• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

Malvingt2

BdZWVwHCIAE9N8z.jpg

Malvingt2

Greg Maddux won’t be a unanimous Hall of Famer for an incredibly stupid reason

There are 17 MLB.com writers who have been members of the Baseball Writers Association of America for 10 or more years and thus are eligible to vote for the Hall of Fame. Sixteen of them voted for Maddux. Dodgers beat reporter Ken Gurnick did not.

Why not? Gurnick wrote that he won’t vote for any player who “played during the period of PED use.” Not one. So who was on his ballot? Just Jack Morris. That’s the exact same ballot, and the same explanation, almost verbatim, that Gurnick submitted last year. Before you credit Gurnick for consistency, he had Lee Smith on his ballot in 2012 and dropped him last year without explanation, and in 2011 he did not vote for Morris.

Those irregularities merely reveal the internal hypocrisy of Gurnick’s votes. His reasoning is far more problematic, and not simply because he has decided to eliminate an entire generation of ballplayers from his ballot. One need not even wade into those waters to point out that Gurnick’s definition of “the period of PED use” is woefully lacking. Assuming one even could establish a starting point for such a period, it would have come comfortably within the playing days of Morris, Smith and Bert Blyleven, whom Gurnick also voted for in 2011.

http://mlb.si.com/2014/01/07/greg-maddux-ken-gurnick-dodgers-mlb-hall-of-fame-vote/

Zep

Banned
Thomas only getting on 11 of the 17 ballots shown...

That's a bigger WTF than some idiot(like every year) not voting for steroid era players.

So are the guys voting for HoFers eligible to vote for life once they've paid their dues for 10 years? Because this seems like the perfect case to strip somebody's privilege to vote away. Though apparently, even writers who are no longer writing about baseball can still vote or something?

HoF voting eligibility needs to be rehauled just like draft pick compensation. It does not belong in the game anymore and is counter intuitive.

And to think all the hubbub the writers put up over Deadspin buying a vote saying it destroys the hallowed sanctity of being able to vote. Shit is a goddamn joke.

BFIB

The writers voting for not only the HoF, but GG, MVP, etc. as a whole is screwed up.

Add in the fact that MLB didn't handle the steroid era, so now they are passing the buck to uninformed, egotistical writers to hold the moral ground.

Shit is a joke.

Syrinx

I hope one day a player gets elected into the Hall of Fame, stands up there to give his speech, and reveals that he was a steroid user. Just to embarrass all of these cunt BBWA writers who take it as their moral duty not to elect anybody who even might have done steroids, actual proof be damned, from getting in.

BFIB

I hope one day a player gets elected into the Hall of Fame, stands up there to give his speech, and reveals that he was a steroid user. Just to embarrass all of these cunt BBWA writers who take it as their moral duty not to elect anybody who even might have done steroids, actual proof be damned, from getting in.

Yeah, there's probably plenty who are already in that have taken them. I used to have a hard stance against it, but after looking through history, seeing the amount of players that used amphetamines, cocaine, etc. its hard to keep that stance anymore.

I still think there should be a mark on the plaque though if they did test positive. But at this point, none who have will get in.

Wins? GTOF with that nonsense. He won all those games because The Braves were good for more than a decade. He's not a 1st ballot HOF.

So you are going to discount every pitcher that played for a good team? Hell Rivera wouldnt have had anywhere near as many saves if he didnt play for the Yankees all those years.

IF it's any consolation, I think he probably did roids because it's just more likely than not. I'd still vote for him because we can't prove it and have no reason to suspect he did roids. But, I'd say he more likely than not did em based on the era.

IF it's any consolation, I think he probably did roids because it's just more likely than not. I'd still vote for him because we can't prove it and have no reason to suspect he did roids. But, I'd say he more likely than not did em based on the era.
This just in: Tom Glavine did steroids because hey, everyone else did.

jakncoke

Banned
29 pitchers reached at least 70 pitching war ever using BR metric

Roger Clemens 139.4
Greg Maddux 104.6
Randy Johnson 104.3
Pedro Martinez 86.0
Mike Mussina 82.6
Curt Schilling 80.7
Jim McCormick 75.5
Tom Glavine 74.0

Arent in, the rest are.

Roger Clemens - PED user, will get punished but will eventually make HOF
Greg Maddux - First ballot
Randy Johnson - First ballot
Pedro Martinez - First ballot
Mike Mussina - NOPE!
Curt Schilling - Should make it
Jim McCormick - Need to research his numbers
Tom Glavine - First ballot

BFIB

Moose is a HOFer no doubt, but not first ballot.

That 300 win plateau is too big to ignore, especially in the era in which it happened.

Sanjuro

Well, if I'm of the mindset that I'm not voting for Clemens, Piazza. Bagwell, etc due to PED use, then of course I'm going to lump Maddux in with them. I would just use my vote every year for a write in for Benny Agbayani.

Don't you dare denigrate Tommy G.

He contributed to the Braves losing by being below avg his 1st 4 years.

1991-2002
400 Starts
3.15 ERA

NL ERA was 3.60 91-92
approx 4.28 93-02

So over that stretch of 400 starts he was 1 run below the average.

Donny getting that extension through '16.

Also Ken lol. This kinda rage might happen.
1389065737084bpetk.png

The Ticked off eyes for not voting for Maddux

Friggz

Wins? GTOF with that nonsense. He won all those games because The Braves were good for more than a decade. He's not a 1st ballot HOF.

dont forget he was also a soft tossing lefty that didnt exactly limit walks, and wasnt known for his contraol . i do agree that he shouldnt be a first ballot hall of famer and will get in becuase of counting stats.

Mussina was better.

Talon

I mean, really, are we going to start pretending that the Braves pitchers benefited from the lineup for a decade because Eternal, Windu, and I might just die laughing.

Top Bottom