• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Meh. It's 8mm a year. They can dump him 2-3 years down the way without blinking.

The concern is the lost roster spot which could have been given to a better pitcher. But even then, I don't know if they were comfortable committing more money in the next year or two to get someone better. It's not a terrible deal in a vacuum, it just probably doesn't make the royals better.

3N16MA

Banned
Meh. It's 8mm a year. They can dump him 2-3 years down the way without blinking.

The concern is the lost roster spot which could have been given to a better pitcher. But even then, I don't know if they were comfortable committing more money in the next year or two to get someone better. It's not a terrible deal in a vacuum, it just probably doesn't make the royals better.

Maybe they can dump him or maybe he is so horrible that no one wants him. It just makes no sense to give a back end starter 4 years as guys like him can be picked up on 1-2 contracts.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Maybe they can dump him or maybe he is so horrible that no one wants him. It just makes no sense to give a back end starter 4 years as guys like him can be picked up on 1-2 contracts.

I'm ambivalent enough about this contract that instead of typing an actual response I'll just link you to Dave Cameron's take on it, since I basically agree with everything there.

I would also add that the FA SPs still on the market are either riskier or going to cost a lot more per year than Vargas, and there's a good chance that Jason provides the best value/$ and consistency of any of the options that they can afford.

4 years sounds like a lot, but the risk is minimal and it provides certainty at a position where the Royals have struggled to develop their own players.

I'm pretty sure if the Indians signed this deal no one would care. I like to make fun of DM as much as anyone, but I'm not seeing it this time.

Branduil

If the Rangers can get McCann, I wonder if they will use a platoon solution for 1B/DH. If they re-sign Jeff Baker, they could put Prince at 1st and McCann/Soto at DH versus RHP, and put Baker at 1st and Prince at DH versus lefties.

Branduil

I wonder how much Choo will get. He hits like a god versus righties but his numbers drop to sub-replacement level against LHP. How much do you want to pay a 1.000 OPS lefty platoon hitter?

aFIGurANT

I wonder how much Choo will get. He hits like a god versus righties but his numbers drop to sub-replacement level against LHP. How much do you want to pay a 1.000 OPS lefty platoon hitter?

He's going to make about as much as Ellsbury because he's still serviceable vs. lefties and like you said he crushes everything else. The only thing holding him back from being next to Cano is that he doesn't play CF well.

3N16MA

Banned
I posted this before but I will do it again.

Choo:

2008-2010: 1701 PA, .398 wOBA, 142 wRC+, 15.1 rWAR/13.8 fWAR

2011-2013: 1756 PA, .366 wOBA, 134 wRC+, 9.3 rWAR/9.0 fWAR

His numbers vs lefties has taken a serious hit and he has become horrible in the field. You may want to chalk that up to him playing CF which he is not very good at. However he was also horrible in RF the season before that.

This past season probably added another year and 30M+ to Choo's contract. Did anyone think he would hit 100M before the season started? He was a candidate to get a 5 year deal at 75M, better than Swisher because Swisher's 5th year is not guaranteed. Choo could have gotten a team option for a 6th year or perhaps he even lands a 5/80 deal.

Now I see 6/110 and 6/120 being thrown around for Choo. Does he keep on declining? Well he is 31 and OFs usually don't get better as they head into their mid 30's.

Also when you look at what Swisher did from 2009-2012, he is not that far removed from Choo's numbers over the same period:

Choo: .289/.382/.458, .368 wOBA/132 wRC+, 16.5 rWAR/14.5 fWAR

Swisher: .268/.367/.483, .370 wOBA/128 wRC+, 11.4 rWAR/14.4 fWAR

Steamer also predicts a 3.2 WAR for Choo next season and 2.9 for Swisher.

I like Choo, I think he is a good hitter who is declining but still good enough to produce some 3 WAR seasons. What I don't like is how much his contract could have ballooned because of 1 season.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Waaaay late but had no idea that Dee Gordon was Tom Flash Gordon's son

aFIGurANT

No one is paying him to play CF.

Right that's the only reason he's not going to get mega bucks though. His OBP and batter's eye are the exact kind of "new-age" stats that GMs care about. I think they could care less about WAR and how he compares to Swisher in that department because a lot of GMs seem to care mostly about 2nd-tier stats (OPS/OBP/BB%) in this age. Maybe it's just me but I think his market price will be huge because people care about some of the proven "grit" or w/e at the plate. And yes he will play a corner OF spot for whoever signs him.

I posted this before but I will do it again.

Choo:

2008-2010: 1701 PA, .398 wOBA, 142 wRC+, 15.1 rWAR/13.8 fWAR

2011-2013: 1756 PA, .366 wOBA, 134 wRC+, 9.3 rWAR/9.0 fWAR

His numbers vs lefties has taken a serious hit and he has become horrible in the field. You may want to chalk that up to him playing CF which he is not very good at. However he was also horrible in RF the season before that.

This past season probably added another year and 30M+ to Choo's contract. Did anyone think he would hit 100M before the season started? He was a candidate to get a 5 year deal at 75M, better than Swisher because Swisher's 5th year is not guaranteed. Choo could have gotten a team option for a 6th year or perhaps he even lands a 5/80 deal.

