• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

13 impending free agents were made qualifying offers by their teams before Monday's 5pm deadline.

The qualifying offer is a one-year deal worth the median of the top 125 salaries in baseball that season. In 2013, the median is $14.1 million. Last year, 9 players received qualifying offers of 1-year, $13.3 million. None of the 9 players accepted the offer.

-- Carlos Beltran (Cardinals)
-- Robinson Cano (Yankees)
-- Shin-Soo Choo (Reds)
-- Nelson Cruz (Rangers)
-- Stephen Drew (Red Sox)
-- Jacoby Ellsbury (Red Sox)
-- Curtis Granderson (Yankees)
-- Ubaldo Jimenez (Indians)
-- Hiroki Kuroda (Yankees)
-- Brian McCann (Braves)
-- Kendrys Morales (Mariners)
-- Mike Napoli (Red Sox)
-- Ervin Santana (Royals)

These players have until 5pm on November 11 to accept or decline the offers.

If a player recieves an offer and rejects it, the team that signs them will lose their first unprotected draft pick. The following teams have their 2014 first-round pick protected and will not lose it by signing a player who rejected a qualifying offer:

-- Astros
-- Marlins
-- White Sox
-- Cubs
-- Twins
-- Mariners
-- Phillies
-- Rockies
-- Blue Jays
-- Mets

Instead, those teams would lose their second-round picks and so on. For example, after 2012, the Indians had their first-round pick protected. They ended up signing Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn, both players who had declined qualifying offers from the Yankees and Braves, respectively. The Indians ended up losing their second- and third-round picks.

The picks do not transfer to former teams. They simply vanish.

aFIGurANT

Looking at that list makes me wonder how this is a weak FA year. I mean there's very little pitching but most of those guys are highly coveted at their respective positions. I know deals could still be worked out with the original team but having someone at most every position makes this interesting.

cashman

Banned
Do you think Andrus is the better player to keep or just think Profar would net a better return in a trade?

I don't think it would be worthwhile to move Andrus since he's got that big contract now. In a perfect world I'd keep both and get rid of Kinsler, but there's no way that happens.

Drew and Napoli have to take those offers, don't they? I mean, especially with Napoli's hip it's not like teams' will be beating down his door with long term offers. That's potentially $30 million of the Sox salary locked in on those two guys. They should have just let Drew walk.

Malo

Banned
Council... I think I want McCann on the Yankees.

Drew and Napoli have to take those offers, don't they? I mean, especially with Napoli's hip it's not like teams' will be beating down his door with long term offers. That's potentially $30 million of the Sox salary locked in on those two guys. They should have just let Drew walk.
I think Napoli definitely gets a multi-year contract and it's probably going to be from the Sox for something close to the original contract he signed for, since he was healthy and productive this past season. As for Drew, he'll get one as well since he had a bounce back season and the market for shortstops is ridiculously thin.

I think Drew accepts for sure. 14 million is alot of cash for him.

JCizzle

Council... I think I want McCann on the Yankees.

I think Napoli definitely gets a multi-year contract and it's probably going to be from the Sox for something close to the original contract he signed for, since he was healthy and productive this past season. As for Drew, he'll get one as well since he had a bounce back season and the market for shortstops is ridiculously thin.

He was healthy for a year, sure, but it's still a degenerative condition. One year doesn't change the diagnosis. If you mean the Sox end up offering him two years with tons of milestone incentives (to reach a combined three year total near the original offer), then I agree that's possible. I don't think they'll be offering 3/39 though and one year deals for the rest of his career is probably the most likely scenario. Sucks for him, seems like a good guy.

I don't think so, he will back up Bogaerts if he accepts. He turn down more money from the Yankees last year as he wasn't sure about playing time.

I think they'd play Xander at third as a bridge to Cecchini in 15.

I think Drew will definitely accept the offer. I think this for two reasons. First, $14 million for 2014 is a lot more than he would likely get on the FA market next year. Second, declining the qualifying offer is a scarlet letter if you're not a superstar. We all saw what happened last year with Michael Bourn and Kyle Lohse. Teams didn't want to give up that draft pick. Drew will screw himself royally in two ways if he declines. I'm not quite sure why the Red Sox thought he was worth making an offer.

3N16MA

Banned

Napoli is going to get multiple years after he proved his hip is not a factor (at least for now).

14M is good money for Drew and any team signing him is going to have to give up a pick which hurts. However the FA market for SS is weak and Drew can still draw a multi year deal. He may want to take more guaranteed money (may come from a team with a protected pick).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly the impression I'm getting is that there's more early interest in Drew than any of the other free agents. He's not going to be too expensive yet did quite well at the plate most of the season in a very weak position.

BFIB

Drew would be stupid to walk away from the QO. Not a lot of teams out there searching for SS's, and I highly doubt the Cards are going to pay him with what Boras is asking.

Drew would be stupid to walk away from the QO. Not a lot of teams out there searching for SS's, and I highly doubt the Cards are going to pay him with what Boras is asking.

This is my sentiment as well. If he weren't backed by Boras I think there'd be a shot at him coming to the Cards, but it's just not going to happen. 14.1/1 is already a pretty decent offer for Drew.

Sanjuro

I don't see why Drew would be stupid turning down that deal. He is over thirty-years-old. If anything is "stupid", it would be taking one year deals.

That being said, it's a nice offer. He probably can easily snag a 2/23 deal with a third year club option.

BFIB

I don't see why Drew would be stupid turning down that deal. He is over thirty-years-old. If anything is "stupid", it would be taking one year deals.

That being said, it's a nice offer. He probably can easily snag a 2/23 deal with a third year club option.

You get Drew back, and you like it!

3N16MA

Banned

I agree, I think he can get a multi year deal which will have a lower average salary per year than 14M but more guaranteed money.

You get Drew back, and you like it!

I don't think he minds the Sox having to bring back a 3 WAR SS. If he duplicates than in 2014, he will earn that 14M .

Sanjuro

I'm still not sold on using Xander "He is a highly intelligent minority who knows all the languages and we'll hear about him for years to come" Bogaerts alone.

Ideally he takes the one year offer and we have a balanced attack at the position. People must not realize that Drew got paid about $10M this season and the SS position is largely shit in the FA market. A lot of teams are going to have some interest in Drew, even if he looks like shit against lefties.

3N16MA

Banned
So Doc and Ruiz are both going to be FAs. I wonder if either will get much interest from other teams.

Ruiz should get some despite his past. Halladay will land somewhere on a 1 year incentive based deal. Some team will hope to find gold with him.

Interesting about the Rockies, Ruiz could tear it up there if he is healthy all year. I was hoping the Phils would bring Doc back but the radio out here is saying no chance. I hope he has a good bounce back year, unless he signs with the Yankees.

Malo

Banned
I wouldn't mind Ruiz. He would be a definite upgrade over the black hole that was Stewart and Romine.

Brandon League had eye surgery. Maybe he will suck less now.

BYSUHk-CUAAmQZb.jpg:large

aFIGurANT

While the site was down a play was reviewed for the first time using the new system. The runner was quickly confirmed to have been out at first and no fuss was thrown. We'll see if the latter remains true during the MLB season.

Edit: This was during the Salt River Rafter's AFL game airing on MLBN.

Sanjuro

Shane Victorino. Best Baseball Signing,

Johnny Gomes, and Artie Lange. All on Conan at the same time. I'd watch a 24-hour sports network if it was just Artie and athletes.

Top Bottom