• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

But does 14 losses and a 4.67 ERA really cost $10 million?

Everybody is overpaid. The fact that it's a one year deal is why it is inconsequential. The Dodgers had like $80 million on the DL at any given point this season. It's basically a $10 million lottery ticket and it won't impact any moves down the line as it's only 1 year. Not a signing I would make, but it's not horrible.

How many front offices base personnel decisions on losses and ERA nowadays?

Biggest question is whether or not his HR problem is fixable. Second biggest question is his health. Neither bodes particularly well for a pitcher his age but it's a one year deal and the Dodgers are made of money. They can afford the flyer.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
kqXdC4g.gif

3N16MA

Banned

Dodgers are probably looking at what he did during the 2nd half of the season:

8.22 K/9, 1.64 BB/9, 1.06 HR/9, 3.30 FIP, 3.37 xFIP

That looks like the old Haren and Dodger Stadium is favourable to pitchers. He also gets to pitch in AT&T and Petco.

Dodgers are probably looking at what he did during the 2nd half of the season:

8.22 K/9, 1.64 BB/9, 1.06 HR/9, 3.30 FIP, 3.37 xFIP

That looks like the old Haren and Dodger Stadium is favourable to pitchers. He also gets to pitch in AT&T and Petco.
Especially with both Billingsley and Beckett out it's an okay deal. He's only taking Capuano's spot.

So with no Peralta for the Mets who can they sign at SS?
That leaves the free-agent shortstop market very thin for the Mets, who would like to find an external replacement for Ruben Tejada.

Stephen Drew clearly is above the Mets' spending appetite. And the choices become very thin after that.

Rafael Furcal missed all of last season recovering from Tommy John surgery, and Sandy Alderson said last week that it's not even clear if Furcal has started throwing. Other shortstops on the free-agent board include ex-Met Ronny Cedeno, who has no chance of being asked back, as well as Clint Barmes, Cesar Izturis, Munenori Kawasaki and John McDonald.

Considering that group, the Mets might have to address shortstop via trade or just forget about an upgrade from Tejada, who has been attending a fitness camp outside of Ann Arbor, Mich., this month along with Lucas Duda.

The Mets had hoped Peralta's Biogenesis suspension would limit bidding, but the scarcity of shortstops proved otherwise. Alderson and crew had met in person with Peralta and his reps at the GM Meetings in Orlando, Fla., two weeks ago.
Stephen Drew? WAY too expensive.
Ronny Cedeno? lol
Clint Barmes? Maybe 5-6 years ago.
Cesar Izturis? ehhhhh...
John McDonald? WHO?
Munenori Kawasaki? AHAHHHAHHAHAHHHAAHAHHAHAHAHHA

... fuck

Syrinx

Ronny Cedeno? lol
Cesar Izturis? ehhhhh...
John McDonald? WHO?

... fuck
Yeah looks like they're just gonna have to stick it out with Tejada for the time being and hope he at least works out the defensive issues he had last season.

Opiate

Ronny Cedeno? lol
Cesar Izturis? ehhhhh...
John McDonald? WHO?

... fuck

This is why the Cardinals 13/year for Peralta doesn't seem nearly so bad to me. The other options were 1) Sign Drew, who likely would cost more (Boras) and also cost a first round draft pick while statistically being worse than Peralta over the last three years, or 2) Sign one of the others mentioned who are basically projected to 0 WAR or 3) Trade for someone, and the trade requirements seem extremely high for SS right now.

Of the available options, signing Peralta for slightly too much (specifically, slightly too much time) is easily the least bad option for a team unwilling to sacrifice its future in trades or draft picks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
This is why the Cardinals 13/year for Peralta doesn't seem nearly so bad to me. The other options were 1) Sign Drew, who likely would cost more (Boras) and also cost a first round draft pick while statistically being worse than Peralta over the last three years, or 2) Sign one of the others mentioned who are basically projected to 0 WAR or 3) Trade for someone, and the trade requirements seem extremely high for SS right now.

Of the available options, signing Peralta for slightly too much (specifically, slightly too much time) is easily the least bad option for a team unwilling to sacrifice its future in trades or draft picks.

It is the length that makes me say meh..

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I agree completely, that's what gives me pause as well. What would you suggest as a superior alternative?

Well if you had 13 on the table maybe 16 for 2 with a club option for 18 on the 3rd year.. Maybe they tried that who knows...

Opiate

Well if you had 13 on the table maybe 16 for 2 with a club option for 18 on the 3rd year.. Maybe they tried that who knows...

According to reports he already had at least one deal on the table for 4 years. If that's true -- and I'm not at all surprised it is, given the dearth of available shortstops -- then offering Peralta 2 years (even at 16m) would not have been acceptable.

