• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Caja 117

this is the entire problem right here. you're admitting that you're biased because of what you want to be true. baseball has moved on from these things.
What? I already explained my opinion how it is, and we dont agree upon it, thats it, one of the reason I love the game is because of these intangibles, And is not what I want to be True, is what I have experienced and seen in baseball for 30 years.

What? I already explained my opinion how it is, and we dont agree upon it, thats it, one of the reason I love the game is because of these intangibles, And is not what I want to be True, is what I have experienced and seen in baseball for 30 years.

i'm just saying that you basically invalidated all your arguments by admitting that you let emotion form your opinions. enjoy the game however you'd like, but your perception of the game is misleading you. you keep talking about how you've "experienced" and "seen" these things, but you haven't. i'm not going to debate analytics vs "but muh childhood"

JambiBum

The concept of momentum isn't just unique to baseball though. Look at the superbowl last year with the Falcons falling apart. Do you enjoy other sports or just baseball? If you don't, why does momentum in baseball matter so much to you but not when it comes to other sports? I feel like basketball can fall pretty heavily into this category as well because of people being hot or cold in shooting.

Caja 117

The concept of momentum isn't just unique to baseball though. Look at the superbowl last year with the Falcons falling apart. Do you enjoy other sports or just baseball? If you don't, why does momentum in baseball matter so much to you but not when it comes to other sports? I feel like basketball can fall pretty heavily into this category as well because of people being hot or cold in shooting.

I like NFL, I hate NBA as I find that league makes Basketball boring, as well I find soccer boring as well, NHL for me is not even in the radar. but, yeah I'm aware that concept is not unique to baseball, given this is a baseball conversation I decided not to go to or use other sports for examples.

Momentum being the reason for anything just feels like a flimsy excuse to get out of explaining why things happen. There are reasons why games are won and lost, not just because one team had more grit than the other.

Last night was on Roberts putting out a line up with two automatic outs on it and thinking it was acceptable in a knockout game.

JambiBum

Momentum being the reason for anything just feels like a flimsy excuse to get out of explaining why things happen. There are reasons why games are won and lost, not just because one team had more grit than the other.

Last night was on Roberts putting out a line up with two automatic outs on it and thinking it was acceptable in a knockout game.

I think the momentum discussion just ran off into a general thing and wasn't specific to the game last night. Roberts obviously put out a bad lineup and thats part of why things went the way they did, but if the Cubs win tonight and the lineup is different, does that show that momentum has swung in favor of the Cubs? I think people like to use the momentum reason to explain things that can't really be explained in a tangible way.

I think the momentum discussion just ran off into a general thing and wasn't specific to the game last night. Roberts obviously put out a bad lineup and thats part of why things went the way they did, but if the Cubs win tonight and the lineup is different, does that show that momentum has swung in favor of the Cubs? I think people like to use the momentum reason to explain things that can't really be explained in a tangible way.

No it would show that a good team beat another good team.

Caja 117

I kind of hate that my argument is been misinterpreted on what I said originally, as I never said Cubs gained momentum because of last night win or won because of Momentun:

Dodgers cant let the Cubs take the series back to Dodgers stadium.

I posted this before the game was over, someone asked me why not, and I gave my explanation:

Because not only that will put on presure on Dodgers, but you also have Lester set for game 6, and if Dodgers loose game 6 they are not winning game 7. Knowing how Roberts was on the winning side of the 2004 ALCS he understand better than anyone how momentun can swing to the other side easily.

I edited the second sentence in after (you can see that on the reply I got that doesn't include it), but the crux in my argument is not about momentum, is that I see the potential matchup of Lester vs Hill to be in Cubs favor, believing that a game 7 the pressure will be harder on Dodgers.

if you want, change Momentun to a more suitable word if you like to explain how Roberts experience understand what could happen.

I was pretty upset about it last night, but honestly, I don't mind Roberts putting them out there to give them at-bats. I mean, even with those automatic outs, the Dodgers came close to coming back in a few instances. If the Dodgers do advance, you can expect that the roster will include Granderson and Utley because reasons
(some dumb shit about "being wily veterans" and "having been there before")

Caja 117

I was pretty upset about it last night, but honestly, I don't mind Roberts putting them out there to give them at-bats. I mean, even with those automatic outs, the Dodgers came close to coming back in a few instances. If the Dodgers do advance, you can expect that the roster will include Granderson and Utley because reasons

I think Granderson striking out 4 times was just the biggest joke I have seen a while, I'm pretty sure when the umps rewarded him with another chance they probably were saying just give the poor guy another shot given he struck out 3 times already.

