• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

I am the only one happy with the Cano deal? I am so happy for him.

Happy? Man, I feel bad for him. Seattle is where careers go to die. I have no problem with him wanting to take the money, I just wish it was with a team that isn't a wasteland. I was really hoping if any team outbid the Yankees it would be the Dodgers. He's going from Yankee Stadium in New York City to the dank ass Safeco Field in dank ass Seattle. Gonna be a long 10 years.

rando14

No to Phillips. Overrated because of RBIs and Gardner is a beast in LF. Look at what he did there in 2010/2011.

C: McCann
1B: Teixera
2B: Infante/Kendrick
SS: Jeter/Ryan
3B: Reynolds/Johnson
LF: Gardner
CF: Ellsbury
RF: Beltran
DH: Sorinao

SP: Sabathia
SP: Kuroda
SP: Tanaka
SP: Colon
SP: Nova

Crain/Balfour to the pen.

Could also leave a spot open in the rotation for Nuno/Phelps/Pineda. Sign Infante or see what is needed for Kendrick.

Yankees won't get infante, kuroda, tanaka, AND colon

3N16MA

Banned
Yankees won't get infante, kuroda, tanaka, AND colon

That is why I said to leave a spot open Nuno/Phleps/Pineda. They either try to stick to 189 which would require them to go after perhaps two pitchers or screw 189 and go after three.

Kuroda is a done deal and Infante/Tanaka are guys they're looking into. That leaves Colon as the only extra on my list which I already covered.

Lol?

rando14

That is why I said to leave a spot open Nuno/Phleps/Pineda. They either try to stick to 189 which would require them to go after perhaps two pitchers or screw 189 and go after three.

Kuroda is a done deal and Infante/Tanaka are guys they're looking into. That leaves Colon as the only extra on my list which I already covered.

Lol?

Wait didn't mac say that the payroll is already at 177? They won't be able to afford either tanaka nor colon if they're actually staying below 189

If they decide to forget the luxury than I could see this

Edit: yeah cyg probably right

Watch, little Yankee bro.

We're keeping an eye on yall, #yankeesnorthwest

3N16MA

Banned
Wait didn't mac say that the payroll is already at 177? They won't be able to afford either tanaka nor colon if they're actually staying below 189

If they decide to forget the luxury than I could see this

We're keeping an eye on yall, #yankeesnorthwest

At this point I have not done the math to add up the current payroll as things have moved fast. Also if payroll was at 177 they would already be over as it's more like 172 + insurance + money to fill the 40 man roster.

If they're really 12M from 189 then that plan is as good as gone at this point which means we don't need to worry about it. Maybe they trade Ichiro for a bag of balls to free up space but even then you are in a tight spot.

3N16MA

Banned
New rumor: Yankees/Giants talking Ichiro Suzuki/Marco Scutaro swap.

I thought Heyman or someone mentioned it was the writers that were talking about it? I have no clue why the Giants would do that as Scutaro is the better player and Ichiro makes just as much. It would be a steal for the Yankees.

Since the Yankees resurrected Colon 3 years ago:

3.32 ERA, 3.60 FIP, 3.89 xFIP, 9.1 fWAR

Steamer projects more of the same and a 2.8 WAR pitcher next season.

Macattk15

I don't feel like dealing with Ichiro in the division. Make it stop Yanks.

Ichiro sucks now. Don't know what you're worried about.

Happy? Man, I feel bad for him. Seattle is where careers go to die. I have no problem with him wanting to take the money, I just wish it was with a team that isn't a wasteland. I was really hoping if any team outbid the Yankees it would be the Dodgers. He's going from Yankee Stadium in New York City to the dank ass Safeco Field in dank ass Seattle. Gonna be a long 10 years.

Deservin' of that Junior Member tag!

3N16MA

Banned
Also if you thought my lineup was crazy:
Re-signing Hiroki Kuroda, signing Carlos Beltran and watching Robinson Cano and Curtis Granderson sign elsewhere --- even for hot stove perennials like the Yankees, Friday was a particularly noteworthy day. Here are some more items from the Big Apple.

