• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

General question re: salary strategies. If you were in the market for a big time bat, similar to a Cano this offseason, similar resume and age, would you prefer to give him a 10 year deal with a $25 million AAV, or a 5 year deal with an AAV closer to $40 million. If you were the GM which would you choose? Assume you are on a fairly big market team with cash to spend.
If you think his bat at ages 36-40 will keep him above replacement level, you go for the 10 year deal. If you think he'll fall off the cliff by then but you really, really need that short term boost, you give him the 5 year, high AAV deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rays FA deal with James Loney (3/21) is official.

It's the largest FA deal the Rays have done with a player since 2005. We spending that money!

Watch the Phillies still fuck this up. Worst current management in baseball.
Lol. Yeah they team that won 5 straight divisions and went to back to back world series has the worst management. Hopefully there are some good free agents for them to throw money at next year.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Those things happened a long time ago. I wouldn't say the Yankees are currently managed well because they won the ws 5 years ago.

Then what did I hear about it last month?

Swear I heard something about it not being 100% done. Probably must have read an old tweet/headline. my mistake.
I think I remember hearing something about the deal needing to be approved by somebody recently. Then I started hearing that they picked up Nomar and Orel for it so I figured the deal must be done.

JABEE

Trout is playing for his home town team.

Which would be Philadelphia. He's from Millville, New Jersey. He is an Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers fan. He is from South Jersey. My cousin used to played against him when he was at All-Star Little League Camps in Jersey. He doesn't live near New York.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/27/mike-trout-still-a-phillies-fan/

Trout’s father recalled a story from a few years back when in the middle of the night, Jeff heard Mike scream from his room.

“Dad, we got Roy Halladay!” Mike yelled. To which his Dad responded: “the Angels got Halladay?”

“No, the Phillies did!” Mike replied. “Son, you’re a member of the Angels. What’s with this we?!”

Back off Trout! He's our unrealistic future free agent signing!

Friggz

Which would be Philadelphia. He's from Millville, New Jersey. He is an Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers fan. He is from South Jersey. My cousin used to played against him when he was at All-Star Little League Camps in Jersey. He doesn't live near New York.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/27/mike-trout-still-a-phillies-fan/

Back off Trout! He's our unrealistic future free agent signing!

yes, but trout is also a die hard jeter fan, yankees should give jeter a 4 year contract to try and lure trout over to the boogie down.

but baseball is dying ect.

Also, anyone know when the Dodgers TV deal will be inked?

forbes.com said:
It was a very good year for Major League Baseball; as in historic. According to a source speaking on condition of anonymity, for 2013 MLB gross revenues will exceed $8 billion for the first time, ever. While exact figures were not revealed, baseball will end 2013 with revenues between $8-$8.5 billion.

our sport is alive and well

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
The next decade or two of Braves baseball is definitely going to be interesting, if maybe not exactly enjoyable.

Sucks. :(

Good thing the Mets will always fuck themselves up.
Harvey-100-mph.gif

Siddown.

aFIGurANT

Predictions for the future of the NL East:

Mest morph into the New York Mets, Frankman and Mark Simon rejoice at the plethora of arms and the never-aging David Wright.

The Atlanta Braves become the Barves and watch their talent disappear to the likes of the Marlins, who go on to win the WS before trading Heyward (deadline acquisition) and Dontrelle Willis 2.0 aka Jose Fernandez.

Alllright dudes. I'm back. Please sell the Bengals, Mike Brown.

Let me catch up and discuss all the off-season moves by the Reds.

Welp, now I'm caught up.

BFIB

These are always fun in Wrassle-GAF threads, so I thought it might be a fun way to pass the time.

Your personal top 5 pitcher deliveries:

5. Bob Gibson- Pure intimidation from the moment a batter stepped into the box. He'd give a cold hard stare, then would follow that up with a delivery that was pure power. But he'd also be able to locate exactly where he wanted.

44063-216.gif

4. Sandy Koufax- After he altered his delivery, everything he threw looked the same. It was pretty much a guessing game with his pitches.

sandy_koufax3.gif

3. Nolan Ryan- Same as Koufax, but from the right side. Could probably throw 95 mph today if he wanted to. Really liked the high leg delivery.

nolan_ryan6.gif

2. Pedro Martinez- From the initial start of his wind up motion, it doesn't look like his arm slots are difficult to figure out. But by the time he releases the pitch, his arm would do a quick snapping motion, pretty much making his pitches undefinable. I couldn't find a better .gif for his delivery, so here's him plucking a Yankee.

yankssox1.gif

1. Greg Maddux- Nerd when he showed up to the park, beast by the time he was finished with the game. By far the best pitcher I've seen in my lifetime, and his delivery was just smooth as butter. Sure, he always had a little leeway on the inside corner from umps, but I think it was a matter of that's how great his pitches looked.

MadduxDodgersKc.gif

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Mike Fetters

P7CiuHv.jpg

I think this was the dude that would look down then do a quick head move toward the batter with that hilarious stare when going into the set.

Top Bottom