• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Zep

Banned
1052973.jpg

p09a.jpg

cashman

Banned
It's really about filling needs and they have a need for another OF and a C. Prince fills the need for a 1B but does nothing to cover an OF and C spot. I could ask the same question but replace 1B with OF and C.

Which looks better?

Fielder

or

Prospects + McCann + Beltran

7/138 nets you Ellsbury or less than that nets you Choo. All of this with prospects added in after Kinsler is traded.

How good would Fielder + McCann look. Besides I don't really think they'd get super promising prospects for Kinsler.

Holy shit, 7 more years? He'll be a rolling ball of useless in 3 years max.

You know, I almost wonder if this is a reactionary move after Boston won the WS. I mean yes obviously Texas needs another big AB. But it's almost as if after seeing David Ortiz's success that Daniels' must have the same ambitions in the long run for Fielder.

The two have drastically different body frames so who knows how it will work out. The deal isn't that bad after the 30 million Detroit gave.

I drank a lot tonight and I'm pretty happy about the Mavs win after coming back being down by 14 so who gives a shit about what I say.

clemenx

Banned
It surprises me pretty much nobody is mentioning keeping Profar as a huge positive for the Rangers. Pretty much everyone had already assumed that they'd have to trade one of their sexy young middle IF and were going to keep old man Kinsler there.

BFIB

It surprises me pretty much nobody is mentioning keeping Profar as a huge positive for the Rangers. Pretty much everyone had already assumed that they'd have to trade one of their sexy young middle IF and were going to keep old man Kinsler there.

Yep, all that talk about moving Andrus or Profar, and here its Kinsler.

Really hate that the Cards can't get one of them now, but man, I fucking love MLB offseason trades out of the blue like this.

agreed man. Profar is having a great time down in the Dominican Winter League. guy is ready

cashman

Banned
I thought every big leaguer hated Kinsler. Huh.
He is no way a AJP level douche. Kins was pretty well respected by his teammates in Texas.

Yep, all that talk about moving Andrus or Profar, and here its Kinsler.

Really hate that the Cards can't get one of them now, but man, I fucking love MLB offseason trades out of the blue like this.

Its a big reason why I'm pretty positive on this trade.

BFIB

Its a big reason why I'm pretty positive on this trade.

Its one of those trades that is eye opening at first glance, but once you let it sink in, your realize that it was a move that made sense for both teams.

Zep

Banned
Move Utley to 3rd and give Cano $300m, sounds good to me.

original.jpg

"disastah ridden alloverit"

Dude is becoming a liability at 2nd...It would be downright brutal at 3rd.

Now, signing Cano...Well, you know, "We GOT CLIFF LEE, WE GOT CLIFF FUCKING LEE" part deux!

Don't want to pay him $300 million. Plus it would be great to see Amaro hand out another albatross contract.

You dont think Cano will be good 10 years from now? Hell I dont even care about the end of contracts, would he have more good years then bad years in the next 10?

3N16MA

Banned
You dont think Cano will be good 10 years from now? Hell I dont even care about the end of contracts, would he have more good years then bad years in the next 10?

What do you consider a good year and what is a bad year? How much is he getting paid under this 10 year contract?

What do you consider a good year and what is a bad year? How much is he getting paid under this 10 year contract?

Lets say for the sake of argument the Phils were to sign him for 10 years $280m, how many of those years would he hit .300 with 25+ HRs and 90+ RBIs? The Phils lineup was not terrible the last 2 years, so numbers like those would be a huge boon for them. If he could do that 7 out of 10 years I would think that would be a great signing.

3N16MA

Banned
Lets say for the sake of argument the Phils were to sign him for 10 years $280m, how many of those years would he hit .300 with 25+ HRs and 90+ RBIs? The Phils lineup was not terrible the last 2 years, so numbers like those would be a huge boon for them. If he could do that 7 out of 10 years I would think that would be a great signing.

