• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

gamz

It feels a little weird being a fan of a team that plays so many crazy playoff games the last couple years and find a way to win. Usually it's the other team on the field who does this.

Right?!? What happened to the Nats tonight always happened to the Cubs.

Josh5890

The first, second, third, and fourth largest cities in the USA will have their team represented in the championship series'. As such, the ALCS + NLCS may be the most watched championship series in a long time. Baseball commish didn't rig anything

Could've been minnesota Boston Arizona Washington lol

RBH

Harper looking more like a Met than a Yankee.
LhZgfBN.gif

zulux21

I don't know if it matters. He wants to join the Cubs anyway though I don't think the Cubs have the money to pay him.

as long as harper has a good year next year, I am not sure what teams in general have the money to pay him.

wouldn't be surprised given his age and talent if he wasn't commanding at least 35mil a year over 10 years.

That being said even though I know the white sox will have the money for him, I would prefer to not see that unless they can get him to only sign for 4 years or so so that he can try for another big payout at age 30. but I have a feeling he will just want to get paid and thus would likely want 10 years with an opt out so if in 4 years he thinks he can get more money he can opt out and if not he can just enjoy the rest of his contract.

zulux21

I can think of one...

I suppose the yankees are possible, but I also imagine they want to avoid luxury tax to some degree, and after replacing CC and getting an actual DH worth something they might not have the flexibility to sign harper and not pay a lot extra.

jman2050

I suppose the yankees are possible, but I also imagine they want to avoid luxury tax to some degree, and after replacing CC and getting an actual DH worth something they might not have the flexibility to sign harper and not pay a lot extra.

Is this a serious post?

mjp2417

Banned

I think the plan is to shed dead weight this year, go under the luxury tax (which is easily doable), and then splurge next offseason. I think everyone fully expects to be back in the tax come 2019 with a fully assembled death star. Cashman has already said as much.

zulux21

Is this a serious post?

yeah, last I checked they were still trying to control their spending to some degree.

I mean, even if the yankees have the money, I still doubt they get harper. Some team will bet their future on him even if they shouldn't.

I think the plan is to shed dead weight this year, go under the luxury tax (which is easily doable), and then splurge next offseason. I think everyone fully expects to be back in the tax come 2019 with a fully assembled death star.

to be fair, when they were originally planning that the yankees weren't supposed to compete this year. They might need to move up their big spending to this offseason to meet fan expectations.

but yeah, yankees are going to be annoying for a while in general. it's why it gives me joy when they fail :p

jman2050

to be fair, when they were originally planning that the yankees weren't supposed to compete this year. They might need to move up their big spending to this offseason to meet fan expectations.

but yeah, yankees are going to be annoying for a while in general. it's why it gives me joy when they fail :p

Big spending on what though? The 2017 FA class is nothing to write home about.

mjp2417

Banned

Honestly, I would hope that fans are now smart enough to realize that Otani should be the only real free agent priority this year, not the big money non-blue chippers from like the Royals and shit. Yankees walk into spring training with him and the prospect of further reinforcements from the farm system (i.e. Torres/Frazier/Adams) and an open checkbook for the greatest free agent class ever that is now looming, then no one with an IQ over 80 is going to complain. I can't think of a single sensible fan who would prefer we spend a ton of money on this offseason's equivalent of Ellsbury/McCann/Beltran, especially after this year. Rebuilding is fun!

Mortemis

Banned

Getting outta the luxury tax this offseason means when they hand out those fat contracts next year to get back in it, they'll be treated as first time luxury tax payers. It's huge to get under it now to reset.

Joe

I think the Yankees will pursue Machado much harder than Harper. I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't pursue Harper very seriously at all.

Harper's personality and the personality of the Yankees organization would be like oil and water and that kind of thing is important to the Steinbrenners and Cashman.

gamz

That was fucking nuts. Almost an 5 hours 9 inning game!?!?

Great series. Three dominate pitching performance by the Nats and not one Cub had a breakout game and they somehow win the series.

Entertaining as hell.

Edit:. I forgot that KB made two outs in the 5th! LOL

"Teams this postseason when not hitting a home run:
#Cubs 3-1
Everyone else: 1-7

#Cubs: first team ever to win an LDS without homering in any of their wins.

#Cubs were 1 for 11 with RISP and didn't hit a home run... yet still scored 9 runs.

Baseball is weird man.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
yay people who agree with me. Its chickenshit.

Yuuup. For/Against, it's bullshit.

MLB instituted rules to supposedly speed up the game IE The no pitch IBB. But then you have this "Let's waste 5 minutes to see if his foot came off the bag for a microsecond in instant replay".

Beckx

Yuuup. For/Against, it's bullshit.

MLB instituted rules to supposedly speed up the game IE The no pitch IBB. But then you have this "Let's waste 5 minutes to see if his foot came off the bag for a microsecond in instant replay".

Replay is such garbage.

