• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

My guess is Taveras starts in AAA. Guy never really was able to get going last year due to the injuries. We have enough for our big league roster, I think he gets a year of seasoning, which also is another year where the Cards don't have to pay him.

What's interesting is what is done with Jay. Sugar Shane is a fine 4th OF option, so Jay may be expendable now.

It probably depends on whether or not Adams is traded. I know Mo wants him to get a lot more ABs, so I'm not sure that he'll get traded (especially since Texas probably isn't trading Andrus or Profar).

The thing is, we have Stephen Piscotty coming up too (thanks Pujols!) and it sounds like he'll play AAA next season. He did pretty well in RF in the AFL. It's a good problem to have, for sure, though.

aFIGurANT

Nemss: jay is not going to net half of what freese just got us, if you ask me. I see him as the bench piece we were projecting freese to be. And you're on point on what this means for OT.

I'm a little iffy on the left-half of our infield. Maybe it's just me, but I thought (before and now after this trade) that SS was our weakest position. Freese wasn't an amazing 3B, but this deal certainly doesn't make us any stronger in that spot. I think this is a positive trade overall, but I'm still holding my breath for something good to happen to our infield. I'll miss Freese too, but this was probably the right thing to do.

BFIB

I'm a little iffy on the left-half of our infield. Maybe it's just me, but I thought (before and now after this trade) that SS was our weakest position. Freese wasn't an amazing 3B, but this deal certainly doesn't make us any stronger in that spot. I think this is a positive trade overall, but I'm still holding my breath for something good to happen to our infield. I'll miss Freese too, but this was probably the right thing to do.

Well, 3B is MCarp's natural position, so now you can set up Wong for 2B. Though I think Wong looked a little overmatched, and I'm not exactly feeling great about tossing him at 2B for an everyday spot.

aFIGurANT

Well, 3B is MCarp's natural position, so now you can set up Wong for 2B. Though I think Wong looked a little overmatched, and I'm not exactly feeling great about tossing him at 2B for an everyday spot.

Mo addressed that point in his presser saying that ST is still a very open competition (presumably Wong vs. MCarp if Wong suddenly lost his wood) and that he's not done making deals. A deal that addresses SS won't necessarily impact the 3B/2B situation but he's saying that no one is guaranteed anything yet.

And an edit just to say: yes 3B is now pretty much Matt Carpenter's and Wong better perform....

bozeman

I don't remember if it was this years version or last year's, but seeing Matt Carpenter as the lowest rated player in the entire Cardinals ORGANIZATION in MLB the Show tells me not to worry too much about how a young guy performs in his first month in the big leagues with very limited playing time since the team was in a pennant chase.

Huge Cards fan, sad to see David go, but this looks like a great move for he and the Cards, that was a rough year. Dumping Salas is great, surprised they could actually get anything for him. At least the roads in StL will be safer during the season.

My guess is Taveras starts in AAA. Guy never really was able to get going last year due to the injuries. We have enough for our big league roster, I think he gets a year of seasoning, which also is another year where the Cards don't have to pay him.

What's interesting is what is done with Jay. Sugar Shane is a fine 4th OF option, so Jay may be expendable now.
It'll be interesting to see how this affects Tavera's debut. I don't agree with keeping him in AAA all season if he's healthy and raking in Memphis. If things are going well, he should be up in STL before the ASB. If nothing else, we have another solid backup plan in CF if Oscar can't reasonably play the position in the majors.

And I think Robinson gets the bump from the roster instead of Jay. Bourjos is, for all intents and purposes, a better version of Sugar. Jay is the most talented hitter of the Jay/Robinson/Bourjos trio and I'd rather keep one LHB and one RHB instead of two RHBs.

nice low-risk move for the Mets. If he bounces back he can be flipped like the Mets did with Byrd.

And the Mets absolutely need Peralta. They have to get him, even at the risk of a overpay.

3N16MA

Banned
nice low-risk move for the Mets. If he bounces back he can be flipped like the Mets did with Byrd.

And the Mets absolutely need Peralta. They have to get him, even at the risk of a overpay.

4-5 years is not exactly low risk on a guy coming off a PED suspension. Peratla has been up and down throughout his career which makes him somewhat of a risk. Did anyone think he would get 4-5 years after his suspension? The Tigers did not even give him a QO which is kind of weird.

I was penciling Peralta in with the Yanks while creating some mock lineups. However I thought he would get a 3 year deal.

4-5 years is not exactly low risk on a guy coming off a PED suspension. Peratla has been up and down throughout his career which makes him somewhat of a risk. Did anyone think he would get 4-5 years after his suspension? The Tigers did not even give him a QO which is kind of weird.
I meant Chris Young.
I was penciling Peralta in with the Yanks while creating some mock lineups. However I thought he would get a 3 year deal.
Peralta fills in the Mets SS vacany very nicely, and it's not like they haven't had success signing former PED users. :D 4/54 isn't a crippling deal for the Mets.

Worse. They may have interest in Arroyo.
ikn9ay0ok4leebdjs9.gif

3N16MA

Banned
When he says "long term" I hope he means 4 years. Who am I kidding? He will sign for 5-6.

EDIT: Ken Rosenthal says a deal is not close at this time but Yanks are having serious discussions with McCann.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Get that money Brian. Apparently the Rockies made a late move for him. Seems they're itching to throw some money around. Hey Colorado, seeing as you need an upgrade at second, I've got this nice, slightly used Uggla to sell you.

3N16MA

Banned
Really want to know of the option is really vesting or a team option. I hope he needs to do something crazy to get it to kick in.

Top Bottom