• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

BFIB

Holy shit. Here I thought the Cards would offer up a deal that would send Adams/Miller to Texas for Andrus.

Well, at least that trade can still happen in my MLB; The Show offseason. Cards are going to resign Furcal aren't they? :(

Tenumi

Banned
As a casual baseball and Tigers fan, I can't say I expected this. On one hand, the bat lost will hurt a little. On the other hand, a solid second baseman with good defense and speed will definitely be beneficial, not to mention the ripple effect it'd cause on the lineup.

And yeah, if this means keeping Max Scherzer, I'm all for that.

What a dumb fucking trade by the Rangers. Fielder had one of the 5 worst contracts in baseball. I think i'd rather have Pujols.

Great for the Tigers. They free up money to potentially keep and re-up Scherzer, and on top of that they can move fatass Miggy to 1st and get a real 3B via draft or FA (Freese? Uribe?) and improve their team as a whole. I honestly thought Prince's contract would be untradeable. Detroit just got an early Christmas gift.

Branduil

As a casual baseball and Tigers fan, I can't say I expected this. On one hand, the bat lost will hurt a little. On the other hand, a solid second baseman with good defense and speed will definitely be beneficial, not to mention the ripple effect it'd cause on the lineup.

And yeah, if this means keeping Max Scherzer, I'm all for that.

His speed isn't that great any more. He was only successful on 15 of 26 stolen base attempts last year. Also he has a tendency to fall asleep and get picked off :/

cashman

Banned
What a dumb fucking trade by the Rangers. Fielder had one of the 5 worst contracts in baseball. I think i'd rather have Pujols.

Great for the Tigers. They free up money to potentially keep and re-up Scherzer, and on top of that they can move fatass Miggy to 1st and get a real 3B via draft or FA (Freese? Uribe?) and improve their team as a whole. I honestly thought Prince's contract would be untradeable. Detroit just got an early Christmas gift.

Getting Fielder at an AAV of under 20 million isn't a bad move though. And it frees up the middle infield logjam.

Getting Fielder at an AAV of under 20 million isn't a bad move though. And it frees up the middle infield logjam.

just saw the money changing hands. That makes it a bit better, but I just don't see Fielder aging well at all. I think his performance this year is the sign of a huge decline and for a guy on contract til 2020, that's got potential to get Ryan Howard bad as far as being an albatross.

Tenumi

Banned
His speed isn't that great any more. He was only successful on 15 of 26 stolen base attempts last year. Also he has a tendency to fall asleep and get picked off :/

That's still better than a 1 of 2 from Fielder. At the very least, he's a threat to potentially steal, not a joke.

Friggz

but hes signed until 2020 with a horrible body and has seen his OPS, bb%, and iso decline every year since 2010. Rangers have the money, but its not a good deal. Atleast this allows miggy to move to first.

Sanjuro

3 straight years of decline is...a steady decline

ibxMJVuYozOFQW.gif

Enron

Banned
Fielder had a season a few years ago where his numbers cratered and he bounced back from that.

Im not worried about him being able to bounce back from this. He's not even 30. If he were heading into his age 33 season i'd be worried.

Is Fielder even worth the money after the 30 million from the Tigers? Probably not. But look at what else is out there, power wise, in FA. Not a lot that can be plugged into 1B. If Fielder were a FA right now, he'd definitely command more than what the Rangers will effectively be paying him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Didn't Prince have a lot of off-the-field issues last year? I heard he was going through a particularly nasty divorce.

Yes, and the rumor was teammate Avisail Garcia was the reason for the divorce, which led to his trade from Detroit.

3N16MA

Banned
Prince needs to have outstanding seasons on offense because his defense is fucking horrid. When it comes down to it, the Rangers are going to spend 76M more to have Fielder than keep Kinsler.

3N16MA

Banned
Still think the Tigers got the better end of this deal.

EDIT: Just realized that Kisnler is horrid outside of Arlington. Wouldn't be surprised to see a decent drop in his production hitting in Detroit.

3N16MA

Banned
Look at it this way, the Rangers could have traded Kinsler for prospects and then spent the 138M elsewhere. 138M would net them McCann and Beltran while moving Kinsler still opens up a spot for Profar.

3N16MA

Banned
Who would they sign to play 1st base?

It's really about filling needs and they have a need for another OF and a C. Prince fills the need for a 1B but does nothing to cover an OF and C spot. I could ask the same question but replace 1B with OF and C.

Which looks better?

Fielder

or

Prospects + McCann + Beltran

7/138 nets you Ellsbury or less than that nets you Choo. All of this with prospects added in after Kinsler is traded.

Zep

Banned
Wait a minute...Who's paying Jacoby Ellsbury $138 million?!

please refrain from Amaro jokes/pictures

Branduil

It's really about filling needs and they have a need for another OF and a C. Prince fills the need for a 1B but does nothing to cover an OF and C spot. I could ask the same question but replace 1B with OF and C.

Which looks better?

Fielder

or

Prospects + McCann + Beltran

7/138 nets you Ellsbury or less than that nets you Choo. All of this with prospects added in after Kinsler is traded.

This trade doesn't stop them from getting McCann or Beltran.

Top Bottom