• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Sanjuro

I doubt any team offers him a major league team, it's a battle of minor league contracts pretty much. Nice to see they'll consider Johan.

They wanted Granderson to take less in the 1st year, it's the only reason they got 4 years.

I didn't want to curse. Link is my Mets bro, we're just two sides of the same coin.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Johan isn't going to take a minor league deal, are you nuts?

He'll either get a gamble offer, wait sometime mid-season, or sit out the entire year if needed.

Nationals about to overpay big time for Eric O'Flaherty. I've heard as high as 3 years/$20 million. Javier Lopez's contract drove his price up big time.

Phillies and Dodgers are also in on O'Flaherty, but Nats are the front-runners. Seemingly no interest from the Braves since Luis Avilan pretty much filled his spot.

So what do Mets fans see happening with Jenrry Mejia next year? Is he a full season starter now?

guy looked electric in September starting. should be in the rotation this year, while most believe his delivery is a bit too violent to stay as starter, i hope he does. MInaya and Manuel rushed him to the Majors, set him back.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
A potential 2015 rotation of Harvey, Wheeler, Mejia, and Syndergaard is pretty sick. Like, I can't hate on it.

If I'm being honest for a second, I wouldn't mind losing the division to a Mets team that had that rotation.

Syrinx

A potential 2015 rotation of Harvey, Wheeler, Mejia, and Syndergaard is pretty sick. Like, I can't hate on it.

If I'm being honest for a second, I wouldn't mind losing the division to a Mets team that had that rotation.

Rafael Montero might also be in that rotation as well.

Johan isn't going to take a minor league deal, are you nuts?

He'll either get a gamble offer, wait sometime mid-season, or sit out the entire year if needed.
... who will sign him to guaranteed money? I think he just started throwing 90 ft last week. Now if he's ready by Spring Training then I could see him getting a 1 yr w/ incentives offer.
guy looked electric in September starting. should be in the rotation this year, while most believe his delivery is a bit too violent to stay as starter, i hope he does. MInaya and Manuel rushed him to the Majors, set him back.
Yep, Mejia would've sealed his role as a #5 if it wasn't for the bone spurs. The amazing thing that skyrocketed his development isn't so much the fact he learned a slider, it's that he showed control of all four pitches a la Harvey. Again, those two graphs in the first link got me giddy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-notes-a-brief-review-of-jenrry-mejias-season-debut/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-notes-largely-concerning-jenrry-mejias-start-today/

People forget about Jon Niese (can be a #1 on any given night or bomb a start) and Dillon Gee, who was looking like he was emerging pre-aneurysm. Also the Mets are looking to get a vet pitcher this offseason to mentor the younger pitchers. Meanwhile you have guys like Gonzalez Germen, Jeurys Familia (future closer), Jack Leatherisch on the horizon in the bullpen... pitchingwise, Sandy has bore fruit with the prospects. It's the hitting ones he hasn't had much success with yet.

Sanjuro

... who will sign him to guaranteed money? I think he just started throwing 90 ft last week. Now if he's ready by Spring Training then I could see him getting a 1 yr w/ incentives offer.

Yep, Mejia would've sealed his role as a #5 if it wasn't for the bone spurs. The amazing thing that skyrocketed his development isn't so much the fact he learned a slider, it's that he showed control of all four pitches a la Harvey. Again, those two graphs in the first link got me giddy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-notes-a-brief-review-of-jenrry-mejias-season-debut/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily-notes-largely-concerning-jenrry-mejias-start-today/

People forget about Jon Niese (can be a #1 on any given night or bomb a start) and Dillon Gee, who was looking like he was emerging pre-aneurysm. Also the Mets are looking to get a vet pitcher this offseason to mentor the younger pitchers. Meanwhile you have guys like Gonzalez Germen, Jeurys Familia (future closer), Jack Leatherisch on the horizon in the bullpen... pitchingwise, Sandy has bore fruit with the prospects. It's the hitting ones he hasn't had much success with yet.

There are plenty of teams which would pay for his potential upside. Depends what Johan still is looking for, which he may or may not be able to hold out on.

He isn't taking a minor league deal, not yet.

Zep

Banned

By your definition Kyle Kendrick can be a #1 on any given night.

Niese will be an afterthought in a year or two. He is a Lannan clone... A mediocre pitcher that looks better on shitty ballclubs. He'll have no place on the Mets, if their younger arms come through.

CheezyMac88

I doubt any team offers him a major league team, it's a battle of minor league contracts pretty much. Nice to see they'll consider Johan.

