and can move Cabrera back to 1st. Texas solves their MIF logjam and their 1st base power drought at the same time.

Enron

Banned
hahaha, taking a quick look around the 'net, all of a sudden Tigers fans act like Fielder will be out of baseball in two years and Kinsler is a hall of famer. I love baseball!

Branduil

What I don't get is that Josh Hamilton wasn't resigned in 2012 who had a up and down year, yet they're going to take Prince Fielder and hope that he turns out?

We didn't re-sign Josh because he's a basketcase with terrible plate discipline. Also he had a ridiculously worse season last year than Fielder, so it was the right decision.

Enron

Banned
Rosenthal says he's been told that the total cash in the deal is less than 50 million.

That's an encouraging upper boundary!

Watch Mitch Moreland will get traded and become and MVP candidate like Chris Davis :/

Fielder has had a pretty big drop off though in some his batting stats the past three years. Going from 38 HR and a .981 ops on his contract to year to 25 HR and a .819 ops last season.

Enron

Banned
Who's catching and playing LF for Texas?

Whoever they sign in Free Agency

(McCann and Choo plz)

Watch Mitch Moreland will get traded and become and MVP candidate like Chris Davis :/

Fielder has had a pretty big drop off though in some his batting stats the past three years. Going from 38 HR and a .981 ops on his contract to year to 25 HR and a .819 ops last season.

Trust me, Chris Davis 2.0 ain't happening. Moreland is what he is. Terrible.

Fielder had a down year. He's 29 and coming to a hitter's paradise. I think he'll be fine.

knicks

1. Free up cap sapce to resign scherzer
2. get a power bat in the line up

I understand #1, though the Rangers have been so reluctant to giving big contracts lately.

And Prince Fielder is good. He isn't amazing. He clearly isn't and wasn't ever worth the contract that Tigers gave him, which is why it is so shocking.

aFIGurANT

One down year for Prince is not the end of the world. Kinsler has similarly declined at the plate over the same span but in the end each party was going for one asset:

Detroit: A second baseman who can play gold-glove D.

Texas: A guy who rakes and who will rake even harder in their home ballpark.

There are other factors for each but both players have what is wanted, we just didn't realize that such a scenario could exist. Astounding balls by both GMs though obviously, although Texas needed to do something with their MI anyway.

hahaha, taking a quick look around the 'net, all of a sudden Tigers fans act like Fielder will be out of baseball in two years and Kinsler is a hall of famer. I love baseball!

Delusional fans are everywhere. It's a good trade for both teams, I'm happy we can resign Scherzer.

3N16MA

Banned
Pretty simple, Rangers filled there need for a 1B with this move and it also opens up a spot for Profar to play everyday. They needed to move someone in order to get him to stay in the infield on a regular basis.

Tigers moved a big contract which saves them money to extend guys like Cabrera and Scherzer. Fielder's contract is not going to great when he is 34-35 getting paid 24M per season.

Rangers did it for the short term benefit and the need to find a spot for their #1 prospect. Tigers did it for the long term impact it has on the team.

Also $30M is being sent to the Rangers which makes the Rangers cost for Fielder 7/138 which is not crazy considering he is 29 and would probably command that or more in the FA market. Tigers save $76M in total

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Tigers get a player who was better than Fielder last year, have the money to resign their best SP and make other roster moves, and are able to move Cabrera to 1B which really had to happen.

It's a slam dunk win for them. Rangers are banking on Fielder not being washed up which seems like a poor bet to me.

Top Bottom