• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Offseason '13-'14 |OT| Where the best fans live

rando14

V3nm5.jpg

See ya next year bitches.

"I'm outta here!!"

ivaBPrf4S5Moi.gif

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sad to see MLBPA completely sell out. Would have been unfathomable to imagine them catering to Selig's whims like this just a few years ago. Never thought I'd see the day where they just let Selig arbitrarily punish their members like this without putting up an iota of resistance.

Fatalah

A-Rod's hitting 70 homers in 2015. If you're not fans with him on Facebook, you all should do so. It's going to be an awesome period of A-Rod content this year.

Friggz

haha yeah right.

dude is not walking away from the 60 million plus the Yankees still owe him. Especially after this bullshit.

its more than 60 million, but with the money they save this year, it would "only" be about 80 million to buy out the rest of his contract. if they think arod is enough of a distraction...or whatever they think..they could go that route.

If i was arod i would sit at home, eat ice cream and play video games all day
like i do now
show up next year in miserable shape, and contribute the bare minimum.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
its more than 60 million, but with the money they save this year, it would "only" be about 80 million to buy out the rest of his contract. if they think arod is enough of a distraction...or whatever they think..they could go that route.

If i was arod i would sit at home, eat ice cream and play video games all day
like i do now
show up next year in miserable shape, and contribute the bare minimum.

I think ARod is way more professional than that. He shows up in the best shape hes been in years and forces the Yankees to play him. If he shows up in the shape you're describing Yankees will do everything they can do to send him home and not pay him anything. ARod will be doing the opposite, trying to force them to cut him and pay him so he can get paid to go play somewhere else.

I think this whole thing is bullshit. MLB has a drug testing policy that both the league and the PA agreed to and both they and a supposedly independent arbitrator turn a blind eye to Selig doing whatever the fuck he wants to do. Really hope he takes this to court. MLB is hiding just as many skeletons in the closet regarding this case as he is.

I hope ARod decides to play 2014 in Taiwan or some other league where MLB can't stop him from playing. Maybe the NPB can tell MLB to suck it and have ARod be a rock star in Japan.

I'll have to read a little more into it but it is my understanding he's being suspended just for the PED use and not obstruction. If that's the case and there are predetermined tiers of suspension for drug use, how was the 162+ games decided? Shouldn't the union be in an uproar if this is against the policy in the CBA?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'll have to read a little more into it but it is my understanding he's being suspended just for the PED use and not obstruction. If that's the case and there are predetermined tiers of suspension for drug use, how was the 162+ games decided? Shouldn't the union be in an uproar if this is against the policy in the CBA?

Union sold out and threw ARod under the bus. The suspension is total bullshit. They nailed him as a 3 time offender on his first offense.

Too many games without a positive test. MLB failed and the MLBPA failed one of its players. A-Rod has been the target of something that began to happen since the late 80s and Bud Selig and MLB turned a blind eye because they wanted ratings. I'm a die hard Yankee fan but I hate Randy Levine with a passion and I could bet that he is feeling like he's in heaven at this moment because he wanted this to happen.

Union sold out and threw ARod under the bus. The suspension is total bullshit. They nailed him as a 4 time offender on his first offense.

Thanks for the clarification. Sets a bad precedent for the union but I guess they are just as tired of talking about steroids as a lot of people are hearing about it.

Friggz

I think ARod is way more professional than that. He shows up in the best shape hes been in years and forces the Yankees to play him. If he shows up in the shape you're describing Yankees will do everything they can do to send him home and not pay him anything. ARod will be doing the opposite, trying to force them to cut him and pay him so he can get paid to go play somewhere else.

I think this whole thing is bullshit. MLB has a drug testing policy that both the league and the PA agreed to and both they and a supposedly independent arbitrator turn a blind eye to Selig doing whatever the fuck he wants to do. Really hope he takes this to court. MLB is hiding just as many skeletons in the closet regarding this case as he is.

I hope ARod decides to play 2014 in Taiwan or some other league where MLB can't stop him from playing. Maybe the NPB can tell MLB to suck it and have ARod be a rock star in Japan.

of course hes more professional than that. its just what i would do becuase im a bitter person that holds grudges.

and i agree with your other points.

Friggz

selig can also use his "just cause" power to determine the number of games he gets. which is where the 211 came from.

