• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

El_Chino

no it doesnt. yankees were going after tanaka regardless of the arod situation.

now they have to bank on roberts/nunez/johnson to play second/third/part time at short. it helps the yankees front office, not the team on the field
Like A Rod was going to stay healthy all season.

aFIGurANT

Union sold out and threw ARod under the bus. The suspension is total bullshit. They nailed him as a 3 time offender on his first offense.

I was watching some of the coverage and I saw that in 2009 Alex had a press conference discussing his use of something bought in the DR over the counter. Was Alex just pressured into saying all that to avoid a fine and he didn't actually test positive for PEDs? So is this really his first positive test? From what I can tell they didn't even test him or Peralta or anyone else involved.

Ok so Anthony Bosch is doing an interview tomorrow on 60 Minutes where he reveals that A-Rod took HGH, Testosterone and other banned substance. And how A-Rod is scared of needles. Gotta see this and of course all the evidence has to be presented to MLB to see if it is all true.

Ok so Anthony Bosch is doing an interview tomorrow on 60 Minutes where he reveals that A-Rod took HGH, Testosterone and other banned substance. And how A-Rod is scared of needles. Gotta see this and of course all the evidence has to be presented to MLB to see if it is all true.

CBS about to get sued.

RBH

Jason Bay is retiring. End of an era.

jason-bay-2010-1-5-18-46-23.jpg

Hellion

^thats when he retired.

Yo I don't like Arod but this is some shit.

Too many games without a positive test. MLB failed and the MLBPA failed one of its players. A-Rod has been the target of something that began to happen since the late 80s and Bud Selig and MLB turned a blind eye because they wanted ratings. I'm a die hard Yankee fan but I hate Randy Levine with a passion and I could bet that he is feeling like he's in heaven at this moment because he wanted this to happen.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Man I remember when the Mets chose to sign Bay instead of Holliday and there were actually Mets fans delusional enough to think that was a good choice.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
IIRC Selig didn't use his "just cause" powers because that would open him up to more scrutiny. It's such bullshit. Melky Cabrera sets up a fake website to throw off investigators in his PED case, yet gets no additional games. Ryan Braun throws an innocent urine collector under the bus and only gets 15 more games. Yet somehow they arrived at the completely random 211 and now 162 numbers for A-Rod? The MLBPA should be in uproar about this clear abuse of power and blatant corruption.
oh yeah totally yeah

This is all about freeing up $30 million for one of the league's marquee franchises so that they can be more relevant and competitive, because that puts money in the pockets of everyone involved. If this were any other player, on any other team, they'd be treated a lot differently.

wait what no no no the yankee fans hate this move no no no

yeah noooo no no

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm totally kidding. Yankee fans are THRILLED. This guy was probably going to blow chunks and now we can take the money and get a shiny new toy. This is fucking awesome. I hope Teixeira gets suspended for being retarded.

ARod thing is bullshit. I'd sue Selig.

Hopefully this clears cap space for the Yanks so they can sign Omar Minaya to a lifetime contract

Quite happy with the Rodriguez decision. The sooner this piece of orange trash leaves baseball, the better. MLB is not perfect, but it has more guts than the NBA, the NHL, the NFL and the ATP combined.

Also very happy for Yankee fans, even if I rooted against your team oftentimes over the years. :p

Chris R

So I'm gonna watch some Mariners games in person this year.

Astros/Rangers end of April or Rangers/Nationals end of August?

I'm thinking the second, because TI4/PAX should be around then...

Unless someone wants to get me a $10 an hour raise and then I'd just go see both series :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So I'm gonna watch some Mariners games in person this year.

Astros/Rangers end of April or Rangers/Nationals end of August?

I'm thinking the second, because TI4/PAX should be around then...

Unless someone wants to get me a $10 an hour raise and then I'd just go see both series :p

Astros/Mariners is a great source of comedy.

I was watching some of the coverage and I saw that in 2009 Alex had a press conference discussing his use of something bought in the DR over the counter. Was Alex just pressured into saying all that to avoid a fine and he didn't actually test positive for PEDs? So is this really his first positive test? From what I can tell they didn't even test him or Peralta or anyone else involved.

he's never tested positive for anything. he used before they had testing in place. they didn't test anyone for the biogenesis. they basically trusted the word of a criminal.

Quite happy with the Rodriguez decision. The sooner this piece of orange trash leaves baseball, the better. MLB is not perfect, but it has more guts than the NBA, the NHL, the NFL and the ATP combined.

