• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Friggz

Wouldn't be surprised if romine will be the backup for him over the next three years, they trade murphy, let Sanchez develop for 3 years in the minors, after 3 years move Mccann to first, let Sanchez catch.

cervelli is probably going to be his "platoon" partner. Hes a career (although only 200 PA) .305 .402 .389 .791 against southpaws. Also a good way to allow mccann to stay behind the plate longer if he is given some more rest.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wish the Braves were more aggressive in trading away their cheap relievers. There's money in these streets.

RBH

bs19.jpg

:'(

Opiate

The Peralta deal is perhaps the least-bad option. I understand your hesitation, Nemss, but I'd be interested in what you would recommend as an alternative, outside of magical Adams-for-Toliwitzki trades, for example.

It will depend significantly on how much money they get them and -- even more importantly -- how many years. I'd rather "overpay" for 2-3 years than pay for 4+, because I honestly do not know what else the Cardinals can do with the 45M they've saved from Carpenter, Westbrook, Beltran, Furcal, and Freeze. I mean, there just isn't any palatable option.

The Rockies supposedly stepped up their offer for McCann after they lost out on Ruiz, but weren't willing to go to a fifth guaranteed year. They had the second-highest offer behind the Yankees.

Cardinals and Jhonny Peralta have agreed on a 4-year, $52 million deal.

Some of these offseason contracts have been fucking nuts. McCann's deal with the Yankees has actually turned out to be the most reasonable.

Blue Jays are close to acquiring Jeff Samardzija from the Cubs. They are attempting to piece together a package of players that the Cubs will accept.

Opiate

Yep, I don't like that deal. I'm much less concerned with the money than the years. 13m/year is completely fine for a projected 3 WAR player, but 4 years is a long time in Cardinals ball. Still, given the position we were in, I'm not sure we had the luxury of waiting for the best possible deal.

Yep, I don't like that deal. I'm much less concerned with the money than the years. 13m/year is completely fine for a projected 3 WAR player, but 4 years is a long time in Cardinals ball. Still, given the position we were in, I'm not sure we had the luxury of waiting for the best possible deal.

I definitely would have preferred 3/39 or so, but given the market this was an okay move even if I don't particularly like it.

At the very least, Peralta seems like a versatile player who can play SS, LF, and 3B, so that makes me a little less worried about the 4 years.

That, and we have a shortstop now and don't get caught with our pants down and all of the shortstops unavailable next year.

RGVNOE

How can the Cardinals afford him!?

They're no longer paying Beltran, Chris Carpenter, Jake Westbrook, Furcal, Mujica, that's was over 40M a year between those 5.

I definitely would have preferred 3/39 or so, but given the market this was an okay move even if I don't particularly like it.

At the very least, Peralta seems like a versatile player who can play SS, LF, and 3B, so that makes me a little less worried about the 4 years.

That, and we have a shortstop now and don't get caught with our pants down and all of the shortstops unavailable next year.

yea I was hoping the contract was less, but he's still an upgrade from the Koz/Descalso platoon, and we didn't wind up losing any players or draft pick for him so I'm ok with this.

Opiate

They're no longer paying Beltran, Chris Carpenter, Jake Westbrook, Furcal, Mujica, that's was over 40M a year between those 5.

And Freese, who made 3.1M this year and is arbitration eligible, and therefore will be making 4-5M next year. It's about 45M off the books with virtually nothing to spend the money on. Taveras/Bourjos are coming to replace Beltran, with Allen Craig / Matt Adams causing a further glut of outfield possibilities; Chris Carpenter, Westbrook and Mujica have already been very effectively replaced; Wong/Carpenter are replacing Freese at considerably lower cost as well. The Cardinals front office is so good that it's difficult to even imagine where to spend the money.

Opiate

Sanjuro is fond of the "money doesn't matter" argument, which is of course convenient for someone who is a fan of Boston, but which isn't actually very compatible with the empirical evidence. It's possible it may be valid within a decade, though.

zychi

Banned
I love that hypocrisy of Cardinal fans "we're home grown, we dont have PED users, we're a small market team"

then they sign Jhonny, "PEDS dont matter, all teams sign big free agents, what do you mean I was ripping detroit and boston for having ped users?"

I love that hypocrisy of Cardinal fans "we're home grown, we dont have PED users, we're a small market team"

then they sign Jhonny, "PEDS dont matter, all teams sign big free agents, what do you mean I was ripping detroit and boston for having ped users?"

Yeah, it's not like there's a part of Busch Stadium literally dedicated to one of the most prominent steroid users of the late 90s/early 00s.

Signing Peralta is hardly the first offense. Some Cardinal fans do have the "holier than thou" attitude, though, which I find ridiculous given that many of them were probably cheering for McGwire a decade ago. But every fanbase has horrible fans - the Cardinals are not exception.

The Cardinals have a top 10 payroll so basically money doesn't matter to them either.

Number 11, actually (little difference between 10 and 11 though)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sanjuro is fond of the "money doesn't matter" argument, which is of course convenient for someone who is a fan of Boston, but which isn't actually very compatible with the empirical evidence.
The Cardinals have a top 10 payroll so basically money doesn't matter to them either.

Peralta said he had two 5-year, $75 million offers on the table, but chose the Cardinals because he wanted to play for St. Louis more than the other two teams, which he did not name. It's believed the other two teams who made the 5yr/$75m offers were the Mariners and the Mets.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Peralta said he had two 5-year, $75 million offers on the table, but chose the Cardinals because he wanted to play for St. Louis more than the other two teams, which he did not name. It's believed the other two teams who made the 5yr/$75m offers were the Mariners and the Mets.
If true, dodged that bullet.

just throwing it out there but I'm curious: Cardinal fans, if you could give that exact same contract to Beltran instead of Peralta, even though Carlos is older than dirt, would you do it?

Nah thats just bs. I dont buy that for a second.

just throwing it out there but I'm curious: Cardinal fans, if you could give that exact same contract to Beltran instead of Peralta, even though Carlos is older than dirt, would you do it?
If Carlos could play SS, maybe.

The scarcity at the SS position is what led to this overpayment of a deal. The backend of the deal is going to probably look terrible and he may not stick at SS for the duration of the contract. But I'd rather the Cards overpay in money than to overpay in prospects in a trade.

Running Kozma out there for 150+ games wasn't a reasonable option and hoping Greg Garcia can do the job is a big risk move with no safety net. Now Peralta is plan A with Kozma/Garcia serving as plans B/C.

BFIB

No, but I'm not a big fan of the Peralta signing myself. Says how high the demands were for SS on the trade market though.

Top Bottom