• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

The New York Mets and free-agent outfielder Curtis Granderson have agreed on a four-year, $60 million deal, pending the outcome of a physical, sources have told ESPN.
so they did go for a 4th year. Reason being:
1:35 pm: Mets ownership encouraged Sandy Alderson to lock in a fourth year to get the deal done (Francesa, WFAN).
Wilpon/etc. wanted it done. Smart overrule. Also:
The Mets will forfeit their second-round draft pick in 2014 due to Granderson receiving — and turning down — a qualifying offer from the Yankees.
poopy.

Cano is gonna have to do his damage in Texas/Houston, but I see him getting a lot more doubles/triples in these spacious ass ball parks in the west.

Cano hits everywhere.

I don't worry about his production now.

I wonder if he's going to continue that production for years into that contract, though.

Also, GG Mets on Granderson. I really think he's going to legitimately be really good for them.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The Mariners still need an upgrade at all three outfield positions if they want to be competitive. Should still be a long off season for them.

Opiate

That 2nd rounder goes to The Yanks?

No, not anymore. The second round selection basically disappears, so the Mets lose their second round pick, but all anyone else gets is a bump up the draft order. The team scheduled to pick right after the Mets are now one selection higher on the list, and the same is true of everyone else beneath them.

In theory and as an example, if you had the 10th selection and all nine teams ahead of you signed players who received qualifying offers, you would suddenly have the first pick because the 9 picks ahead of you vanished in to thin air. The team that had the 11th pick now has the second pick, and so on.

3N16MA

Banned
At 10/240 the Mariners can have him. 10 year contracts should never be handed out to 31 year old players.

Still confused on the strategy used by the Yankees but I would want no part of a contract that large.

Opiate

I think the contract is not unreasonable in its annual pay, but it is unreasonable in its length. Once you're looking at a player in the top 10 WAR / annum, though, I think most rules we apply to what defines a "good" contract basically fall apart. That could suggest that it's a bad idea to sign them, frankly, but I suspect this sort of contract will be unavoidable for top-10 players.

3N16MA

Banned
I think the contract is not unreasonable in its annual pay, but it is unreasonable in its length.

I was advocating 6 years which would have never happend but was also fine with 7. 8 years becomes dicey and 9-10 years becomes "just say no."

Opiate

I was advocating 6 years which would have never happend but was also fine with 7. 8 years becomes dicey and 9-10 years becomes "just say no."

I agree completely. Hopefully the Cano non-sign becomes like the Pujols non-sign for the Cardinals; the best non-signing in the history of the franchise.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Don't make me bop you.

villar-butt-phillips-vslv8.gif

Malvingt2

I am so happy for Cano, he got what he wanted. Good for him. I wish him the best. A lot of salty people here in NY. People who loved him, now hate him. People who loves their team when such buy players with money now are complaining about such. The irony.

Malvingt2

I agree completely. Hopefully the Cano non-sign becomes like the Pujols non-sign for the Cardinals; the best non-signing in the history of the franchise.

I don't hope that. I hope Cano is really amazing in Seattle. He is a great person and I wish him the best.

Caja 117

As a Yankees fan I hate that Cano left, with him gone right now there isnt a real treat at the plate. But I do understand that Yankees are avoiding signing players to this long term contracts, they dont want another AROD situation I guess.

3N16MA

Banned
Yanks are going to sign one of Beltran/Choo and possibly Infante. They need another SP and some bullpen help. Really did not want them to be in on Choo for a large contract.

Yanks are going to sign one of Beltran/Choo and possibly Infante. They need another SP and some bullpen help. Really did not want them to be in on Choo for a large contract.

Choo's value is at leadoff. Ellsbury is already batting leadoff. We need power and Nelson Cruz has it.

Malo

Banned
No thanks to Cruz. Shitty defender who doesn't get on base very well.

Choo could hit 25 bombs in YS. I'm just worried about the years it would require to sign him.

Top Bottom