In other words, Peralta for 4 years it the least-bad realistically viable solution. I too would love to sign Peralta for 2 years at 12m/year, or trade a few decent-but-not-great pieces for Troy Tulowitzki or something, but it's apparent that wasn't available. The other options didn't include those things, as the Mets' situation readily shows. The other decent option in the market, Stephen Drew, is likely to go for more than this (despite not being clearly better or much younger or less injury prone) and also cost a draft pick. After that, the free agent options are effectively non-existent and you might as well stick with your mediocre replacement level shortstop from AAA.

BFIB

I've had a day or so to really let this Peralta deal sink in some.

While I do applaud Mo for filling in our needs without giving up one of the big building blocks, I'm just not convinced that Peralta will be an effective SS two years from now. Which leaves the Cards right where they started: looking for a young, cost controlled SS, while still sitting on the Peralta deal for two more years. I don't believe he has a NTC, so he could be shopped in a few years, depending on how things play out.

Cards are getting blasted (rightfully so), regarding the length and money involved in the deal, for a guy that just came off a PED suspension. But I think the way the Cards FO looked at it, they'd rather take the heat on the signing, which will be forgotten in no time (already partly done so, with the Doyers giving a broken down Haren $10 mil), which brings up my second point, which is that they would rather spend more on the FA market, then get a rental (Hardy), or vastly overpay (Aybar) for a SS.

While I do applaud Mo for filling in our needs without giving up one of the big building blocks, I'm just not convinced that Peralta will be an effective SS two years from now. Which leaves the Cards right where they started: looking for a young, cost controlled SS, while still sitting on the Peralta deal for two more years. I don't believe he has a NTC, so he could be shopped in a few years, depending on how things play out.
The bolded is the key to all of this. With the way free agent prices are soaring, young and cheap talent is more valuable than ever. And yet, having a gaping hole at SS gave Mozeliak very little leverage in trades. Oh, you want a one year rental of JJ Hardy? Shelby Miller straight up lol.

Similar to how the Kinsler/Fielder trade put the Rangers back in the driver's seat when fielding offers for Profar/Andrus, the Cards no longer have to trade away their young talent to plug a hole so they can afford to ask for more when other teams come knocking on their door.

Opiate

The bolded is the key to all of this. With the way free agent prices are soaring, young and cheap talent is more valuable than ever. And yet, having a gaping hole at SS gave Mozeliak very little leverage in trades. Oh, you want a one year rental of JJ Hardy? Shelby Miller straight up lol.

Similar to how the Kinsler/Fielder trade put the Rangers back in the driver's seat when fielding offers for Profar/Andrus, the Cards no longer have to trade away their young talent to plug a hole so they can afford to ask for more when other teams come knocking on their door.

Exactly my feeling. While my initial reaction was negative, I'm failing to see a better alternative in the new reality market for shortstops. Drew will likely cost more without actually being much better; potential trading partners seemed to be asking for very good, young, cost controlled talent even for rentals, let alone for someone like Tulowitzki; the rest of the available market was only marginally better than replacement, if not worse; and the available shortstop market next year doesn't look much better, either.

It isn't so much that I think this deal is great, but it seems to be the least bad realistic option. When I ask people what the Cardinals should have done instead, there doesn't seem to be a palatable choice. In that environment, a choice like this -- an okay signing that is probably a year too long or maybe 2M/year too high -- is about as good as it's going to get.

Cards GM Mozeliak on Peralta:

We factored in the suspension, sure. Jhonny admitted wrongdoing and served his penality. We are not about to appoint ourselves morality police. We are confident that was an isolated circumstance.

I should know this but never looked into it. What happens if, say, Peralta gets a second suspension for another failed drug test in the coming year? Does STL still pay his contract or do they recoup the money for the time he is suspended? I've never looked into the contracts related to suspensions.

I should know this but never looked into it. What happens if, say, Peralta gets a second suspension for another failed drug test in the coming year? Does STL still pay his contract or do they recoup the money for the time he is suspended? I've never looked into the contracts related to suspensions.

PED suspensions are unpaid.

Opiate

He won't get paid and the Cardinals get to keep the money.

On another note, 2016 will be the next real "crunch" year for the Cardinals when a host of aging players have their contracts reaching fruition.

Sounds like Peralta's contract will be front loaded.

The salary drops to $10 million in the final season. It's going to be $15ish for the first year.
by Derrick Goold
That might have been a deciding factor in Peralta choosing the Cards over the other teams bidding for his services. Peralta gets more money upfront and the Cards have a more trade-able contract in years 3 and 4, assuming Peralta doesn't fall off a cliff performance-wise.

jakncoke

Banned
wow we traded away Alex Dickerson? Did not expect that.

Also looking like the Gerret Jones era is over and Kyle McPherson got DFA as well

Also on Alex Dickson interesting they moved him from 1B to the OF this year, I guess with how many OF we have in the system he no longer that valueable to us, wonder why he got moved.

jakncoke

Banned

Ronny Cedeno? lol
Cesar Izturis? ehhhhh...
John McDonald? WHO?

... fuck

Funny 3 out of this list had playing time with the Pirates. Barmes still has D though. And fuck John McDonald and his 2 for 31 time with the Pirates

Top Bottom