• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Playoffs 2017 OT:It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Remember when the Cubs could have gotten Andrew Miller for Kyle Schwarber?

oh man, what were they thinking by not trading a top 15 prospect for a relief pitcher

a) that's an overly definitive way to talk about a rumor that never seemed to have any legs

b) it was a dumb proposition at the time. you don't give up on young cost controlled bats with huge potential for a reliever, no matter how good he is. playing the hindsight game with trades like this is pointless

c) i'm glad a trade like this never happened, but it could have changed everything. schwarber suddenly returning from the dead and hitting line drives all over the place in the world series is legendary.

d) schwarber is still only 24 and proved this year he is a very capable defender in left. his stock has fallen, but his fate is far from determined. this time next year we could be saying the exact opposite.

edit: just for fun- miller had 2.3 fwar this season, schwarber had 1.5

bebop242

Schwarber is still young and can bounce back offensively but he is NOT currently or will ever be a good (even serviceable) defensive option. He's destined to be a DH someday.

Schwarber is still young and can bounce back offensively but he is NOT currently or will ever be a good (even serviceable) defensive option. He's destined to be a DH someday.

he's more than servicable, he's flat out decent. i'm surprised to hear this from you. the adam dunn stuff with schwarber has always been so frustrating. yes he's fat and makes some goofy errors every once in a while. he also has an awesome arm that makes up for a lot of it. he is grading out fine over there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lol

DMhlD6oUMAA3OKX.jpg

jman2050

I will continue to maintain that owning up to the fact that your team is the evil bad guy that usually wins and that everyone else hates and not making excuses for that fact is far more preferable to trying to play the lovable losers and/or victims card when their team has sustained success like certain other fanbases do.

Mrbob

Yankees life is hard man.

At least if Cubs lose Arrieta went out like a boss. Won the wild card game, won two world series games, and kept the season alive last night. I'll miss him on the staff.

Remember when the Cubs could have gotten Andrew Miller for Kyle Schwarber?
After he bats over. 275 and belts 35 home runs next year we can trade him to the Yankees.

bebop242

he's more than servicable, he's flat out decent. i'm surprised to hear this from you. the adam dunn stuff with schwarber has always been so frustrating. yes he's fat and makes some goofy errors every once in a while. he also has an awesome arm that makes up for a lot of it. he is grading out fine over there.

While I think I may have been a little harsh on him, I feel like I cannot name many LFs that I would pick him over based on strickly defensive ability.

Yankees life is hard man.

At least if Cubs lose Arrieta went out like a boss. Won the wild card game, won two world series games, and kept the season alive last night. I'll miss him on the staff.

Agreed. He was a big part of the Cubs emergence and I wish him the best. Unless he signs with St Louis.

With the way things go for the Yankees, Schwarber would have hit 50 homers along with Judge.

Schwarber for Betances is actually something I'd be all about, tbh.

He *would* hit 50 in Yankee Stadium, and it's probably easier to get him than say...a JD Martinez who's probably getting a high 8/low 9 figure deal.

Top Bottom