• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

I'm not gonna say something dumb like "good riddance" but I sure as hell want no part of that contract.

Yankees infield is a shitshow right now though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Did you forget that we had just Cano last year?
It's not Cano's fault the rest of the team was old & busted. McCann is a huge upgrade at catcher, I'm not sure Ellsbury makes a giant difference in the outfield production. Going from Cano to whomever else at 2nd is a massive downgrade. It just seems like a wash to me. *shrug*

I agree 10 years is pretty stupid, but still. It's not like the Yankees are hurting for money. $24 million a year in 2022-2024 is a drop in the bucket. Oh well.

knicks

This is such a bizarre contract.

I don't understand MLB organizations. The guy is 31. How can you give him a 10 year contract. He has a solid 3 or 4 great more years. And if Cano got thrown under a steroid report a couple of years from now, how could you be surprised.

Malo

Banned
It's not Cano's fault the rest of the team was old & busted. McCann is a huge upgrade at catcher, I'm not sure Ellsbury makes a giant difference in the outfield production. Going from Cano to whomever else at 2nd is a massive downgrade. It just seems like a wash to me. *shrug*

I agree 10 years is pretty stupid, but still. It's not like the Yankees are hurting for money. $24 million a year in 2022-2024 is a drop in the bucket. Oh well.
Going from Ichiro and Wells to Tacoby is a massive upgrade. And it's obvious the Yankees wanted nothing to do with giving out another ten year contract and I'm glad they didn't.

rando14

Still cant believe hegot over 200 mill when the Mariners were bidding against themselves....

this. how did he sneak in another year lol

I don't understand MLB organizations. The guy is 31. How can you give him a 10 year contract. He has a solid 3 or 4 great more years. And if Cano got thrown under a steroid report a couple of years from now, how could you be surprised.

probably praying an arod situation happens and we can get out earlier than 10!!

They're already paying bad contract years for players. They'd be booked through 2024 with this.

jman2050

I'm not going to laud the Yankees' fiscal responsibility for avoiding an obvious black hole of a contract when they just gave Slappy McPillsbury 150 million for no good reason.

hemtae

I think this is more about making a statement signing than actual value. From other stuff it sounds like the mariners were pretty desperate.

ReMaKe

I'm glad he left the Yankees. Go make that money Cano. The way the Yankees handled this whole situation was really disrespectful.

rando14

have any of our big free agency contracts ever worked out? Richie sexson, carlos silva, jerrod washburn...

I think this is more about making a statement signing than actual value. From other stuff it sounds like the mariners were pretty desperate.

yup they're showing that they're changing the culture of the club. the contract itself is terrible but they needed to sign a big free agent

BFIB

Just to think, the Angels could sign Trout right now to the same deal. Trout would be 32 then when the contract expires, and Cano just got a 10 year deal and he's 31.

jman2050

Can't wait for Dave Cameron's tunnel-vision induced "Count up the WARs" article as to why this is a totally great signing that is a fair deal to both player and team!

EDIT - Hell he managed to do the same thing with the Ellsbury contract despite outright saying it was an overpay because "oh it's the Yankees and thus they pay a premium, so it's all right!"

El_Chino

Yeah, 10 years was not worth. Yankees stated they weren't going to go anywhere near A-Rod's contract. I mean look how well that Pujol's contract is working out so far...

Can't wait for Dave Cameron's tunnel-vision induced "Count up the WARs" article as to why this is a totally great signing that is a fair deal to both player and team!

Not WARs-tastic yet, but it's a start:

10 years, $240 million for Robinson Cano. The Mariners are all-in on big splashes. Let’s hope it works out better than it did for every other team who has tried this recently.
Robinson Cano makes the Mariners better. Hopefully, he makes them better enough real soon for this to be worth it before this contract turns into a total albatross. I don’t see a contending roster even with Cano, but maybe by the end of the winter, the Mariners will have a team that justifies this kind of go-for-broke strategy. We’ll see.

Top Bottom