• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

rekameohs

Banned
I just realized the Colon is going to have to bat now.

hehehehehe_duck.gif

Two years? Ehhhhhhhh....

I guess not a bad pickup for the short-term. Had a very good year in Oakland last year.

Next years starting pitchers look like:

Wheeler
Niese
Colon
Gee
Mejia

if I'm not mistaken. Pretty good starting five. Need to fill the holes in the lineup though.
Love that five. And we have Montero, Syndergaard, deGrom ready go join the rotation this year. Now time to make some trades Sandy!

I like the Colon signing. Eats innings, good WAR and he's moving to a more pitching-friendly park/division. Mets have addressed the vet pitcher issue, now they just need to see if they can deal Ike Davis (due $4 mill next year) and possibly get Stephen Drew.

Colon, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, Mejia/Hefner/Syndergaard/Montero..etc. Not too shabby! I hope Bobby Parnell is ready by spring training. I don't remember who else is in the pen outside of him and Vic Black.

Mets need offense in the worst way though. Not sure what they'll do with Ike Davis or if they are still shopping Murphy.

We just signed Colon. Why in the hell would we overpay for Ervin Santana?
One could argue Mets slightly overpaid for Colon. Unless Sandy is checking if his market is decreasing and is looking to snipe him it makes no sense. Hell, it doesn't make sense anyway unless he's looking to trade a pitcher we didn't think he'd trade. But he's probably just doing his due diligence.

Ike better pack his bags, because he's gone before the Winter Meetings are over.
Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN
Sandy said on the record and 2 Mets people whispered it to me: Mets will not just give away Ike. I think that's now the party line in talks.

Edit: think you're right
Mets officials met with Ervin Santana's people, but that appears unlikely in the wake of the Colon signing, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports

aFIGurANT

If a catcher isn't mandated to give half the plate to a runner I don't see how the new rule could really be expected to be followed. If the play is close a runner is going to be hard pressed to not make any direct contact, imo.

This has been in the news for weeks I think. Surprised it wasn't discussed here yet.

No, it's official as of today. They voted on it today.

Home plate collisions will be officially banned, perhaps starting in 2014. If an umpire rules that a collision was intentional by either the runner unnecessarily hitting the catcher or the catcher blocking the plate, the offending player will be immediately ejected and possibly suspended.

clemenx

Banned
Meh. I'd rather they stay but they're not that common that's worth to make a fuzz about. I understand the league wanting to cover its ass regarding concussions.

No, it's official as of today. They voted on it today.

Home plate collisions will be officially banned, perhaps starting in 2014. If an umpire rules that a collision was intentional by either the runner unnecessarily hitting the catcher or the catcher blocking the plate, the offending player will be immediately ejected and possibly suspended.
Oh cool. One more thing for the umpires to fuck up.

jbug617

Banned
Top Bottom