• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Opiate

Stupid hypocritical fans. It's like McCann and Ellsbury didn't leave their homegrown teams for more money.

Every team has their hypocritical fans, or their jerks, or their racist fans, etc. It would be interesting to see if the ratio of good/bad fans changes at all over larger sample sizes. Philadelphia, for example, hardly has a monopoly on fans-who-are-jerks, but it may have a disproportionate amount of them. Or maybe not!

Boras clients get opt out clauses all the time. ARod got paid twice because of his. Same with JD Drew. I'm surprised Cano didn't get one just in case he wanted out after 4 years or so.

Because he was lucky to get a 10 year/ $240 million contract and asking for an opt put clause would have been stupid. Arod got an opt-out clause on a contract he signed when he was 25, and mostly because Texas was willing to give him anything he wanted. There's no reason to expect Cano would ever get a more lucrative deal when this one will pay $24MM/year until he's 41. Not asking for one is definitely not a sign that he would never ask to be traded or accept a trade, that's just stupid.

Branduil

Every team has their hypocritical fans, or their jerks, or their racist fans, etc. It would be interesting to see if the ratio of good/bad fans changes at all over larger sample sizes. Philadelphia, for example, hardly has a monopoly on fans-who-are-jerks, but it may have a disproportionate amount of them. Or maybe not!

The Yankees definitely have more.

aFIGurANT

I just want to rectify what I said earlier and acknowledge that JD Drew is a terrible example of someone who burned out before getting paid. He must have been hitting 31 HRs when I stopped being a good baseball fan because I never would have guessed he'd post such good stats across pretty much a decade. Makes me wonder if the Waino trade was a good one after all. Although ATL got Drew for one year so yeah STL wins I would guess.

This ESPN article on the trade reads so great in retrospect, actually.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
* Choo. The next big free-agent domino, and the expectation among some executives is that his deal will be almost as lucrative as Ellsbury’s $153 million jackpot.

The most obvious fits for Choo are the Rangers, Mariners, Tigers and Reds, and some execs also include the Giants and Astros

lolwut

Fowler/Grossman/Choo would be a nice outfield...

Of course, it's a longshot but stranger things have happened.

JCizzle

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html

Just in case you didn't think Jack Z was the worst GM in baseball. Some scathing stuff in here.

“Jack portrayed himself as a scouting/stats hybrid because that’s what he needed to get the job,” Blengino said. “But Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA. Statistical analysis was foreign to him. But he knew he needed it to get in the door.”

Yikes.

Zep

Banned
Jack Z being a clown(something I told Bluemax back when he was hired) really has nothing to do with the Cano deal.

Macattk15

I've always thought Jack Z was terrible. There is no surprise there from me.

However, Eric Wedge is also terrible and I'm kinda glad he's gone.

Thank god Jack Z has Tom McNamara though.

The Mariners (mostly Tom) have built a good farm system at least ... from a prospect standpoint.

Also how much is of the bashing is from people with butt hurts from being let go or fired? Blengino went from assistant to the GM to fucking writing on Fangraphs ....

If Blengino didn't like the way Jack Z operated ... why did he follow him from the Brewers to the Mariners? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

amen!!

Never liked Wedge

Etheus

Neo Member

The Mariners (mostly Tom) have built a good farm system at least ... from a prospect standpoint.

Also how much is of the bashing is from people with butt hurts from being let go or fired? Blengino went from assistant to the GM to fucking writing on Fangraphs ....

I feel Wedge was a bad coach but a good character. If it's even half true about the meddling I don't think he was awful.

He also doesn't strike me as a man to come out and trash his former bosses unless something was really, really wrong.

Blackace

All I know .... Jack Z isn't and cannot be any worse than what Bill fucking Bavasi did to this franchise.

Well, we aren't out the winter meetings yet.. This is exactly the same situation Bavasi was in when he set us back 10 years

Macattk15

Never forget Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez. Or giving Carlos Silva 4 years and $48 million.

Or trading like 5 fucking people including Adam Jones for fucking Erik Bedard.

I also can't stand Geoff Baker ... writes for the Seattle Times but is almost ALWAYS anti-Mariner. Go back to fucking Toronto.

What a shitty time for that article to come out though ... why would you release that shit before the Winter Meetings. Clearly does not care about the Mariners as a fan.

This article is a good way for Wedge and Blengino to never get a baseball job again. Airing dirty laundry HAS to be frowned upon by everyone as I'm sure every organization has its own share.

Also the talk of scouts (Bob Engle and Guerrero) being let go? They were receiving fucking kick backs ... pretty shady shit and the reason they were booted.

Still though ... it is tough be an M's fan with shit like this ... but its been like this ever since Lincoln and Armstrong have been at the helm ... least Armstrong is gone now.

Jason A. Churchill ‏@ProspectInsider 2h
An asst GM that doesn't care for Jack a whole lot: "Blengino? Who cares what that guy says or thinks? What a joke."

Same AGM: "I don't think they have a clue over there. You know I see that. I tell u all the time. But this is s***t. Complete f*****g s**t"

Blackace

An asst GM that doesn't care for Jack a whole lot: "Blengino? Who cares what that guy says or thinks? What a joke."

Same AGM: "I don't think they have a clue over there. You know I see that. I tell u all the time. But this is s***t. Complete f*****g s**t"

lol

Lol, you shoulda seen the number of Giants fans that started claiming they never liked Brian Wilson last year.

Granderson contract breakdown:

2014 (age 33): $13 million
2015 (age 34): $16 million
2016 (age 35): $16 million
2017 (age 36): $15 million

Macattk15

Ba2rBHbIYAAIBWW.jpg

Kinda weird seeing him with facial hair ... that he will get to keep.

Seven or eight teams – including the Mets – have inquired about free agent LHP Johan Santana, according to someone with knowledge of the situation (Castillo)
I doubt any team offers him a major league team, it's a battle of minor league contracts pretty much. Nice to see they'll consider Johan.
Curtis Granderson – who the Mets reportedly agreed to sign to a four-year, $60 million contract on Friday – will earn $13 million in 2014, $16 million in 2015, $16 million in 2016, and $15 million in 2017 (Heyman).
They wanted Granderson to take less in the 1st year, it's the only reason they got 4 years.
I didn't want to curse. Link is my Mets bro, we're just two sides of the same coin.
Tonight at the Winter Meetings, Sandy Alderson said it was possible the team could leave Orlando with Ruben Tejada as the primary shortstop (Brender).
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Top Bottom