You would be looking for Cano to deliver around 5 WAR per season with that contract. Cano has produced 21.6 rWAR over the past 3 seasons and we will say he does that again over the next 3.

Years 1-3: 21.6 WAR

Cano is now 34 at this point and still playing 2B. I wouldn't expect him to produce 7 WAR seasons at age 34 while playing a middle infield position. He is most likely past his prime at this point and we will put him down for 10.0 WAR or 3.3 WAR per season for the next 3 seasons.

Years 4-6: 10.0 WAR

Cano is now 37 and maybe a 2 WAR player at best, his defense is nowhere like it once was and offensively how much do you expect from him? You know what a guy like Cal Ripken Jr. produced ar age 37-40? 5.3 WAR over those 4 seasons, do you expect Cano to be better?

Years 7-10: 5.3 WAR

Over the first 6 seasons you get what you paid for in this scenario but in the last 4 you're grossly over paying Cano, he is getting 112M and taking a roster spot (no DH in the NL) to produce 1.3 WAR per season.

Why give him 10 when 6-7 makes more sense?

I should add that I'm being generous to Cano that he can produce 21 WAR over the next 3 seasons.

Go ahead. We'll take somebody who actually hustles to 1st base and shows effort in the field.

Yankees are getting fleeced if they offer him more than 4 years.

Crazy, son.

6 years, 162 million for Cano. More money than Pedroia, less years than the omegacontracts extended to the Pujols/A-Rods/Teixeiras/Fielders of the world (because those things are probably not gonna happen anymore), and just expensive enough where anyone thinking they can just drop into the bidding since his market got screwed up by the Kinsler trade will hold back. He'd be the highest-paid 2B in the game, handsomely rewarded for being a great player offensively and defensively, but he wouldn't hamstring the Yankees for all eternity.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Royals have a press conference set at 5 today for a "major baseball related" announcement.

Gonna laugh when its Dayton Moore getting an extension.

Probably a Hosmer extension in all likelihood.

Fox318

Royals have a press conference set at 5 today for a "major baseball related" announcement.

Gonna laugh when its Dayton Moore getting an extension.

Probably a Hosmer extension in all likelihood.

Kauffman Stadium to be renamed Wal-Mart or Glass Field.

And they will proudly announce they they are cutting the payroll by 75%.

You would be looking for Cano to deliver around 5 WAR per season with that contract. Cano has produced 21.6 rWAR over the past 3 seasons and we will say he does that again over the next 3.

Years 1-3: 21.6 WAR

Cano is now 34 at this point and still playing 2B. I wouldn't expect him to produce 7 WAR seasons at age 34 while playing a middle infield position. He is most likely past his prime at this point and we will put him down for 10.0 WAR or 3.3 WAR per season for the next 3 seasons.

Years 4-6: 10.0 WAR

Cano is now 37 and maybe a 2 WAR player at best, his defense is nowhere like it once was and offensively how much do you expect from him? You know what a guy like Cal Ripken Jr. produced ar age 37-40? 5.3 WAR over those 4 seasons, do you expect Cano to be better?

Years 7-10: 5.3 WAR

Over the first 6 seasons you get what you paid for in this scenario but in the last 4 you're grossly over paying Cano, he is getting 112M and taking a roster spot (no DH in the NL) to produce 1.3 WAR per season.

Why give him 10 when 6-7 makes more sense?

I should add that I'm being generous to Cano that he can produce 21 WAR over the next 3 seasons.

6 goods years and hopefully a decent 7th doesnt seem to bad. I get what you are saying about signing him for 6 years but I imagine for a team like the Phils to get him to sign they would have to give him more then is probably reasonable.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JeffPassan
Sources: Royals sign LHP Jason Vargas. Was seeking a three-year deal.

MAJOR BASEBALL RELATED ANNOUNCEMENT

3 year deal for a guy who was totally mediocre while pitching in the best pitchers parks in baseball for the last 5 years.

edit: lol.
4 year/32 million deal for Vargas.

Top Bottom