They wanted Granderson to take less in the 1st year, it's the only reason they got 4 years.

I didn't want to curse. Link is my Mets bro, we're just two sides of the same coin.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

So I'm guessing we're not getting Stephen Drew?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
most 4th or 5th starters can be a number one on a few nights. what makes the true #1 guys valuable is their consistency.

The Bulldog is coming home! Wooooooooooo! Way better than listening to Steve Lyons' ass every road game. Looks like the Dodgers also got Alanna Rizzo to join in for SportsNet LA. They already got Nomar a week or two ago.

Garcia's great September with the Braves and his admirable start in NLDS Game 4 has at least earned him a look.

Amazing to think Garcia would have thrown six shutout innings against the Dodgers if not for those two Carl Crawford solo homers. And he left the game as the winning pitcher of record until Craig Kimbrel got left in the bullpen.

Friggz

Torre managed to get elected into the Hall of Fame but Steinbrenner didnt? lol. The Hall continues to become a joke.

Friggz

Blue Jays are making an announcement at 12:30 today.

Nobody so far has any clue what it's for.

looks like Halladay is going to sign a 1 day contract and retire a blue jay. i didnt really expect him to retire yet, but after how he ended last season. He was done.

Now..HOF? I think so.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Wow, the end came quickly for Halladay.

Crap, I never saw him live in his prime. Gave my tickets away when I had the opportunity.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://blog.sfgate.com/giants/2013/12/08/the-giants-and-brett-gardner/

The Giants’ contingent arrived at the winter meetings, which begin here Monday. The team is seeking a left fielder to accompany center fielder Angel Pagan and right fielder Hunter Pence, and the Yankees reportedly are open to trading Gardner, who can be a free agent after the 2014 season.

One member of the Giants’ traveling party said the team hasn’t had discussions on Gardner but wouldn’t be surprised if his name came up during the week.

There’s already a buzz in the lobby at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort on possible targets for Gardner. The question for the Giants is whether they could accommodate the Yankees.

Gardner’s pending free agency could reduce his price tag. Sabean didn’t give up much for Cabrera or Pagan, but Gardner is said to be a popular target by several teams.

BFIB

Wow, can't say I'm not too surprised at the Halladay retirement. Thought he might have tried holding off until after the ASB to return this year.

Doogdogg

it's too bad he didn't get a ring.

The Red Sox almost traded for him but the Jays refuses Buccholz/Masterson + others. They sure love Kyle Drabek don't they?

JABEE

Good Luck Roy!

You had a great career. I loved having you on the Phillies for the time you were here.

One of the greats and future Hall of Famer.

Wish the Phils would have won one with him.

Sealion88

Damn, Doc was the best. I rem that phillies rotation with Lee, Hamels, Oswalt and Blanton. really thought they would have reach the WS again.

Friggz

actually. looking at halladays numbers, im not entirely sure hes a hall of famer. its going to be closer than i originally thought.

Wow, Halladay's retiring? Crazy...he was (for my money) the scariest pitcher to face through the latter half of the 00s.

That Halladay/Lee/Hamels/Oswalt rotation was supposed to be guaranteed WS...sucks that he never got a ring.

SHOULD'VE NEVER MESSED WITH THE YANKS HAW HAW HAW

As for HOF, he doesn't have the numbers...but in theory he compares (at least not counting strikeouts) to even Pedro, so it will at least be a close vote.

[EDIT: I know he dominated the Yankees. That's why I said he was the scariest pitcher to face, lol]

Friggz

Wow, Halladay's retiring? Crazy...he was (for my money) the scariest pitcher to face through the latter half of the 00s.

That Halladay/Lee/Hamels/Oswalt rotation was supposed to be guaranteed WS...sucks that he never got a ring.

SHOULD'VE NEVER MESSED WITH THE YANKS HAW HAW HAW

he dominated the yankees. i think he was like 17-5 with a 2.6 era over like a 8 year stretch.

Malvingt2

Bruce Levine‏@MLBBruceLevine
Atlanta and Yankees join the group of teams interested in Jeff Samardzija.

why are the Braves after him?

zychi

Banned
so torre and la russa get into the hof after winning so much with roiders? bunch of hypocrites running the baseball hof

Friggz

Bruce Levine‏@MLBBruceLevine
Atlanta and Yankees join the group of teams interested in Jeff Samardzija.

why are the Braves after him?

wonder if the yankees can package something up without including sanchez. im guess not. but id love Samardzija.

Top Bottom