Omar Infante could be the biggest beneficiary of Cano's departure, Mark Feinsand and Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News report. The Yankees already extended an offer to Infante earlier this winter and, now that Infante is the top second baseman on the free agent market, he seems poised to command a larger offer from the Yankees or any suitor. Given position scarcity and the general rise of contracts this winter, Infante is in good shape to top the three-year, $25MM deal predicted for him by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes in September.

Also from Feinsand (via Twitter), he doesn't think the Yankees are a contender to trade for David Price. The Yankees lack the prospects that the Rays would demand in return, and even if New York did have the minor league talent, it's unlikely that Tampa Bay would trade Price within the AL East anyway.

Losing Cano won't slow the Yankees down, as the team plans to pursue several other free agents, USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports. Besides Infante and the already-signed Beltran, the Yankees will also continues talks with Shin-Soo Choo and Stephen Drew, as well as post a bid on Masahiro Tanaka if he's made available.
With Beltran already in the fold, it would seem that Choo is no longer be a Yankee target, CBS Sports' Jon Heyman notes.

For more Yankee-related material, check out this collection of reactions to Cano's signing with the Mariners.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/yankees-notes-infante-drew-choo-price.html

Still looking into Infante, Tanaka, Choo, Drew

we'll get it from elsewhere.

Don't cha know....

8P0fS3T.gif

Malvingt2

I believe he is going to do great in there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MLB tells federal court it rejected A's move to San Jose in June:

For the better part of recent memory, the Oakland Athletics have been desperately trying to find a way to build a new stadium, and for a while San Jose has been their best hope. That plan, however, has been hampered by a territorial dispute with the Giants and it appears it won't be happening.

The city of San Jose filed a lawsuit against Major League Baseball in order to stop MLB from preventing the move. The lawsuit is in process, but documents show that MLB claims commissioner Bud Selig denied the A's move to San Jose formally on June 17 of this year and called the ruling his final decision.

From the court document:

In fact, MLB denied the Athletics' relocation request on June 17, 2013, one day before this lawsuit was filed. On that date, Commissioner Selig formally notified the Athletics' ownership that he was not satisfied with the club's relocation proposal.

The sole basis of Plaintiffs' only claims that remain after the MTD Order -- the purported failure of MLB to render a decision within the initial two-year term of the Option Agreement -- is therefore meritless.

The A's have extended their lease with O.co Coliseum in Oakland through the 2015 season, but they still need a long-term solution. Considering they've been trying to move to San Jose for around five years and haven't made much progress with convincing MLB -- and now we know that MLB flat-out rejected the idea -- it sounds like they may need a new gameplan.

No trade clause.

That means nothing, a no-trade clause only means they can't trade him without consent. Players waive them all the time, Fielder had a no-trade clause and agreed to going to Texas.

If he really wanted out that bad he would have worked an opt out clause into the deal.

He'll be in Seattle for the next 10 years.

Why would he fight so hard for a 10 year contract and then ask for an opt-out clause? Players never ask for an opt-out clauses when they sign a long contract late in their careers, why would he ever opt out and leave all that money on the table?

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
If hyperinflation hit, I'd be wishing I asked for the opt-out clause, however improbable the utility of it seems right now.

RGVNOE

I will miss Beltran, but that's a pretty damn solid deal. Good for Beltran.

gonna miss him too, I knew they wouldn't resign him though, they want Adams and Craig to be everyday players, plus Taveras coming up Tron would be blocking Adams most likely though if Taveras would be ready for opening day. But yea good for him hopefully he continues to hit there, he's always been a great player to watch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why would he fight so hard for a 10 year contract and then ask for an opt-out clause? Players never ask for an opt-out clauses when they sign a long contract late in their careers, why would he ever opt out and leave all that money on the table?

Boras clients get opt out clauses all the time. ARod got paid twice because of his. Same with JD Drew. I'm surprised Cano didn't get one just in case he wanted out after 4 years or so.

Top Bottom