• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

thefro

Then that gets back to why would you pay him over 5 mill.... I'm just trying to get a grasp on how the price for a FA has skyrocketed so suddenly. Is baseball just finally catching up to inflation or something? I'm sure someone's read an article that doesn't cite the TV money as the only factor in all this money being thrown around.

Big TV money, wonky SABER statistics that make even the crappiest player look like a good player with "bad luck" or a secret good player because of his fielding.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Big TV money, wonky SABER statistics that make even the crappiest player look like a good player with "bad luck" or a secret good player because of his fielding.

You are of course aware that teams base their valuations of a player's worth off of their own, internal evaluations?

There are really two ways to approach baseball salaries; normatively and positively.

Positively, the correct salaries are whatever the market will bear. Demand drives pricing, and MLB players are in demand in a way that MLS players are not. Positively, baseball players are payed appropriately.

If we want to make normative statements (i.e. what baseball players "should" be making), then sure, baseball players are overpaid. Why are guys who hit balls with sticks for a living making orders of magnitude more than firemen or teachers or even doctors? As soon as we open this door, however, the same would be true for every other sport and lots of other things, and we're basically reshaping the entire economy in fantastical ways that have no bearing on current reality.
Perfectly stated man. Cant overthink it.

aFIGurANT

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with JD Drew as an example? The dude made more than 100M in his career when it was done and he was never a superstar or something.

Yeah that's a terrible example that I made more from the perspective of a Cards fan who saw him never stay healthy for a season. I forget that the BoSox(or someone) paid him based on the hype. But his story sort of illustrates how it's hard to stay a big leaguer.

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah that's a terrible example that I made more from the perspective of a Cards fan who saw him never stay healthy for a season. I forget that the BoSox(or someone) paid him based on the hype. But his story sort of illustrates how it's hard to stay a big leaguer.
Uh, there's no way someone with a career as long as Drew's was a bust. Try someone like Matt Bush.

Question gaf, was watching about 20 minutes of "Knuckleball". Found it interesting. Is it worth watching the full movie/documentary?

Zep

Banned
Uh, there's no way someone with a career as long as Drew's was a bust. Try someone like Matt Bush.

Surely not a bust...Nowhere close. But you can say he never lived up to his hype as the next Mickey Mantle, mashing the ball through college and the minors.

rekameohs

Banned
Surely not a bust...Nowhere close. But you can say he never lived up to his hype as the next Mickey Mantle, mashing the ball through college and the minors.
Sure, definitely. But the conversation was talking about young high school athletes being scared of baseball because of its huge challenge to reach the bigs. I just think that Drew isn't a good example, since he still made a shitload of money.

CygnusXS

Bubba Starling could be a really good example in a couple years. Two-way player with really loud tools, drafted early, and has really struggled in the minors.

hie

Mariners TV contract they signed last year will make them $12.4 BILLION by 2021.

They are spending $240 MILLION on Cano until 2022.

...it's not like Nintendo is feeding the less fortunate with all that extra cash.

Malvingt2

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source: Cano deal with #Mariners does NOT include opt-out clause. Described as 10-year partnership and commitment by both sides.

I am the only one happy with the Cano deal? I am so happy for him.

I bear him no ill will whatsoever, and I never even really gave a shit that he allegedly didn't "hustle" or whatever (although that will become more of a factor when his skills decline). There will be some boos from dumb people when he returns to NY, probably. Everyone would take a deal like that, and as the earlier conversation suggests, he's getting paid what the market supports.

But, you know, he was a multi-millionaire, championship-winning premier second baseman in baseball on one of the most famous sports teams in the world. It's not like his ship has FINALLY come in or something.

Malvingt2

I bear him no ill will whatsoever, and I never even really gave a shit that he allegedly didn't "hustle" or whatever (although that will become more of a factor when his skills decline). There will be some boos from dumb people when he returns to NY, probably. Everyone would take a deal like that, and as the earlier conversation suggests, he's getting paid what the market supports.

But, you know, he was a multi-millionaire, championship-winning premier second baseman in baseball on one of the most famous sports teams in the world. It's not like his ship has FINALLY come in or something.

I think a lot of people here in NY are very upset that he left the Yankees and not vice versa.
The mind set of my friends and co workers is that he betrayed the Yankees and that he went for the money.

I don't blame Cano for his choices.

zychi

Banned
Cards falling part, Yankees signing players who will be hurt most of the season, the beard is still a Red Sox and the cubs haven't done squat. It's a great offseason so far

zychi

Banned
cards falling apart?
Hypocrite fans loving the ped signing, followed by an announcement they believe it was a one time thing, after talking "clean baseball" when pujols left and claiming superiority. best hitter on the team leaves for ny, wainwright collapse in the World Series. It's fun to see it slowly go down hill for the assholes that are cards fans.

Mariners TV contract they signed last year will make them $12.4 BILLION by 2021.

They are spending $240 MILLION on Cano until 2022.

...it's not like Nintendo is feeding the less fortunate with all that extra cash.

You might want to recheck those numbers. I am betting your getting that number from this article.

The TV contract in question is the MLB national TV deal. That 12.4 billion is split amongst all teams. The Mariners (and all other teams) stand to receive an extra 26 mil a season under the new deal.

CygnusXS

Hypocrite fans loving the ped signing, followed by an announcement they believe it was a one time thing, after talking "clean baseball" when pujols left and claiming superiority. best hitter on the team leaves for ny, wainwright collapse in the World Series. It's fun to see it slowly go down hill for the assholes that are cards fans.

uh...huh

rando14

Eh I disagree. I think most teams would love to be the cards: good FO, good talent, good as FUCK farm system

Malo

Banned
Why wouldn't he go? A Ellsbury - Gardner - Ichiro OF would be one of the worst offensive OFs in baseball. Gardner is the only guy they can trade out of that bunch.

Gardner for Brandon Phillips makes a lot of sense.
Yeah, no thanks. Gardner is a better player than Phillips and he's cheaper. Cut Wells and Ichiro, and have Soriano as the dh.

hemtae

Why wouldn't he go? A Ellsbury - Gardner - Ichiro OF would be one of the worst offensive OFs in baseball. Gardner is the only guy they can trade out of that bunch.

Gardner for Brandon Phillips makes a lot of sense.

I thought Gardner was decent offensively and would play left with Ellsbury in center and Beltran in right but I don't really know much about Ichiro/Soriano/Gardner.

best hitter on the team leaves for ny

Are you implying that the Cardinals actively sought Beltran to stay past 2013 (other than giving him a QO that he was almost guaranteed to reject)? Because I'm pretty sure no one expected that, especially with Taveras ready to come up and some point in 2014.

Top Bottom