Also very happy for Yankee fans, even if I rooted against your team oftentimes over the years. :p

guess you're going to be about as fun as gout during the regular season. the biggest criminal in all this is that used car salesman gets to continue running the longest running con game ever. (i'm talking of Bud Selig of course)

he's never tested positive for anything. he used before they had testing in place. they didn't test anyone for the biogenesis. they basically trusted the word of a criminal.

guess you're going to be about as fun as gout during the regular season. the biggest criminal in all this is that used car salesman gets to continue running the longest running con game ever. (i'm talking of Bud Selig of course)
Cry me a river. Rodriguez has admitted using in the past, who cares if he didn't test positive this time - drug users have been circumventing the system for years through masking agents, cycles, etc. He is the only one who appealed/sued (re: Biogenesis) and that's probably because he suffers from a case of severe narcissism like Bonds and Clemens do (and the fact that, like those two, he is rich beyond belief).

And as far as trusting the word of a criminal, I take it you haven't ever followed the news: you don't catch bad guys by cutting deals with choirboys.

So if they Yankees don't sign any high price free agents(could afford some low price ones) and Soriano and Jeter do not reach there bonuses (both are very unlikely too) they will be under the 189 mil

eznark

Banned
Cry me a river. Rodriguez has admitted using in the past, who cares if he didn't test positive this time - drug users have been circumventing the system for years through masking agents, cycles, etc. He is the only one who appealed/sued (re: Biogenesis) and that's probably because he suffers from a case of severe narcissism like Bonds and Clemens do (and the fact that, like those two, he is rich beyond belief).

And as far as trusting the word of a criminal, I take it you haven't ever followed the news: you don't catch bad guys by cutting deals with choirboys.

It's more the fact that Bosch auctioned off his testimony and it just so happened MLB was the more motivated buyer. They bought him, who is to say they also didn't write his script?

Friggz

So if they Yankees don't sign any high price free agents(could afford some low price ones) and Soriano and Jeter do not reach there bonuses (both are very unlikely too) they will be under the 189 mil

no they wont. Without Arod, and using some arb. assumptions, Yanks are at $174mn for 23 roster spots (8 active). In other words, Plan189 is still dead.

It's more the fact that Bosch auctioned off his testimony and it just so happened MLB was the more motivated buyer. They bought him, who is to say they also didn't write his script?

Isnt it even more likely that they paid this guy to tell them what he knew about the players going there. If he was really paid to lie why did none of the other players fight their suspensions? Arod has admitted using in the past, I dont see why it is a stretch to think that he did again.

eznark

Banned
Isnt it even more likely that they paid this guy to tell them what he knew about the players going there. If he was really paid to lie why did none of the other players fight their suspensions? Arod has admitted using in the past, I dont see why it is a stretch to think that he did again.

I don't care about the speculative aspects of it, really. I care that he was willing to testify for either side but MLB won the bidding war (via cash and leverage). That's a known fact, not speculation. Obviously he would've had to lie for one side, who knows which side that was?

As to why no one is fighting their suspensions, look to that bastion of employee rights the friendly neighborhood union, which brokered the deals despite being clearly against the CBA. They were unwilling to stand with the players.

Zep

Banned
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...-minutes-mlb-protects-him-035853700--mlb.html
Bosch interview said:
Bosch claims that associates of Rodriguez attempted to bribe him to stay quiet. When that didn't work, he says they attempted to get him out of the country, and when that didn't work, he says, he started getting death threats.

But was more than happy to take the money of the MLB. This is the type of scumbag Alex wanted to deal with, these are the consequences you could be dealt.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Just noticed that the Yankees are going to win their 10,000th game as a franchise this year. They're at 9,947 right now.

The Cubs are going to lose their 10,000 game this year as well (9,976 currently). The Pirates might also cross the 10,000 loss rubicon, if they lose enough (9,925).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Looking over the last 4 years, the Yankees have the most wins in MLB with 372. The Rangers and Braves are tied for second with 370. Rays are third with 369. The next highest win total in the NL is the Cardinals with 261.

The Astros are in last over this period with 238 wins. No surprises here.

Data taken from BR.

Exactly.

Also within Elliott's article, a source provides this scouting report on Tanaka: "Plenty of great Japanese hitters say his four-seam fastball and splitter are indistinguishable. His regular season was outstanding: 95-96 mph, four-seam fastball, location was great, velocity was great and an unhittable splitter, along with a hard slider."
Elliott's source also outlined what Tanaka will be seeking from potential suitors. "Tanaka wants to go to a World Series, wants a city where his family will feel at home since they don’t speak English. He has a desire to be on a team with potential to win and loves the pressure."

Sounds like he wants to be a Yankee.

Top Bottom