Now I see 6/110 and 6/120 being thrown around for Choo. Does he keep on declining? Well he is 31 and OFs usually don't get better as they head into their mid 30's.

Also when you look at what Swisher did from 2009-2012, he is not that far removed from Choo's numbers over the same period:

Choo: .289/.382/.458, .368 wOBA/132 wRC+, 16.5 rWAR/14.5 fWAR

Swisher: .268/.367/.483, .370 wOBA/128 wRC+, 11.4 rWAR/14.4 fWAR

Steamer also predicts a 3.2 WAR for Choo next season and 2.9 for Swisher.

I like Choo, I think he is a good hitter who is declining but still good enough to produce some 3 WAR seasons. What I don't like is how much his contract could have ballooned because of 1 season.

More teams have more money to spend. The market is going to get crazy inflated this offseason, which is going to be fun to watch because this isn't a particularly strong FA class. Watch Ricky Nolasco actually get that $80 million his agent was supposedly asking for lol

3N16MA

Banned
Right that's the only reason he's not going to get mega bucks though. His OBP and batter's eye are the exact kind of "new-age" stats that GMs care about. I think they could care less about WAR and how he compares to Swisher in that department because a lot of GMs seem to care mostly about 2nd-tier stats (OPS/OBP/BB%) in this age. Maybe it's just me but I think his market price will be huge because people care about some of the proven "grit" or w/e at the plate. And yes he will play a corner OF spot for whoever signs him.

You think GMs dont care about WAR? Also my post was just my analysis not what GMs think.

aFIGurANT

You think GMs dont care about WAR? Also my post was just my analysis not what GMs think.

I was responding more to Dominican Power than you, but I don't think some of these guys consider it, yes. Their scouting/research departments do I'm sure but I don't think everyone is getting paid based on the formula for how many million dollars a Win is worth and the projections from Steamer on what their WAR will be, no. Baseball is still not a numbers only game and Choo is a great example of that. He'll get paid near 150 million to be a slightly better Swisher because of his intangibles or whatever you want to call it.

3N16MA

Banned
I was responding more to Dominican Power than you, but I don't think some of these guys consider it, yes. Their scouting/research departments do I'm sure but I don't think everyone is getting paid based on the formula for how many million dollars a Win is worth and the projections from Steamer on what their WAR will be, no. Baseball is still not a numbers only game and Choo is a great example of that. He'll get paid near 150 million to be a slightly better Swisher because of his intangibles or whatever you want to call it.

Swisher was Mr. Intangibles. Clubhouse presence was through the roof and I like to give him 90% credit for the 09 WS.

Pretty certain the successful front offices all have their own proprietary metrics that they go by instead of public sabr stats that we plebs debate over. GMs that rely on OPS/OBP/BB% solely are the ones left in the dust.

Branduil

Pretty certain the successful front offices all have their own proprietary metrics that they go by instead of public sabr stats that we plebs debate over. GMs that rely on OPS/OBP/BB% solely are the ones left in the dust.

You don't know anything about a player without first knowing his LAR(Leadership above replacement) and GAR(Grit above replacement).

BFIB

Freese and Salas gone? Wonder if Bourjos will push Jay into a bench role instead of a straight platoon.

Angels have the colors. They now have Pujols and Freese. Its 2011 all over again in Anaheim.

I'm sad to see Freese go, but it was time. Tremendous upside when healthy. Same with Bourjous. CF had to be addressed, and now it has been.

Angels have the colors. They now have Pujols and Freese. Its 2011 all over again in Anaheim.

I'm sad to see Freese go, but it was time. Tremendous upside when healthy. Same with Bourjous. CF had to be addressed, and now it has been.

Freese will probably never have to pay for a meal again in his life if he retires and comes back to Saint Louis. Will never forget '11.

Interested in Grichuk, John Manuel puts him at #10 on Cards prospects which was way better than I would have expected

So now the depth chart at third is Marp/Descalso for the Cards? Eew. I imagine there aren't many options for a RH 3Bman with pop if Freese was drawing such interest
still eternally grateful for Oct 2011, however

Cardinals ripped The Angels off. I'm not surprised. That means that they're going to call Tavarez to play RF? Craig/Burjos/Tavarez and Adams to 1B.

BFIB

If Taveras is in RF, Craig will be at 1B (Holliday LF/Bourjos CF/Taveras RF). Don't know what will happen with Adams.

My guess is Taveras starts in AAA. Guy never really was able to get going last year due to the injuries. We have enough for our big league roster, I think he gets a year of seasoning, which also is another year where the Cards don't have to pay him.

What's interesting is what is done with Jay. Sugar Shane is a fine 4th OF option, so Jay may be expendable now.

Opiate

Bourjos is right handed. That's not a Jon Jay replacement -- that's a platoon if I ever saw one. By their powers combined, a mediocre center field becomes a pretty good one. If one of them dramatically overperforms and takes the job full time, that's not a problem, either.

Add in that the Cardinals got a real prospect (albeit not a predestined all star) for a mediocre reliever the Cardinals don't need, and I'd strongly argue this is a solid trade for the Cardinals.

Top Bottom