Raw64life

I fell asleep when it was 9-6 and woke up to saw the Cubs won but didn't see how it happened until just now. Absolutely perfect. Get all the way fucked Harper.

I want to see Astros/Dodgers but all the teams I despise are now out so I'm fine with anything.

Harper looking more like a Met than a Yankee.

He's been too healthy. Only 1 DL stint in the last three seasons. And despite missing 50 games this season only 2 Mets got more ABs than him. He wouldn't fit in.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I fell asleep when it was 9-6 and woke up to saw the Cubs won but didn't see how it happened until just now. Absolutely perfect. Get all the way fucked Harper.

I want to see Astros/Dodgers but all the teams I despise are now out so I'm fine with anything.

He's been too healthy. Only 1 DL stint in the last three seasons. And despite missing 50 games this season only 2 Mets got more ABs than him. He wouldn't fit in.

Pfft, the Mets can break him in half a season.

3N16MA

Banned
yeah, last I checked they were still trying to control their spending to some degree.

I mean, even if the yankees have the money, I still doubt they get harper. Some team will bet their future on him even if they shouldn't.

There is very little avaible this offseason and the Yankees don't need to sign players to more bloated contracts to keep fans happy.

CC contract is off the books after this season, Headley is gone after next season, Gardy's contract is up after next season. Tanaka (if he stays), Ellsbury and Chapman will be the only guys left who are signed to big deals beyond 2018. Castro would have a year left on his contract but he may be gone at some point. Didi, Hicks, Romine, Gray, Severino, Betances, Kahnle, and a host of other players are arbitration eligible during 2019. Some may sign extensions and other may be gone. Judge, Sanchez, Green are under team control during 2019.

Yanks will reset the tax and will have plenty to spend after 2018. No guarantee they get Harper but they will spend big.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
oh hey, Marlins man
Local radio spotted him outside Minute Maid last week, they did a complete impromptu interview with him. He's independently wealthy, no kids, never married, if you see him on the phone at the game he's probably billing his time, he loves baseball and tries to go to as many games as possible. He's was advised by Cleveland Police that they couldnt guarantee his safety becuase he's gotten legit death threats cause Cleveland fans are assholes, so he didnt go to Yankees Cleveland. Last year he did all NL and this year he's trying to do all AL playoff games. Seems like a decent enough guy except for he said he got really popular because he came out with All Lives Matter.

So the 4 teams who made the biggest starting pitcher acquisitions at or around the deadline all advanced.

Astros - Verlander
Cubs - Quintana
Dodgers - Darvish
Yankees - Gray
since the Cubs won, the team with the better offense according to wRC won each series.

Sanjuro

Instant replay is shit probably 80% of the time.

Local radio spotted him outside Minute Maid last week, they did a complete impromptu interview with him. He's independently wealthy, no kids, never married, if you see him on the phone at the game he's probably billing his time, he loves baseball and tries to go to as many games as possible. He's was advised by Cleveland Police that they couldnt guarantee his safety becuase he's gotten legit death threats cause Cleveland fans are assholes, so he didnt go to Yankees Cleveland. Last year he did all NL and this year he's trying to do all AL playoff games. Seems like a decent enough guy except for he said he got really popular because he came out with All Lives Matter.

He was at Fenway for the last game earlier this week. Your description is pretty close to what I imagined. Still really cool.

I like John Lott as a writer, but his piece about the staff dismissals at the Jays is... bad.

Couple hundred words about how evil this all is, and then he adds

There is, of course, nothing inherently nefarious about that. It happens all the time in business. Often it happens much faster than it has under Shapiro, who, after two full seasons at the helm, still employs many of the staff from the Paul Beeston-Alex Anthopoulos era

J2 Cool

That was fucking nuts. Almost an 5 hours 9 inning game!?!?

Great series. Three dominate pitching performance by the Nats and not one Cub had a breakout game and they somehow win the series.

Entertaining as hell.

Edit:. I forgot that KB made two outs in the 5th! LOL

"Teams this postseason when not hitting a home run:
#Cubs 3-1
Everyone else: 1-7

#Cubs: first team ever to win an LDS without homering in any of their wins.

#Cubs were 1 for 11 with RISP and didn't hit a home run... yet still scored 9 runs.

Baseball is weird man.

That’s what made it feel like such a game pulled out our ass. Not sure how they squeezed that W out. Felt like we were losing at some pivotal moments during that series

Velcro Fly

I didn't even realize KB made two outs in the 5th inning until the next inning they were talking about getting the first two outs and then fucking up and giving up runs and I realized that KB and Rizzo made outs before the fuckery happened with Scherzer. That inning was so insane it made me forget how mad I was at KB for sucking.

Mrbob

Listening to the radio, sounds like a Cubs family member had an emergency situation on the flight to LA and the team landed in Albuquerque New Mexico for medical assistance. Hopefully it's not too serious, but the team might not even get to LA until tomorrow morning.

since the Cubs won, the team with the better offense according to wRC won each series.

Defense doesn't win championships in baseball

Top Bottom