Mrbob

Cubs typically hit Kershaw pretty well but their playoff hitting hasn't been good so I'm still not too optimistic.

Still, if cubs win tonight I think this series goes 7. Not saying the Cubs will win in 7, but that it goes to 7.

I'm okay with Utley being a bench bat, but Granderson shouldn't be on the roster at all.
I'd rather have Farmer or any of the other rookies from AAA.

I would literally rather have a pitcher bat than Granderson right now.

I think Granderson striking out 4 times was just the biggest joke I have seen a while, I'm pretty sure when the umps rewarded him with another chance they probably were saying just give the poor guy another shot given he struck out 3 times already.

Yea seriously. All of the commentary last night was about how Granderson has hit Arrieta really well and that's why Roberts put him in the lineup. Well that was peak Granderson vs. shitty Baltimore Arrieta. Last night, you had old Granderson vs. ace-levels Arrieta. That golden sombrero was not a fluke.

Granderson shouldn't be in the WS roster.

Caja 117

Yea seriously. All of the commentary last night was about how Granderson has hit Arrieta really well and that's why Roberts put him in the lineup. Well that was peak Granderson vs. shitty Baltimore Arrieta. Last night, you had old Granderson vs. ace-levels Arrieta. That golden sombrero was not a fluke.

Granderson shouldn't be in the WS roster.

I'm positive Seager will take that Spot.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Your snark is uncalled for.
It's all in good fun. Nothing wrong with watching the game from your viewpoint at all. My brother is like that and we have fun watching games together. There are unquantifiable ways in which the game is affected, the intangibles if you will. It's just that they aren't good predictors of future performance. Take Gardner for example, he grinded out an excellent at bat to get through the Indians. Since then all he's done is to try to pull the ball which has lead to an infinite amount of ground balls to second. We can say that he's trying to do too much with each pitch which is why he's pulling the ball to hit it out. That's not a wrong statement but to tell him to stop doing too much won't solve the issue. He's going to have to change his approach based on analytics.

Caja 117

It's all in good fun. Nothing wrong with watching the game from your viewpoint at all. My brother is like that and we have fun watching games together. There are unquantifiable ways in which the game is affected, the intangibles if you will. It's just that they aren't good predictors of future performance. Take Gardner for example, he grinded out an excellent at bat to get through the Indians. Since then all he's done is to try to pull the ball which has lead to an infinite amount of ground balls to second. We can say that he's trying to do too much with each pitch which is why he's pulling the ball to hit it out. That's not a wrong statement but to tell him to stop doing too much won't solve the issue. He's going to have to change his approach based on analytics.

Just fell it was a jab at me, no harm taken.

Yeah, okay Utley is fine.

I sure hope he's healthy by then.

he probably won't be healthy but I mean its the World Series.. plenty of opportunity for rest after this

you could tell that he wasnt right in the diamondbacks series, but I still feel better with him in the lineup

that said, I dont even wanna talk about that rn lets win 1 game pls

Caja 117

he probably won't be healthy but I mean its the World Series.. plenty of opportunity for rest after this

you could tell that he wasnt right in the diamondbacks series, but I still feel better with him in the lineup

that said, I dont even wanna talk about that rn lets win 1 game pls

I mean, he can be the DH on the AL home games, so there is that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
granderson doubling down is hilarious

Granderson acknowledged that he had looked up at the replay on the video board. When asked what he saw, he took a tactful pause to choose his words.

”I don't know what it looked like, but I hit the ball," he said. ”The replay isn't always going to show it."

”If Granderson hits the next pitch out," Maddon said, ”I might have come running out of the clubhouse in my jock strap."

Granderson batting .150 since he joined the Dodgers. If Dave Roberts has him in the lineup they deserve to lose. :p

RC0101

Dodgers lineup, I like it!

NLCS Game 5:
Taylor CF
Turner 3B
Bellinger 1B
Puig RF
Forsythe 2B
Hernández LF
Barnes C
Culberson SS
Kershaw P