THe ban also includes the playoffs which is the only time a ban has included the playoffs. nobody can look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that this wasnt a witch hunt for arod.

selig is single handedly ruining baseball.

jbug617

Banned
Is ARod allowed to play somewhere else during his suspension? It would be cool to see him go to Japan to play for the year.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is ARod allowed to play somewhere else during his suspension? It would be cool to see him go to Japan to play for the year.

They couldn't stop him if he wanted to but I'm sure both MLB and the Yankees would try to argue that hes voiding the rest of his current contract by doing so.

Pretty sure Japan does honor MLB suspensions though so that wouldn't be an option unless they decided to for whatever reason let him in.

What a load of horse shit. Selig and the old cronies he represents are worse for baseball than any PED. I hope (if possible) A-Rod fights it and takes it higher.

sangreal

162 games is bullshit, should be 50. I look foward to A-Rod's lawsuits even though he is sure to lose them, at least it will dig up more dirt on Selig

Such BS. How can MLBPA allow this?

their statement basically boils down to "this sucks but oh well, what are you gonna do?"

what a joke

What a load of horse shit. Selig and the old cronies he represents are worse for baseball than any PED. I hope (if possible) A-Rod fights it and takes it higher.

Can it go higher? I was under the impression that the antitrust exemption gives MLB license to pretty do whatever it wants, as far as labour practices go...

selig can also use his "just cause" power to determine the number of games he gets. which is where the 211 came from.

THe ban also includes the playoffs which is the only time a ban has included the playoffs. nobody can look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that this wasnt a witch hunt for arod.

selig is single handedly ruining baseball.

IIRC Selig didn't use his "just cause" powers because that would open him up to more scrutiny. It's such bullshit. Melky Cabrera sets up a fake website to throw off investigators in his PED case, yet gets no additional games. Ryan Braun throws an innocent urine collector under the bus and only gets 15 more games. Yet somehow they arrived at the completely random 211 and now 162 numbers for A-Rod? The MLBPA should be in uproar about this clear abuse of power and blatant corruption. This is all about freeing up $30 million for one of the league's marquee franchises so that they can be more relevant and competitive, because that puts money in the pockets of everyone involved. If this were any other player, on any other team, they'd be treated a lot differently.

Friggz

IIRC Selig didn't use his "just cause" powers because that would open him up to more scrutiny. It's such bullshit. Melky Cabrera sets up a fake website to throw off investigators in his PED case, yet gets no additional games. Ryan Braun throws an innocent urine collector under the bus and only gets 15 more games. Yet somehow they arrived at the completely random 211 and now 162 numbers for A-Rod? The MLBPA should be in uproar about this clear abuse of power and blatant corruption. This is all about freeing up $30 million for one of the league's marquee franchises so that they can be more relevant and competitive, because that puts money in the pockets of everyone involved. If this were any other player, on any other team, they'd be treated a lot differently.

i thought i read somewhere that selig used the "just cuase" to get to 211 games, and i thught i remember him saying hes lucky he didnt give arod a lifetime ban.

but to be honest with you, there has been so many stories, and so much crap about this entire thing, i cant even say i care all that much anymore. all i know, that as a die hard yankee fan, it hurts the team, and they have another hole to fill now.

i thought i read somewhere that selig used the "just cuase" to get to 211 games, and i thught i remember him saying hes lucky he didnt give arod a lifetime ban.

but to be honest with you, there has been so many stories, and so much crap about this entire thing, i cant even say i care all that much anymore. all i know, that as a die hard yankee fan, it hurts the team, and they have another hole to fill now.

lol what? This 100% helps the Yankees.

Friggz

lol what? This 100% helps the Yankees.

no it doesnt. yankees were going after tanaka regardless of the arod situation.

now they have to bank on roberts/nunez/johnson to play second/third/part time at short. it helps the yankees front office, not the team on the field

zychi

Banned
big reason i'm not going to any games this year, and wont watch many games. this shit is getting out of hand.

who gives a shit if a player used peds? the nba's best player is on hgh, the nfl is fillllllllled to the brim with ped users. get off your high horse. all of these hof voters were around during the era cheering these players on and making money writing articles about the ped users. the entire league, and baseball media fucked up. move on.

instead of punishing the players, maybe the hof voters should lose their privileges on voting in the hof. for not bringing this to the public, because Jose Canseco had to do it for them.

Top Bottom